Re: [Pali] Dhp-a, HinĂ¼ber, Kumaarakassapa, Buddhaghosa

  • Jim Anderson
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2003
      Hi Rett,

      > > I checked the Thai Budsir reading and it is close to H.C. Norman's
      > > version. The only difference is that instead of '...khaadi, taa',
      the
      > > Thai version reads '...khaaditaa...' a past participle with
      'imaaya'
      > > as the instrumental agent (by her). There is a double quotation
      mark
      > > before 'imaaya'. I'd have to agree that '...khaadi, taa' is not
      right.
      > > I couldn't tell you which of the two readings, Thai or Burmese, is
      > > better.
      >
      > Mucho thanks for this. It's very helpful, and seems to show how
      > important it is to have multiple editions to refer to. The reading
      you
      > describe above wasn't even mentioned in any of HC Norman's variants,
      > yet it seems very important. What is this 'Thai Budhsir' version? Is
      it
      > a printed edition from Thailand?

      The Thai Budsir refers to a cd-rom disk I bought in 1996. It contains
      the Thai version of the Pali Tipitaka with the Atthakathas (115 vols).
      Budsir is an acronym for BUDdhist Scriptures Information Retrieval. It
      cost me a lot of money ($300 usd), but you can have access to an
      online one for free at www.budsir.org/program/ and it is searchable.
      It takes a while to get set up as your computer will have to download
      some files (about a megabyte on a PC). I think you should be able to
      access it with your Mac.

      > By the way, you mentioned that you haven't specifically studied the
      > Dhp-a. What is it you're interested in working with? Just curious
      :-)

      I'm interested in working with just about anything written in Pali.
      Some of the texts I've been working on lately are the Visuddhimagga
      and the Kaccayanavyaakara.na. I'm also interested in other native Pali
      grammars such as the Saddaniti. I also like to compare Pali and
      Sanskrit words and this involves working with Panini's Sanskrit
      system. I first got interested in Pali in 1973 and began studying it
      with Warder's Introduction to Pali in 1976. Even though I've spent
      about 27 years and tens of thousands of hours studying the language
      and the texts, I still have a long way to go.

      Best wishes,
      Jim
    • Everett Thiele
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 4, 2003
        Hi Jim and Folks,

        >The Thai Budsir refers to a cd-rom disk I bought in 1996. It contains
        >the Thai version of the Pali Tipitaka with the Atthakathas (115 vols).
        >Budsir is an acronym for BUDdhist Scriptures Information Retrieval. It
        >cost me a lot of money ($300 usd), but you can have access to an
        >online one for free at www.budsir.org/program/ and it is searchable.
        >It takes a while to get set up as your computer will have to download
        >some files (about a megabyte on a PC). I think you should be able to
        >access it with your Mac.

        Thanks, I'll try this out.

        >I'm interested in working with just about anything written in Pali.
        >Some of the texts I've been working on lately are the Visuddhimagga
        >and the Kaccayanavyaakara.na. I'm also interested in other native Pali
        >grammars such as the Saddaniti. I also like to compare Pali and
        >Sanskrit words and this involves working with Panini's Sanskrit
        >system. I first got interested in Pali in 1973 and began studying it
        >with Warder's Introduction to Pali in 1976. Even though I've spent
        >about 27 years and tens of thousands of hours studying the language
        >and the texts, I still have a long way to go.

        I know the feeling. This language seems never-ending. And I think I
        still have a long way to go to get to your level. I hope you'll be
        around if I have more questions :-) Anyhow it sounds like you are
        reading some very challenging material. The closest thing I'm looking
        at that might resemble your current interests is the Nettipakarana,
        which by tradition is also by Kaccayana.

        The reason I'm reading the Dhp-a is that I enjoy stories, and the
        narratives aren't too hard (for the most part) so it feels like good
        practice at trying to build up reading comprehension and speed. I
        keep waiting for the day when I'll just be turning pages like a
        bed-time novel in English. When will it happen?

        best regards,

        --Rett