R: [Pali] Pali Word by Word 2003/31 [018]

  • mariomanzoni
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2003
      perhaps is :
      abhi + nand + a
      abhinandati=rejoices at; finds pleasure in; approves of.

      Abhinandati [abhi + nandati] to rejoice at, find pleasure in (acc.), approve
      of, be pleased or delighted with (acc.) D I.46 (bhaasitaM), 55 (id.), 158,
      223; M I.109, 458; S I.32 (annaM), 57, 14, (cakkhuM, ruupe etc.); A IV.411;
      Th 1, 606; Dh 75, 219; Sn 1054, 1057, 1111; Nd2 82; Miln 25; DA I.160; DhA
      III.194 (aor. abhinandi, opp. pa.tikkosi) VvA 65 (vacanaM). -- pp.
      abhinandita (q. v.). <-> Often in combn. with abhivadati (q. v.).

      metta
      mario

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2003
        Dear Yong Peng and Mario,
        Yes, rejoice, approve. Now we have the form abhinandunti: the aorist
        abhinandum+ti. This ti maybe from iti? Emphatic.
        The te could be translated: those monks...Demonstrative,not just the article
        the.
        Nina.

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2003
          Dear Nina, Mario and friends,

          thanks very much.

          DN2 Samaññaphala Sutta CSCD253/PTS1.85
          Attamanaa te bhikkhuu bhagavato bhaasita.m abhinandunti.
          delighted / those / monks / of the Blessed One / saying / rejoiced at
          Those delighted monks rejoiced at the saying of the Blessed One.

          attamana (adj.) delighted.
          bhikkhu (m.) monk.
          bhagavato (gen. of bhagavant) of the Blessed One.
          bhaasita (n.) saying.
          abhinandum (aorist 3rd per. plural) rejoiced at; were
          pleased/delighted with.
          abhinandunti = abhinandum+iti : they rejoiced at; were
          pleased/delighted with (emphatic).

          metta,
          Yong Peng