Re: [Pali] Dhp-a, HinĂ¼ber, Kumaarakassapa, Buddhaghosa

  • Everett Thiele
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2003
      Hi Jim,

      > I don't know too much about the dating of texts or
      > contents, and their authorship.

      Me neither, to be honest. I don't mind if we stick to other questions.

      > I checked the Thai Budsir reading and it is close to H.C. Norman's
      > version. The only difference is that instead of '...khaadi, taa', the
      > Thai version reads '...khaaditaa...' a past participle with 'imaaya'
      > as the instrumental agent (by her). There is a double quotation mark
      > before 'imaaya'. I'd have to agree that '...khaadi, taa' is not right.
      > I couldn't tell you which of the two readings, Thai or Burmese, is
      > better.

      Mucho thanks for this. It's very helpful, and seems to show how
      important it is to have multiple editions to refer to. The reading you
      describe above wasn't even mentioned in any of HC Norman's variants,
      yet it seems very important. What is this 'Thai Budhsir' version? Is it
      a printed edition from Thailand?

      By the way, you mentioned that you haven't specifically studied the Dhp-
      a. What is it you're interested in working with? Just curious :-)

      Best regards,

      --Rett