Re: [Pali] Digest Number 579

  • Samita the Brave
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2003
      Dear Pali Friends,

      i am wondering about the meaning of my Pali Dhamma Name, "Samita". When i first got it i was told that it meant "one who controls the mind". However i looked it up recently in an encyclopedia of Pali names and it said "good and dutiful son" or something similar to that. i am pretty sure, though not entirely, that there aren't any elongated vowels. Thanks for yr help, yep yep:

      -samita
    • m. nease
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2003
        Hi (Ven.?) Samita,

        Ven. Buddhadatta has:

        Samita (pp. of sameti), calmed, appeased.

        mike