Re: [Pali] Dhp-a, HinĂ¼ber, Kumaarakassapa, Buddhaghosa

  • Jim Anderson
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2003
      Hi Rett,

      > Good point. I just had a quick look at the introductory verses and
      > do seem to say that the text is translated from Sinhala
      > into Pali (tantibhaasa). However it does also seem to say (now from
      > Burlingame's translation) that the author/translator intends to
      > embellish the translation with his own explanations when necessary,
      > though sticking to the spirit of the original.

      Okay, that points to Buddhaghosa as having a hand in the word-by-word

      > > In my opinion, the a.t.thakathaas
      > > originated with the a.t.thakathaacariyas, all of whom were
      > > belonging to the first few centuries of the saasana.
      > >
      > Do you place any truck in the idea that works composed within a
      > or tradition, often are ascribed to the founder of the school, even
      > composed much later? (like a trademark, or a way of giving the text
      > more authority) So that elaborate works, which on linguistic grounds
      > couldn't have been composed in the first few centuries of the
      > could still have originated in an earlier form at that time?

      I'm having a little trouble following you. However, in spite of this,
      I'm inclined to disagree with the first part but agree with the last
      part. It could be that a text evolves and expands over a long period
      of time. But it's very hard to know what the original work was like if
      it has disappeared. I don't know too much about the dating of texts or
      contents, and their authorship. It's really a difficult thing for me
      to talk about.

      > > Later, I'll have a look at the line you quoted from Dhp-a in your
      > > subsequent post which I found very interesting.
      > I hope you have time to do so as it's been puzzling me a lot. Thanks
      > for your response.

      I checked the Thai Budsir reading and it is close to H.C. Norman's
      version. The only difference is that instead of '...khaadi, taa', the
      Thai version reads '...khaaditaa...' a past participle with 'imaaya'
      as the instrumental agent (by her). There is a double quotation mark
      before 'imaaya'. I'd have to agree that '...khaadi, taa' is not right.
      I couldn't tell you which of the two readings, Thai or Burmese, is

      In my earlier message I misspelt a word. 'exhonerated' should have
      been 'exonerated'.