Re: [Pali] TRANSLATION

  • Everett Thiele
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2003
      Dear Pali Friend,

      You wrote:

      > Translate the Meaning !
      > not the words ...

      To me this depends on the purpose of the translation. If it's to be
      literary or inspirational, then freer, more idiomatic translation is
      appropriate. But if the translation is a record of how one interprets a
      textual passage it should be as literal and word-for-word as possible,
      even sometimes to the point of bending English syntax and style.
      Literal translation is important at all stages of languge learning,
      including with Pali. It is the only thing that makes it possible for us
      to discuss questions of interpretation (the alternative, diagramming
      sentences can be useful but it's pretty ponderous and only reflects
      syntax). So in a classroom setting I wouldn't recommend your advice.

      best regards,

      --Rett