Dhp-a, Hinüber, Kumaarakassapa, Buddhaghosa

  • Everett Thiele
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2003
      > I think Von Hin�ber is in error here. I read the name Kumaarakassapena
      > at the bottom (Dhp-a I 1) and this goes with the past participle
      > 'abhiyaacito' -- requested by the Thera Kumaarakassapa.

      Hi,

      I tried to chase down the von Hin�ber reference; was it to _A Handbook
      of Pali Literature_, 1996?

      There, in section 262, he calls Kumaarakassapa the 'initiator' of the
      work, rather than the author or translator. That would seem to fit
      with 'abhiyaacito'.

      "262. The initiator of the anonymous Dhp-a is the otherwise unknown
      Thera Kumaarakassapa who intended to make the commentary known beyond
      the Island by a tranlsation from Sinhalese (Dhp-a I2 1,11-13)"

      About Buddhaghosa's traditional authorship, is one reason people are
      reluctant to believe it simply that the explanatory portions of the Dhp-
      a (as opposed to the narratives) are of very low quality (not
      consistent with the work of the author of the Visuddhimagga etc)?

      best,

      --Rett

      > The CPD Epilegomena assigns Buddhaghosa as the author.
      >
      > Best wishes,
      > Jim
      >
      > << Dear Yong Peng,
      >
      > It appears to be a case of tradition vs. the academics.
      > In "Pali Literature and Language" Geiger states,(p.32)
      > "According to the introductory verses, which are however
      > quite stereotyped, it is the Paali translation of an
      > original Singhalese A.t.thakathaa. In my opinion it is
      > quite improbable that Buddhaghosa himself was the author
      > of this commentary."
      > Geiger's only explanation is a footnote: Gnvs., p. 59, 88
      > (both numbers have 27 as a superscript)
      > I'm not certain but I believe this refers to the Gandhava.msa,
      > JPTS. 1886, p.54 ff.
      >
      > When Von Hin�ber attributes the work to Thera Kumaarakassapa
      > his reference is to: (Dhp-a I2 1,11*-13*)
      > I believe this is a reference to H.C Norman's edition of the
      > Commentary, (1909).
      >
      > Does anyone know what the Epilegomena of the CPD says?
      >
      > The Best to You,
      > Paul
      >

      > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Ong Yong Peng" <ypong001@y...> wrote:
      > > Dear Paul, Dimitry and friends,
      > >
      > > I do not have any references to provide, but in the preface to his
      > > book, Daw Mya Tin attributes the commentary to Buddhaghosa.
      > > http://www.tipitaka.net/tipitaka/dhp/
      > >
      > > You are referring to Hin�ber's which is later (I believe) than
      > > Geiger's. Both may have their arguments based on the studies and
      > > research they conducted. Whoever the commentator is, I am sure we
      > are
      > > referring to the same Dhammapada Commentary.
      > >
      > > metta,
      > > Yong Peng
      > >
      > > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, paulocuana wrote:
      > > > Dear Dimitry,
      > > >
      > > > Thank you. I don't wish to argue. Just to be sure what
      > > > Pali work you and Yong Peng are recommending is enough.
      > > >
      > > > Peace,
      > > > Paul O Cuana

      ->
      > Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US &
      Canada.

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/