hello

  • laura wyper
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 22, 2003
      hello, I just joined the group...I'm not yet learning
      Pali but it is the reason why I joined..I've wanted to
      learn for a long time and as I'm watching the sunrise
      this morning it felt like today was the day to look
      into it...any tips as to what is a good starter
      resource book..or other online resources I should know
      about as a beginner? [I'm very excited and glad this
      group exists..thank-you] laura

      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 22, 2003
        You may like to start with the Pali Day by Day series.

        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 22, 2003
          You may like to start with the Pali Day by Day series.

          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, laura wyper wrote:
          > hello, I just joined the group...I'm not yet learning
          > Pali but it is the reason why I joined..I've wanted to
          > learn for a long time and as I'm watching the sunrise
          > this morning it felt like today was the day to look
          > into it...any tips as to what is a good starter
          > resource book..or other online resources I should know
          > about as a beginner? [I'm very excited and glad this
          > group exists..thank-you] laura
        • pakdi yanawaro
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 22, 2003
            This website is recommended for starting with pali
            study

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 22, 2003
              http://metta.lk/pali-utils/ this website is
              recommended
              --- laura wyper <laurawyper@...> wrote:
              > hello, I just joined the group...I'm not yet
              > learning
              > Pali but it is the reason why I joined..I've wanted
              > learn for a long time and as I'm watching the
              > sunrise
              > this morning it felt like today was the day to look
              > into it...any tips as to what is a good starter
              > resource book..or other online resources I should
              > know
              > about as a beginner? [I'm very excited and glad this
              > group exists..thank-you] laura

              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
            • paulocuana
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 23, 2003
                Try this link:
                http://www.accesstoinsight.org/other.html#pali
                Good Luck!
                paul

                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 23, 2003
                  Hello! ucan try this website as well
                  http://www.orunla.org/tm/pali/htpali/pcourse.html
                  --- paulocuana <paulocuana@...> wrote:
                  > Try this link:
                  > http://www.accesstoinsight.org/other.html#pali
                  > Good Luck!
                  > paul
                  >

                  > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, laura wyper
                  > <laurawyper@y...> wrote:
                  > > hello, I just joined the group...I'm not yet
                  > learning
                  > > Pali but it is the reason why I joined..I've
                  > wanted to
                  > > learn for a long time and as I'm watching the
                  > sunrise
                  > > this morning it felt like today was the day to
                  > look
                  > > into it...any tips as to what is a good starter
                  > > resource book..or other online resources I should
                  > know
                  > > about as a beginner? [I'm very excited and glad
                  > this
                  > > group exists..thank-you] laura

                  http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                • johnny pruitt
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 27, 2006
                    Hello fellow members
                    I am new to this group and am also studing pali.
                    I am not sure if it has already been discused but does anyone else have trouble differentiating between the meanings of the enclitic particles such as EVA, HI, and KHO.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 28, 2006
                      Dear Johnny,
                      Welcome here. Excellent question. We can get meanings from the dict.
                      but that is not enough, we have to learn how they are used. I am also
                      delighted to learn more about particles from experts here. (this is a
                      hint!)
                      Nina.
                      Op 28-aug-2006, om 1:45 heeft johnny pruitt het volgende geschreven:

                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 29, 2006
                        Wow I cant believe I have the opportunity to corespond with Nina Gorkam. Its truely an honor. I have read over your articles on the web quite a bit. Thanks for the reply

                        Johnny Pruitt

                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 30, 2006
                          Dear Johnny,
                          the name Pruitt sounds familiar to me, in connection with PTS?
                          Back to the particles.
                          Yong Peng used to give us the word of the week with examples and
                          particles were included. Perhaps he could help tracing these old
                          posts? Long ago, they were very good.

                          I can only give scarce info, it depends so much on the context what
                          their meaning is.
                          As I remember, hi can refer to what follows in a clause. In
                          connection with pana: panahi: again, further, but. To mark a contrast
                          and this can be quite strong.
                          Kho: for emphasis, indeed, really. I do not always translate it. Atha
                          kho: and then, in a narration.
                          Ki.m nu kho: in a question. Kho is often in combination with other
                          particles.
                          Eva: just, even. Only (giving a limitation and this is strong).
                          Today in my Tiika reading: te eva (dhammaa): this is with great
                          emphasis: these same dhammas...
                          In a simile: eva.m eva kho: in the same way.
                          There is more to it (as always). I hope experts like Ven. Dhammanando
                          or Jim can help further. Jim is very good with particles, I used to
                          have a good time with these.
                          Nina.

                          Op 29-aug-2006, om 20:02 heeft johnny pruitt het volgende geschreven:

                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 30, 2006
                            Thank you Nina that really helps clarify the uses. I have not been able to find the old messages in the archives so maybe Dhammanando could help.
                            Also I believe that there is a man named William Pruitt that works as a translator in the Pali text society. Their does not seem to be any similar family anscentry.
                            Johnny Pruitt
                            Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:
                            Dear Johnny,
                            the name Pruitt sounds familiar to me, in connection with PTS?
                            Back to the particles.
                            Yong Peng used to give us the word of the week with examples and
                            particles were included. Perhaps he could help tracing these old
                            posts? Long ago, they were very good.

                            I can only give scarce info, it depends so much on the context what
                            their meaning is.
                            As I remember, hi can refer to what follows in a clause. In
                            connection with pana: panahi: again, further, but. To mark a contrast
                            and this can be quite strong.
                            Kho: for emphasis, indeed, really. I do not always translate it. Atha
                            kho: and then, in a narration.
                            Ki.m nu kho: in a question. Kho is often in combination with other
                            particles.
                            Eva: just, even. Only (giving a limitation and this is strong).
                            Today in my Tiika reading: te eva (dhammaa): this is with great
                            emphasis: these same dhammas...
                            In a simile: eva.m eva kho: in the same way.
                            There is more to it (as always). I hope experts like Ven. Dhammanando
                            or Jim can help further. Jim is very good with particles, I used to
                            have a good time with these.
                            Nina.

                            Op 29-aug-2006, om 20:02 heeft johnny pruitt het volgende geschreven:

                            > the meanings of the enclitic
                            > > particles such as EVA, HI, and KHO.

                          • Stephen Hodge
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 30, 2006
                              Dear Johnny,

                              > Also I believe that there is a man named William Pruitt that works
                              > as a translator in the Pali text society. Their does not seem to be
                              > any similar family ancestry.

                              As well as Buddhist stuff, I also do a bit of genealogy -- so unbuddhist !
                              But I can tell you that actually there may be a connection if your family
                              name is of British origin and has remained unchanged. It is a very rare
                              surname. In the 1881 census, there are only 5 Pruitts listed of whom 4
                              lived in Lanarkshire in Scotland and 1 in Monmouthshire in Wales. A
                              variation of the surname, Pruit, is equally rare -- only 6 individuals, 5
                              who lived in Devonshire and one in Derbyshire. In each case, they are
                              probably all members of one single family. But there is also another
                              variants: Pruwett, still fairly rare, mainly from Gloucestershire and
                              Wiltshire, and Pruett also mainly from Gloucestershire. If you have an
                              American connection, there were Pruetts etc in Virginia as early as 1636.
                              In pre-modern times when spellings were not fixed, you will find the same
                              person with the surname spelt differently at different times as above.
                              Looking at the distribution, my guess is that your ancestors came from the
                              Gloucestershire/Wiltshire area. Further investigations charged at the
                              usual rates :)

                              Best wishes,
                              Stephen Hodge
                            • johnny pruitt
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 31, 2006
                                Wow that is very interesting. I always assumed that my last name was of german origin. My grandfather was a hillbilly from tennessee named Guy Pruett and Couldn't read or write.

                                Stephen Hodge <s.hodge@...> wrote: Dear Johnny,

                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 16, 2006
                                  Dear Nina and Johnny,

                                  the Word-by-word series is available from this page:
                                  http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/paliww/wordload.php?word=001

                                  There is also a bulk of discussion in the archive. A recommended
                                  starting points:

                                  This exercise was later dropped for technical, logistic and personal
                                  reasons, which are more or less discussed in the archived messages.

                                  However, if there is anyone keen in reviving it, I am happy to share
                                  my experience.

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 18, 2006
                                    thank you very much for the links. In the first link there are
                                    already several examples. Perhaps Johnny can give more contexts,
                                    since these influence the meaning.
                                    Nina.
                                    Op 17-sep-2006, om 7:16 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

                                    > Dear Nina and Johnny,
                                    >
                                    > the Word-by-word series is available from this page:
                                    > http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/paliww/wordload.php?word=001
                                    >
                                    > There is also a bulk of discussion in the archive. A recommended
                                    > starting points:

                                  • johnny pruitt
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 19, 2006
                                      Yes the contexts surely due change the meaning such as the particle ca when it means "but" and when it means "and". Nevertheless, what I was aspiring to due was isolate the particles and then deduce what the combinations meant. Does this seem unrealistic?

                                      Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote: Dear Yong Peng,
                                      thank you very much for the links. In the first link there are
                                      already several examples. Perhaps Johnny can give more contexts,
                                      since these influence the meaning.
                                      Nina.
                                      Op 17-sep-2006, om 7:16 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

                                      > Dear Nina and Johnny,
                                      >
                                      > the Word-by-word series is available from this page:
                                      > http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/paliww/wordload.php?word=001
                                      >
                                      > There is also a bulk of discussion in the archive. A recommended
                                      > starting points:

                                    • gini g
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 5, 2010
                                        i'm new in here and i'm looking for a translation to pali.
                                        i would like to translate this sentece:

                                        you are buddha

                                        i would like to have in in the pali alphabet.
                                        can someone help me?
                                        thank you
                                        andrew
                                      • Dhammadarsa
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 24, 2010
                                          Hi Andrew

                                          This is a little more complicated as it seems.

                                          tva'm buddho [hosi, bhavasi] in Roman Script. You can choose either of the
                                          verbs in brackets, or leave both out.

                                          Pali doesn't have a script of its own, as far as we know, as it was a spoken
                                          language. It adopted the scripts of the countries that it went to. So for
                                          westerners we use Roman script. To type in other scripts usually requires
                                          special setup on one's computer and it is not guaranteed that it will
                                          display properly on your computer, as you need the font, unless one takes a
                                          screenshot of the typing on the author's computer and sends it as a picture
                                          or saves the typing as a PDF. In the latter case, there would be a lot of
                                          blank space in the document.

                                          In case you find someone with the necessary setup, you would have to let the
                                          person know what script you want and exactly what words you want, e.g.
                                          include either of the verbs above or not.

                                          Kind Regards

                                          <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> Integrating Emotion and Intellect =
                                          Intelligence

                                          Dhammadarsa [Darsa] Bhikkhu
                                          Buddhist Monk

                                          Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University
                                          Wang Noi
                                          Ayuthaya
                                          Thailand

                                          <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa

                                          mobile:

                                          +66850941669

                                          <https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=210453914412&src=client_sig_212_1_card_join&
                                          invite=1&lang=en> Always have my latest info

                                          <http://www.plaxo.com/signature?src=client_sig_212_1_card_sig&lang=en> Want
                                          a signature like this?

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jul 27, 2010
                                            Dear Ven. Dhammadarsa and Andrew,

                                            hello. It is already difficult for many to comprehend the evolution of life, let alone the evolution of language and human linguistic ability.

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jul 28, 2010
                                              Kind Yong Peng and Andrew

                                              Maybe understanding the evolution of language and human linguistic ability
                                              is part of understanding life, since the former are part of the latter.

                                              --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Pali%40yahoogroups.com> , Dhammadarsa