Re: [Pali] Re: Pali & Sanskrit: Yes, There Is.

  • Everett Thiele
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4, 2003
      > A DETAILED TABLE OF SANSKRIT-PALI-SANSKRIT PHONEME AND ROOT -
      >CORRESPONDECES WAS COMPILED BY PROF. ACHIM FAHS AND CAN BE FOUND IN HIS BOOK
      >"PALI GRAMMATIK".
      >
      >Grammatik des Pali von Achim Fahs
      >Verlag Enzyklopädie (1989)
      >Gebundene Ausgabe

      Hi,

      I would be very interested in getting ahold of a copy of this book?
      Do you know if it is available anywhere?

      thanks,

      --ET
    • Lennart Lopin
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 5, 2003
        Hi,

        Although the book is in German, it consists mainly of long and detailed
        charts and tables on all kinds of grammatical aspects -
        Unfortunately, you probably wont find the book in print: at www.amazon.de it
        says, that the book can only be obtained from second hand stores; have a
        look at:
        http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/3324002842/qid=1057392037/sr=2-4/ref=sr_aps_prod_4_2/028-0265254-7796554

        If you are only interested in those phoneme - correspondeces i will try to
        make a copy of those few pages and send them right away to your mail box.

        mettaya,

        Lennart

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 5, 2003
          I attached the tables to this email,

          Lennart

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2003
            Thanks, Lennart, for the links. I've got a library copy of Fahs' book
            and have especially found useful the index of difficult-to-recognize
            forms at the back of the book. It's been a real time-saver, and
            therefore I'm trying to find a used copy.

            Has anyone here used Oberlies' grammar?

            http://www.buchkatalog.de/
            Search from this link on 'oberlies pali'

            It's very expensive but if it supercedes Geiger and is as easily
            referencable as Fahs it could be worth the cost.

            A more general question to all: which Pali reference works do you
            find helpful and why?

            best regards,

            ET