Re: [Pali] Re: Pali & Sanskrit: Yes, There Is.

  • Lennart Lopin
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4, 2003
      "Studying Pali, I sometimes find useful to look up the Sanskrit
      correspondences of Pali words. Has anybody compiled a table of sound
      changes or rules of finding such correspondences?"

      A DETAILED TABLE OF SANSKRIT-PALI-SANSKRIT PHONEME AND ROOT -
      CORRESPONDECES WAS COMPILED BY PROF. ACHIM FAHS AND CAN BE FOUND IN HIS BOOK
      "PALI GRAMMATIK".

      Grammatik des Pali von Achim Fahs
      Verlag Enzyklopädie (1989)
      Gebundene Ausgabe

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Dimitry A. Ivakhnenko (Äìèòðèé
      Àëåêñååâè÷ Èâàõíåíêî)" <koleso@i...> wrote:

      Dear Pali friends,

      You may be interested to read a translation of Maharahulovada sutta
      at:

      http://www.buddhanet-de.net/ancient-buddhist-texts/texts%
      2Btranslations/short-pi\
      eces/maha-rahulovadasuttam.htm

      Studying Pali, I sometimes find useful to look up the Sanskrit
      correspondences of Pali words. Has anybody compiled a table of sound
      changes or rules of finding such correspondences?

      Mettena cittena, Dimitry

    • Everett Thiele
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 4, 2003
        > A DETAILED TABLE OF SANSKRIT-PALI-SANSKRIT PHONEME AND ROOT -
        >CORRESPONDECES WAS COMPILED BY PROF. ACHIM FAHS AND CAN BE FOUND IN HIS BOOK
        >"PALI GRAMMATIK".
        >
        >Grammatik des Pali von Achim Fahs
        >Verlag Enzyklopädie (1989)
        >Gebundene Ausgabe

        Hi,

        I would be very interested in getting ahold of a copy of this book?
        Do you know if it is available anywhere?

        thanks,

        --ET
      • Lennart Lopin
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 5, 2003
          Hi,

          Although the book is in German, it consists mainly of long and detailed
          charts and tables on all kinds of grammatical aspects -
          Unfortunately, you probably wont find the book in print: at www.amazon.de it
          says, that the book can only be obtained from second hand stores; have a
          look at:
          http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/3324002842/qid=1057392037/sr=2-4/ref=sr_aps_prod_4_2/028-0265254-7796554

          If you are only interested in those phoneme - correspondeces i will try to
          make a copy of those few pages and send them right away to your mail box.

          mettaya,

          Lennart

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 5, 2003
            I attached the tables to this email,

            Lennart

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 6, 2003
              Thanks, Lennart, for the links. I've got a library copy of Fahs' book
              and have especially found useful the index of difficult-to-recognize
              forms at the back of the book. It's been a real time-saver, and
              therefore I'm trying to find a used copy.

              Has anyone here used Oberlies' grammar?

              http://www.buchkatalog.de/
              Search from this link on 'oberlies pali'

              It's very expensive but if it supercedes Geiger and is as easily
              referencable as Fahs it could be worth the cost.

              A more general question to all: which Pali reference works do you
              find helpful and why?

              best regards,

              ET