Re: Pali & Sanskrit: Yes, There Is.

  • abhidhammika
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4, 2003
      Dear Dimitry

      How are you?

      You wrote:

      "Studying Pali, I sometimes find useful to look up the Sanskrit
      correspondences of Pali words. Has anybody compiled a table of sound
      changes or rules of finding such correspondences?"

      Yes, one of the appendices in a Pali-Burmeses Dictionary (Compiled By
      U Hoat Sein) is such a table. But, it is in Burmese script and
      explanations are in Burmese.

      With regards,

      Suan Lu Zaw

      http://www.bodhiology.org

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Dimitry A. Ivakhnenko (Äìèòðèé
      Àëåêñååâè÷ Èâàõíåíêî)" <koleso@i...> wrote:

      Dear Pali friends,

      You may be interested to read a translation of Maharahulovada sutta
      at:

      http://www.buddhanet-de.net/ancient-buddhist-texts/texts%
      2Btranslations/short-pi\
      eces/maha-rahulovadasuttam.htm

      Studying Pali, I sometimes find useful to look up the Sanskrit
      correspondences of Pali words. Has anybody compiled a table of sound
      changes or rules of finding such correspondences?

      Mettena cittena, Dimitry
    • Lennart Lopin
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 4, 2003
        "Studying Pali, I sometimes find useful to look up the Sanskrit
        correspondences of Pali words. Has anybody compiled a table of sound
        changes or rules of finding such correspondences?"

        A DETAILED TABLE OF SANSKRIT-PALI-SANSKRIT PHONEME AND ROOT -
        CORRESPONDECES WAS COMPILED BY PROF. ACHIM FAHS AND CAN BE FOUND IN HIS BOOK
        "PALI GRAMMATIK".

        Grammatik des Pali von Achim Fahs
        Verlag Enzyklopädie (1989)
        Gebundene Ausgabe

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Dimitry A. Ivakhnenko (Äìèòðèé
        Àëåêñååâè÷ Èâàõíåíêî)" <koleso@i...> wrote:

        Dear Pali friends,

        You may be interested to read a translation of Maharahulovada sutta
        at:

        http://www.buddhanet-de.net/ancient-buddhist-texts/texts%
        2Btranslations/short-pi\
        eces/maha-rahulovadasuttam.htm

        Studying Pali, I sometimes find useful to look up the Sanskrit
        correspondences of Pali words. Has anybody compiled a table of sound
        changes or rules of finding such correspondences?

        Mettena cittena, Dimitry

      • Everett Thiele
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 4, 2003
          > A DETAILED TABLE OF SANSKRIT-PALI-SANSKRIT PHONEME AND ROOT -
          >CORRESPONDECES WAS COMPILED BY PROF. ACHIM FAHS AND CAN BE FOUND IN HIS BOOK
          >"PALI GRAMMATIK".
          >
          >Grammatik des Pali von Achim Fahs
          >Verlag Enzyklopädie (1989)
          >Gebundene Ausgabe

          Hi,

          I would be very interested in getting ahold of a copy of this book?
          Do you know if it is available anywhere?

          thanks,

          --ET
        • Lennart Lopin
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 5, 2003
            Hi,

            Although the book is in German, it consists mainly of long and detailed
            charts and tables on all kinds of grammatical aspects -
            Unfortunately, you probably wont find the book in print: at www.amazon.de it
            says, that the book can only be obtained from second hand stores; have a
            look at:
            http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/3324002842/qid=1057392037/sr=2-4/ref=sr_aps_prod_4_2/028-0265254-7796554

            If you are only interested in those phoneme - correspondeces i will try to
            make a copy of those few pages and send them right away to your mail box.

            mettaya,

            Lennart

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 5, 2003
              I attached the tables to this email,

              Lennart

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 6, 2003
                Thanks, Lennart, for the links. I've got a library copy of Fahs' book
                and have especially found useful the index of difficult-to-recognize
                forms at the back of the book. It's been a real time-saver, and
                therefore I'm trying to find a used copy.

                Has anyone here used Oberlies' grammar?

                http://www.buchkatalog.de/
                Search from this link on 'oberlies pali'

                It's very expensive but if it supercedes Geiger and is as easily
                referencable as Fahs it could be worth the cost.

                A more general question to all: which Pali reference works do you
                find helpful and why?

                best regards,

                ET