Re: [Pali] anumodana

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 4, 2003
      Dear Nina & friends,

      I've just completed the translation of the Bhaya Vera Sutta for a coming
      course. The one word that is fascinating is in the title:

      sabba,lahuso

      So far all my searches suggest the best translation for it is "lightest".

      Could you please look up what the Thai sources say on "sabba,lahuso".

      Sukhi.

      Piya

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 5, 2003
        Dear Piya,
        op 04-07-2003 17:26 schreef Piya Tan op libris@...:
        > I've just completed the translation of the Bhaya Vera Sutta for a coming
        > course. The one word that is fascinating is in the title:
        >
        > sabba,lahuso
        >
        > So far all my searches suggest the best translation for it is "lightest".
        N: I cannot help you here, this volume of M.N. in Thai was out of stock last
        time. I have it in Pali and also the Co in Pali, but I cannot find any extra
        word in the title of the sutta. Where is this word? The title is given as
        Bhaya bhera, but that is the same.
        PED, lahuso: easily offended, and another stem: quickly.
        My Pali Thai has for lahu: light, fast, small, little.
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 8, 2003

          Jaran came for my Sutta Discovery class at the Buddhis Fellowship yesterday
          like a Sung Dynasty Maitreya Buddha with a delicious bag of Sutta goodies:
          the Thai Pali Canon, etc. The software he has presented me will make my
          study and work even more interesting and useful for those who refer to them.

          I also found the various occurrences of "sabba,lahuso" in the Thai Canon.

          This does not mean that I do not your advice occasionally: your global
          presence on the Net is a blessing to those who have an interest in Pali, the
          Commentaries and Anhidhamma.

          Best wishes & sukhi.

          Piya
          > > I've just completed the translation of the Bhaya Vera Sutta for a coming
          > > course. The one word that is fascinating is in the title:
          > >
          > > sabba,lahuso
          > >
          > > So far all my searches suggest the best translation for it is
          "lightest".
          > N: I cannot help you here, this volume of M.N. in Thai was out of stock
          last
          > time. I have it in Pali and also the Co in Pali, but I cannot find any
          extra
          > word in the title of the sutta. Where is this word? The title is given as
          > Bhaya bhera, but that is the same.
          > PED, lahuso: easily offended, and another stem: quickly.
          > My Pali Thai has for lahu: light, fast, small, little.
          > Nina.

        • nina van gorkom
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 9, 2003
            Dear Piya,
            I am glad things worked out so well. I liked your description of the happy
            event of receiving the goodies.
            Now I am still very curious about sabba,lahuso which I did not see in the
            title.
            Best wishes
            from Nina

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 10, 2003

              My apologies for the slow response, as I am still familiarizing myself with
              BUDSIR in roman.

              From my intial understanding on how to use BUDSIR, basically this is what I
              have found in the searches:

              sabbalahusoti sabbalahuko...parittakena (eg A.t.thakathaa 16/257, Siamese
              ed)

              That's the best I can find with my current skills.