Basic word order

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2003

      I find the following interesting and probably useful to understanding
      basic sentence structure.

      Word order type -- Example languages
      SVO "cows eat grass" -- English; Finnish; Chinese; Swahili.
      SOV "cows grass eat" -- PALI; Hindi/Urdu; Turkish; Japanese; Korean.
      VSO "eat cows grass" -- Classical Arabic; Welsh; Samoan.
      VOS "eat grass cows" -- Malagasy (An Austronesian language of
      Madagascar); Tzotzil (a Mayan language of Central America).
      OSV "grass cows eat" -- Kabardian (a language of northern Caucasus).
      OVS "grass eat cows" -- Hixkaryana (a Carib language of Brazil).

      This is from SBS Atlas of Languages, published by ABC Books for the
      Australian Broadcasting Corporation. ISBN 0-7333-1211-X

      metta,
      Yong Peng