Re: [Pali] nibbahati

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
      Dear Nina,

      Thanks again very much. Your notes confirmed a couple of things which are
      hazy from the readings I have here.

      Jaran has emailed me that he would be getting me some of those vital Thai
      CDs. Sadhu!
      Up till now I have not been able to quote the Thai Tripitaka, using mostly
      the PTS edition. The Thai/Siamese edition and translation would throw
      brighter light into my work and understanding of the Suttas.

      It's good to see we are all connected by our common spiritual link with the
      Buddha and our deep love for the Dharma.

      Sukhi.

      Piya

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
        Dear Piya,
        op 02-07-2003 16:24 schreef Piya Tan op libris@...:

        > Jaran has emailed me that he would be getting me some of those vital Thai
        > CDs. Sadhu!
        > It's good to see we are all connected by our common spiritual link with the
        > Buddha and our deep love for the Dharma.
        N: It is good you write this on the list so that we all can anumodana. Jaran
        for his Dhamma gift and you for your kind words,
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 4, 2003
          Dear Nina & friends,

          I've just completed the translation of the Bhaya Vera Sutta for a coming
          course. The one word that is fascinating is in the title:

          sabba,lahuso

          So far all my searches suggest the best translation for it is "lightest".

          Could you please look up what the Thai sources say on "sabba,lahuso".

          Sukhi.

          Piya

          > > Jaran has emailed me that he would be getting me some of those vital
          Thai
          > > CDs. Sadhu!
          > > It's good to see we are all connected by our common spiritual link with
          the
          > > Buddha and our deep love for the Dharma.
          > N: It is good you write this on the list so that we all can anumodana.
          Jaran
          > for his Dhamma gift and you for your kind words,
          > Nina.

        • nina van gorkom
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 5, 2003
            Dear Piya,
            op 04-07-2003 17:26 schreef Piya Tan op libris@...:
            > I've just completed the translation of the Bhaya Vera Sutta for a coming
            > course. The one word that is fascinating is in the title:
            >
            > sabba,lahuso
            >
            > So far all my searches suggest the best translation for it is "lightest".
            N: I cannot help you here, this volume of M.N. in Thai was out of stock last
            time. I have it in Pali and also the Co in Pali, but I cannot find any extra
            word in the title of the sutta. Where is this word? The title is given as
            Bhaya bhera, but that is the same.
            PED, lahuso: easily offended, and another stem: quickly.
            My Pali Thai has for lahu: light, fast, small, little.
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 8, 2003
              Dear Nina,

              Jaran came for my Sutta Discovery class at the Buddhis Fellowship yesterday
              like a Sung Dynasty Maitreya Buddha with a delicious bag of Sutta goodies:
              the Thai Pali Canon, etc. The software he has presented me will make my
              study and work even more interesting and useful for those who refer to them.

              I also found the various occurrences of "sabba,lahuso" in the Thai Canon.

              This does not mean that I do not your advice occasionally: your global
              presence on the Net is a blessing to those who have an interest in Pali, the
              Commentaries and Anhidhamma.

              Best wishes & sukhi.

              Piya
              > > I've just completed the translation of the Bhaya Vera Sutta for a coming
              > > course. The one word that is fascinating is in the title:
              > >
              > > sabba,lahuso
              > >
              > > So far all my searches suggest the best translation for it is
              "lightest".
              > N: I cannot help you here, this volume of M.N. in Thai was out of stock
              last
              > time. I have it in Pali and also the Co in Pali, but I cannot find any
              extra
              > word in the title of the sutta. Where is this word? The title is given as
              > Bhaya bhera, but that is the same.
              > PED, lahuso: easily offended, and another stem: quickly.
              > My Pali Thai has for lahu: light, fast, small, little.
              > Nina.

            • nina van gorkom
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 9, 2003
                Dear Piya,
                I am glad things worked out so well. I liked your description of the happy
                event of receiving the goodies.
                Now I am still very curious about sabba,lahuso which I did not see in the
                title.
                Best wishes
                from Nina

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 10, 2003
                  Dear Nina,

                  My apologies for the slow response, as I am still familiarizing myself with
                  BUDSIR in roman.

                  From my intial understanding on how to use BUDSIR, basically this is what I
                  have found in the searches:

                  sabbalahusoti sabbalahuko...parittakena (eg A.t.thakathaa 16/257, Siamese
                  ed)

                  That's the best I can find with my current skills.