Re: [Pali] nibbahati

  • nina van gorkom
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
      Dear Piya,
      op 01-07-2003 06:16 schreef Piya Tan op libris@...:
      > I need someone's help with the word "nibbahati" that could fit into two
      > possible translations of "dhamma,sota":
      >
      > (1) Dharma ear
      > (2) Stream of the Dharma
      >
      > PED defines "nibbahati" as "to stretch out; to pull put" which is not very
      > helpful....
      Hare thinks that “Nibbahati is either from
      > /barh, to increase, or /vah, to carry, with nis, out,’ to completion’
      N: You have many interesting notes.
      I found two stems of bahati:1: to pull, 2: to increase.
      prefix ni: out, down, in, into.
      as you say, Hare mentioned: “Dharma stream, dhamma,sota.
      N:I looked up sota, it can mean the eightfold Path.
      I looked at the Thai: <The word dhammasoto nibbahati mean: vipassana ~naa.na
      which has become strong will take (him) along (phaa), which means it causes
      him to attain the state (plane) of the ariyan. Who will know this (nobody
      else will know this). ...>
      I am inclined to stream of Dhamma, looking at the context. I think of the
      eightfold Path.
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
        Dear Nina,

        Thanks again very much. Your notes confirmed a couple of things which are
        hazy from the readings I have here.

        Jaran has emailed me that he would be getting me some of those vital Thai
        CDs. Sadhu!
        Up till now I have not been able to quote the Thai Tripitaka, using mostly
        the PTS edition. The Thai/Siamese edition and translation would throw
        brighter light into my work and understanding of the Suttas.

        It's good to see we are all connected by our common spiritual link with the
        Buddha and our deep love for the Dharma.

        Sukhi.

        Piya

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
          Dear Piya,
          op 02-07-2003 16:24 schreef Piya Tan op libris@...:

          > Jaran has emailed me that he would be getting me some of those vital Thai
          > CDs. Sadhu!
          > It's good to see we are all connected by our common spiritual link with the
          > Buddha and our deep love for the Dharma.
          N: It is good you write this on the list so that we all can anumodana. Jaran
          for his Dhamma gift and you for your kind words,
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 4, 2003
            Dear Nina & friends,

            I've just completed the translation of the Bhaya Vera Sutta for a coming
            course. The one word that is fascinating is in the title:

            sabba,lahuso

            So far all my searches suggest the best translation for it is "lightest".

            Could you please look up what the Thai sources say on "sabba,lahuso".

            Sukhi.

            Piya

            > > Jaran has emailed me that he would be getting me some of those vital
            Thai
            > > CDs. Sadhu!
            > > It's good to see we are all connected by our common spiritual link with
            the
            > > Buddha and our deep love for the Dharma.
            > N: It is good you write this on the list so that we all can anumodana.
            Jaran
            > for his Dhamma gift and you for your kind words,
            > Nina.

          • nina van gorkom
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 5, 2003
              Dear Piya,
              op 04-07-2003 17:26 schreef Piya Tan op libris@...:
              > I've just completed the translation of the Bhaya Vera Sutta for a coming
              > course. The one word that is fascinating is in the title:
              >
              > sabba,lahuso
              >
              > So far all my searches suggest the best translation for it is "lightest".
              N: I cannot help you here, this volume of M.N. in Thai was out of stock last
              time. I have it in Pali and also the Co in Pali, but I cannot find any extra
              word in the title of the sutta. Where is this word? The title is given as
              Bhaya bhera, but that is the same.
              PED, lahuso: easily offended, and another stem: quickly.
              My Pali Thai has for lahu: light, fast, small, little.
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 8, 2003
                Dear Nina,

                Jaran came for my Sutta Discovery class at the Buddhis Fellowship yesterday
                like a Sung Dynasty Maitreya Buddha with a delicious bag of Sutta goodies:
                the Thai Pali Canon, etc. The software he has presented me will make my
                study and work even more interesting and useful for those who refer to them.

                I also found the various occurrences of "sabba,lahuso" in the Thai Canon.

                This does not mean that I do not your advice occasionally: your global
                presence on the Net is a blessing to those who have an interest in Pali, the
                Commentaries and Anhidhamma.

                Best wishes & sukhi.

                Piya
                > > I've just completed the translation of the Bhaya Vera Sutta for a coming
                > > course. The one word that is fascinating is in the title:
                > >
                > > sabba,lahuso
                > >
                > > So far all my searches suggest the best translation for it is
                "lightest".
                > N: I cannot help you here, this volume of M.N. in Thai was out of stock
                last
                > time. I have it in Pali and also the Co in Pali, but I cannot find any
                extra
                > word in the title of the sutta. Where is this word? The title is given as
                > Bhaya bhera, but that is the same.
                > PED, lahuso: easily offended, and another stem: quickly.
                > My Pali Thai has for lahu: light, fast, small, little.
                > Nina.

              • nina van gorkom
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 9, 2003
                  Dear Piya,
                  I am glad things worked out so well. I liked your description of the happy
                  event of receiving the goodies.
                  Now I am still very curious about sabba,lahuso which I did not see in the
                  title.
                  Best wishes
                  from Nina

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 10, 2003
                    Dear Nina,

                    My apologies for the slow response, as I am still familiarizing myself with
                    BUDSIR in roman.

                    From my intial understanding on how to use BUDSIR, basically this is what I
                    have found in the searches:

                    sabbalahusoti sabbalahuko...parittakena (eg A.t.thakathaa 16/257, Siamese
                    ed)

                    That's the best I can find with my current skills.