Re: Voluminous non-pali related posts Re: [Pali] Direct Dhammapada ...

  • Frank Kuan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2003
      --- Ken Smith <kennethleson@...> wrote:
      > "Non pali related dhamma spam?" Can the dhamma be
      > spam? or an English translation of
      > the Dhammapada be unrelated to pali?

      To answer your challenge, yes, and yes.
      spam: Unsolicited e-mail, often of a commercial
      nature, sent indiscriminately to multiple mailing
      lists, individuals, or newsgroups; junk e-mail.

      Unsolicited: yep.
      Multiple mail lists: yep.
      Indiscriminately sent with regularity: yep. Look
      through the archive. Rough estimate of about 1 long
      english sutta excerpt post per day, two weeks worth.
      Did not respond to my first gentle comment on this
      spamming last week: This indicates to me some
      combination of possible rudeness, lack of mindfulness,
      lack of sensitivity and discrimination in determining
      which buddhist email lists to spam/bulk mail.
      list charter: pali related posts. Excerpted english
      sutta verses not accompanied by pali terms which they
      correspond to and bulk mailed indiscriminately to
      several buddhist lists is not pali related. I'm fairly
      certain of that.

      Here's an example to illustrate my point. Imagine if a
      buddhist missionary were to go door to door and
      verbally recite the posts in question word for word.
      Would you consider that solicited or unsolicited?
      Indiscriminant or discriminating? Not only is it
      annoying, it's also wrong speech.

      Right speech is truthful, beneficial, spoken at the
      right time and right place, with right view and right
      attitude, with intent to benefit the listener. The
      listener is unlikely to benefit from the incomparable
      dhamma if it is force fed and overwhelming in length.
      Maybe in one of the deva realms where life spans and
      patience is long. The human realm has micro attention
      spans. One can not absorb all of that juicy dhamma in
      one burst.

      Conclusions:
      1) even the sublime dhamma correctly expounded can be
      spam and/or wrong speech
      2) the string of posts in question, despite being
      magnificent sublime dhamma, has been promulgated in a
      way that exactly matches the definition of spam.
      3) This list, in the year or so I've been on it, has
      relatively low traffic and a very polite tolerance for
      off topic tangents. There is a conscientious effort
      among the list members to keep it on track and pali
      related. Unfortunately I'm not one of the polite or
      patient listmembers gifted with gentle speech. I made
      one effort to be semi gentle and polite, when that
      elicited no response, I switched to the direct and
      brutally Frank mode. Sorry, I gotta be me, despite
      anatta.

      -fk

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • rjkjp1
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2003
        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Frank Kuan <fcckuan@y...> wrote:

        > Sorry, I gotta be me, despite
        > anatta.
        >
        >____
        Dear Frank,
        You have to be you, BECAUSE of anatta.
        Robertk
      • Samahita
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 9, 2003
          Hey fk

          You wisely yet sardonicly turned attention
          the right direction and quite honestly noted:

          > Unfortunately I'm not one of the polite or
          > patient listmembers gifted with gentle speech. I made
          > one effort to be semi gentle and polite, when that
          > elicited no response, I switched to the direct and
          > brutally Frank mode. Sorry, I gotta be me, despite
          > anatta.

          All forgiven as that is progress when a man see his
          own mistake and make amends to repair it.

          Still:
          Keep on the right track.
          Keep cool.
          Let it pass.