Re: Pali Word by Word 2003/26 [013], on -tar

    Message 1 of 251 , Jul 1, 2003
      Dear Nina,

      thanks. I have looked up on Warder Ch 23, it is very useful. I have
      corrected the grammar mistakes as follows:

      Tattha natthi hantaa vaa ghaatetaa vaa,
      there / no / killers / or / slaughterers / or
      There are no killers nor causers of killing,

      sotaa vaa saavetaa vaa, vi~n~naataa vaa vi~n~naapetaa vaa.
      hearers / or / speakers / or / learners / or / teachers / or
      no hearers nor speakers, no students nor teachers.

      hantar: a striker, one who kills.
      ghaatetar: causer of killing.
      sotar: a hearer.
      saavetar: causer of hearing, a reciter.
      vi~n~naatar: a perceiver, a learner.
      vi~n~naapetar: causer of discernment, an instructor, teacher.

      metta,
      Yong Peng
      Message 251 of 251 , Mar 31, 2004
        Dear Nina and friends,

        thanks for that, Nina.

        metta,
        Yong Peng

        > would you tell us roughly what the comparison is about? Thanks
        again.
        > what in comparison, lord, can these five hundred carts do... etc.
        > Wheel 67-69: What, O lord, are five hundred carts- nay six, seven...
        > etc...compared with this?
        N:
        28: Now what think you Pukusa, which is the more difficult thing to
        do or to meet with - that a man, being conscious and awake, should
        neither see , nor hear the sound of five hundred cars passing by...or
        that a man, being conscious and awake, should neither see, nor hear
        the sound thereof when the falling rain goes on beating splashing,
        and the lightnings are flashing forth, and the thunderbolts are
        crashing?

        We read, <Then, Pukkusa, the thought occurred to that man:- "How
        wonderful a thing it is, and marvellous, that those who have gone
        forth out of the world should pass their time in a state of mind so
        calm!-...">

        Thus, it is more difficult not to hear the sound of rain and thunder,
        but this occurs when a high degree of calm is reached.