Building a Sima Hall

  • steven_19988
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2003
      Dear Lennart and Frank,
      Thank you very much for both your prompt reply to my question. I appreciate your replies very
      much. My knowledge in Buddhism is very shallow and I would like to seek further
      explanations.
      What I understand is that a Sima hall is a sacred building to the Sangha and we have to ensure that
      we do not transgress any of the vinaya rules in building it. From my previous post, I've explained that
      the local authorities / government prohibit us from erecting any building on an agricultural land. In
      order to be able to erect any building on an agricultural land, we have to convert the status of the land
      into religious or residential purpose from the local authorities. But, it usually takes a couple of years
      for the authorities to approve the conversion.
      So, we plan to go ahead in building the sima and getting the approval later. Hence, by doing so, we
      have violated the laws of the local authorities (but usually the local authorities would not take any
      actions unless they received complaints or any injuction from the public). Do you think we have
      transgress any of the vinaya rules in building the sima without having the approval from the local
      authorities in this situation?
      Thanking you in anticipation. Sadhu.