Re: Welcome to Pali

  • Sean Whittle
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 8, 2001
      Hello all,
      My name is Sean. I've been studying and translating Pali for about a year
      and a half now. Looking forward to some good conversations.

      Sean
    • frank kuan
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 9, 2001
        I'm Frank, nice to meet you all.
        Just ordered the pali primer from amazon yesterday, it
        should be here in a few days.

        -fk

        http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
      • Girish
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 3, 2001
          To Pali Group,

          Hello Everybody,
          I want to introduce myself to the group
          1. I am Girish Pagare from India & though born in a Hindu family, I have
          started
          following 'Bhagvan Buddha's' teaching since 1991
          after doing my first 10 day Vipassana meditation course at Igatpuri,
          Nashik (Maharashtra State, India).
          2. I wish to learn Pali language as it was the original language in which
          'Bhagvan Buddha' has actually taught 'The Dhamma'.
          Common difficulties faced by students like me are to find a teacher to
          teach Pali. It seems Internet is the best place to learn.
          3. I read and study the suttas in Hindi Language. I also read other
          Tipitaka/Pali literature which I get from Tipitaka.net /
          Internet in English and Also publications of Vipassana Research
          Institute
          4. I do not use any tools/guidebooks in the study of the Pali canon. Since
          Hindi language has lot of resemblace with pali, it is
          comparitively easier for me to learn . Incidently my mother tongue is
          Marathi, which again is very much similar to Hindi /
          Pali. I also know little 'Sanskrit' which again helps me in
          understanding Pali.
          5. I do meditate regularly though with some lapses. I have learnt Vipassana
          meditation technique( taken 7/8 nos of 10 day courses, One Satipattana
          course) as taught by Shri. S. N. Goenka in
          the tradition of Ven. Sayaji U Ba Khin. The main techinique being
          Vipassana.
          6. I am not involved in any translation works of the Tipitaka as I don't
          think I am qualified enough to do it.

          Thank you for responding.

          Metta,
          Girish Pagare.
        • yogakkhema
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2, 2002
            Hello,
            <<<< Samsara is often compared to an ocean,Samsarasagara, and what is
            required in the ocean for saftey/refuge is an island. Anyone have any other
            ideas on why Island or lamp is used?

            In my inexperienced opinion 'attadiipa' just means 'self-reliant,
            self-supported', with no strings attached. Commentaries just give
            useful hints about the probable context. The explanation of the suttas
            themselves is keeping track of the four bases of mindfulness in and of
            themselves.>>>>

            An interesting clue to what is meant by attadiipa is also the words used
            with it. In this case it is used with sara.na (refuge). Diipa in the sense
            of island also has a history of meaning of place of refuge, or shelter.

            Yogakkhema

          • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 4, 2002
              Hello,

              y> An interesting clue to what is meant by attadiipa is also the words used
              y> with it. In this case it is used with sara.na (refuge). Diipa in the sense
              y> of island also has a history of meaning of place of refuge, or shelter.

              And keeping track of four frames of reference is one's proper range,
              ancestral territory, refuge.

              See:
              http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/samyutta/sn47-6.html
              http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/samyutta/sn47-7.html

              Dimitry
            • Kumaara Bhikkhu
              Message 6 of 11 , May 21, 2002
                Dear all,

                I've been away of the group for some time. Let me re-answer the moderator's questions:

                At 03:48 PM 19-05-02, Pali Moderator wrote:
                >For a start, you may want to introduce yourself to the group, with the help of one or more of the following questions:
                >1. Are you learning/teaching the Pali language?

                I'm learning. Currently, I'm working through the Bhikkhupaatimokkha under the guidance of my aacariya, Ven Aggacitta.

                >2. Do you read and study the Tipitaka?

                Yes, presently, more of the Vinaya Pitaka, followed by the Sutta Pitaka.

                >3. Were/Are you involved in any translation works of the Tipitaka?

                As my aacariya and I go through the Paatimokkha we work out an English translation of it. Presently, we've completed Nissaggiya Paacittiya.

                peace

                Ven Kumâra
              • Jou Smith
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 1, 2002
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 9, 2003
                    Dear Moderator & Friends,

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 7, 2003
                      Hello, my good friends in the dharma. My name is Jeff Brooks, I live in
                      Tucson, AZ and I sat my first vipassana retreat with Robert Hover here in
                      1985. I have been an active member of the vipassana and other contemplative
                      communities for 30 years. I now publish an electronic newsletter called the
                      Southwest Insight E'letter, which is focused on the practice of vipassana and
                      sangha related issues. I also publish a resource guide for retreats and
                      centers in the Southwest. Back issues for both are available on the
                      Albuquerque Vipassana Sangha website at
                      http://www.cs.unm.edu/~richards/sangha/home.html.

                      I arrived here in your webspace while seeking a forum for dialog on
                      Theravadan Buddhism and the practice of vipassana. I look forward to the
                      company of your sangha.

                      May you all be free from suffering,

                      Jeff
                    • nemo erehwon
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 28, 2003
                        Dear Pali group,

                        I am interested in learning more about Pali. Thank you for posting your resources.

                        Thank you,

                        Godaisanji

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 28, 2003
                          Dear Min Kyaw,