Pariyada research 2

  • nina van gorkom
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2003
      Pariyada research 2.

      M I, 91, Lesser Discourse on the Stems of Anguish:

      But at times, things belonging to greed... aversion...confusion... taking
      hold of my mind, persist. pariyaadaaya ti.t.thanti.

      S II, 226: K.S. on Gain and Favours: When gains, favours and flattery come
      to us, we will put them aside; nor when they come shall they take lasting
      hold on our hearts.
      Uppanna.m laabhasakkaarasiloka.m pajahissaama (we shall abandon) na ca no
      uppanno laabhasakkaarasiloko cittam pariyaadaaya .thassatiiti.
      S II, 233: similar, but: persistingly possess.
      S II, 243: A slight variation: Him have I seen thereafter overcome and his
      heart possessed by gains, favours and flattery (deliberately telling a lie).
      Tam enam passaami aparena samayena laabhasakkaarasilokena abhibhuutam
      (overcome) pariyaadi.n.nacitta.m...

      S III, 14, (§ 17, Grasping and Worry): ...worried thoughts arise and
      persist, laying hold of the heart: pariyaadaaya ti.t.thanti.
      Here is a footnote: translator says, ³make an impression on² as found
      somewhere else is not forceful enough. ³Having altogether laid hold of (him)
      they persist.²
      S III, 18: do not arise and persist, laying hold of his heart...
      S IV, 125 (Third Fifty, Ch 4): There are objects... Though they touch the
      heart again and again (phussa-phussa), yet they cannot altogether lay hold
      of it and so persist: citta.m na pariyaadaaya ti.t.thanti.
      By their failure to lay hold of the heart..
      cetaso apariyaadaanaa...
      (to be continued.)