pariyada research 1

  • nina van gorkom
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2003
      Dear friends,
      Recapitulating, we discussed this passage in the Mahaaraahulovaadasutta:

      ``pathaviisama.m, raahula, bhaavana.m bhaavehi.
      Apply yourself to the mental development that is like the earth, Rahula.

      pathaviisama~nhi te, raahula, bhaavana.m bhaavayato
      For when you apply yourself to the mental development that is like the
      earth, Rahula,

      uppannaa manaapaamanaapaa phassaa citta.m na pariyaadaaya .thassanti.

      agreeable and disagreeable impressions that have arisen, will not overwhelm
      the mind and persist.

      pariyaadaaya: having overcome (pariyaadaati, exhaust, take up
      excessively).
      .thassanti: they will remain, persist.

      The negation na is placed before pariyaadaaya .thassanti. Since this
      passage is not easy Jim suggested to make a research and study similar
      passages. He kindly provided me with a long list of cross references and it
      is interesting to see how different people have translated this passage. I
      shall just make a choice from this list. It will become clearer why the
      negation <na> is placed before pariyaadaaya and not before .thassanti.

      To start with, Piya Tan has the following translation:
      ³Rahula, cultivate an earth-like meditation. For when you
      cultivate an earth-like meditation, agreeable and disagreeable contacts[22]
      that have arisen will not overpower your mind and remain.²

      Now I begin with Jim¹s list, I shall refer to as pariyada research:

      D.N.-3:, .248 (PTS. p. 233): about someone has developed mental
      emancipation by mettaa, ³Nevertheless malevolance persistently possesses my
      heart.²
      Here is no negation, pariyaadaaya and .thassanti are taken as a whole,
      belonging together.
      M I, 239 (p. 294, PTS): Mahaasaccakasutta: The Buddha said: ³This
      pleasurable feeling, Aggivessana, that has arisen in him, impinging on the
      mind, persists, because of the non-development of body; and the painful
      feeling that has arisen, impinging on the mind, persists, because of the
      non-development of mind...
      As to the ariyan disciple: ³This pleasurable feeling, Aggivessana, that has
      arisen in him, impinging on his mind, does not persist, because of the
      development of the body...
      ..uppannaa pi sukhaavedanaa citta.m na pariyaadaaya ti.t.thati bhaavitattaa
      kaayassa...

      M II: I, 463 (II, p. 136): Na.lakapaanasutta:
      Anuruddhas, aloof from pleasures of the senses...if he does not win joy and
      happiness or something more peaceful than that, then coveting persists in
      obsessing his mind, and malevolence...

      Viveka.m Anuruddhaa kaamehi ... tassa abhijjhaa pi citta.m pariyaadaaya
      ti.t.thati...

      ..if he wins joy and happiness or something more peaceful than that, then
      coveting does not persist in obsessing his mind...
      ... piitisukha.m adhigacchati a~n~na~n-ca tato santatara.m, tassa abhijjhaa
      pi citta.m na pariyaadaaya ti.t.thati...

      (to be continued)