Re: More Pali - Every few days - [C009]

  • paulocuana
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 7, 2003
      Hi John,

      Sorry for being so cryptic. I think Warder chose "philosopher"
      for "sama.na" to show that the word evolved from "ascetic" and
      "wanderer". For example, non-Buddhists refer to Buddha as
      "Sama.no Gotamo" and when Warder introduces Puura.no Kassapo
      he refers to him as a "sama.na".

      I think it is probably useful for other beginners like myself to
      see alternative translations. With that in mind, could you give
      Warder's answer when it differs from your own?

      Thanks again and the Best to you.
      Paul

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, John Kelly <palistudent@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Paul,
      >
      > Thanks for your response.
      >
      > > vaada.m vadanti
      > > My own answer was "They make a statement." but
      > Warder in his
      > >answer key has the stronger, "They speak (state) an
      > argument."
      > I like your answer here very much. I think all 3 -
      > Warder's, yours, mine - are all equally valid, and
      > ultimately one would make a choice based on context of
      > the phrase within a larger extract, and the style of
      > translation one wanted.
      >
      > > sama.ne attha.m pucchanti
      > > ascetics / meaning / they ask
      > > They ask the ascetics the meaning
      > >How do you feel about "philosopher" for "sama.na"?
      > "Philosopher" is fine, too, though it is a little more
      > specific. What about "wanderer" as an another
      > alternative?
      >
      > Best Wishes to you,
      > John

      > http://calendar.yahoo.com
    • John Kelly
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 9, 2003
        Hi Paul,

        I appreciate your comment and agree that it is useful
        to see alternative translations. But, I'm assuming
        that the people reading these posts are those working
        through Warder themselves, and so I'll leave it up to
        them to look up the answers. I'm posting these from
        work done a few months ago on these earlier chapters,
        and I don't really have time right now to go back and
        revise my answer document to include Warder's answers.
        He only gives answers up to about lesson 6 anyway.

        I will however be including the Digha Nikaya
        references that he does provide for all the later
        exercises.

        >I think it is probably useful for other beginners
        like
        >myself to
        >see alternative translations. With that in mind,
        could you
        >give
        >Warder's answer when it differs from your own?

        All the best,
        John

        http://calendar.yahoo.com