Re: suttas and raising children

  • christine_forsyth
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2003
      Hi John,

      You asked for any suttas where the Buddha gave guidance on raising
      children. There are a couple of suttas in which he instructs his son
      Rahula (e.g. MN6! Ambalatthikarahulovada Sutta), but these are more
      Buddha to Bhikkhu rather than parent to child. I think if you
      looked in the subject index at Access to Insight under children -
      family - parents you would find mention in a number of suttas, but
      not along the lines of child psychology or solving behaviour problems.
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/index-subject.html
      The Sigalovada Sutta is well-known of course.
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/digha/dn31.html
      Times change and I don't think parents in the Buddha's time faced
      the same things we do today - our children are absent from our care
      (compulsorily) for seven or more hours a day under other authority
      figures, they are bombarded by values we may not wish them to take on
      board through the media, there is the strength of peer pressure, and
      the absence of the educative influence and support of the extended
      family. Having raised two children successfully, a son and a
      daughter, to young adulthood I was relieved to find that the values
      and ethics I taught them in earlly childhood and young teen years
      were still there when they emerged from the mid and late
      teenage 'arrogant tunnel of self-absorption'. They, of course, felt
      it was I who had 'improved'. :-) I think the Precepts say it all,
      and taught with love, compassion and common sense will prove a useful
      tool. The major factor is parental example - it can't be 'do as I
      say, not as I do'.

      metta and peace,
      Christine
      ---The trouble is that you think you have time ---