Re: cassa?

  • bodhi2500
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003
      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "bodhi2500" <Bodhi2500@a...> wrote:
      > Hi Michael
      >
      > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "mahaabaala" <mahaabaala@y...> wrote:
      > > IN the first verse of the metta sutta (Sn 1.) there is this
      phrase:

      > > suuvaco cassa mudu anatimaanii
      > >
      > > I can't find the word "cassa" in any dictionary. I think I can
      see
      > > from various translations what it might mean, but I'm interested
      > > get a more authorative answer.
      > >
      > > BTW I'm using the chat.t.ha san.gaayana CD as my source.
      > >
      > > Any help appreciated.
      > >
      > > Regards
      > > Michael
      >
      > From the PTS translation of the Metta Sutta and commentary from the
      > Kuddakapaa.tha. The Pali of the verse is > suuvaco c'assa mudu
      > anatimaanii
      >
      > The Atthakatha says > "He would be: assa = bhaveyya (alternative
      > grammatical form)."
      >
      > So my guess* is that the c'assa = ca + assa ??
      >
      > This is just a guess so i'm hoping someone will either confirm or
      > correct this.
      >

      > Steve

      Hi Michael
      There is quite a bit on the meaning of "assa" in lesson 14
      of Warders introduction to pali.

      I had a look at the c'assa and im now thinking it may be ce+assa =
      c'assa--If he would be...

      But still only guessing :)

      Steve
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2003
        Hi Michael,

        cassa = ca (and) + assa (should be)

        Sukhi.

        P.
        > IN the first verse of the metta sutta (Sn 1.) there is this phrase:
        >
        > suuvaco cassa mudu anatimaanii
        >
        > I can't find the word "cassa" in any dictionary. I think I can see
        > from various translations what it might mean, but I'm interested to
        > get a more authorative answer.
        >
        > BTW I'm using the chat.t.ha san.gaayana CD as my source.
        >
        > Any help appreciated.
        >
        > Regards
        > Michael

      • mahaabaala
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2003
          Thanks Piya and others,

          This seems to make sense - "and he should be".

          Mettena
          Michael

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/