cassa?

  • mahaabaala
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003
      IN the first verse of the metta sutta (Sn 1.) there is this phrase:

      suuvaco cassa mudu anatimaanii

      I can't find the word "cassa" in any dictionary. I think I can see
      from various translations what it might mean, but I'm interested to
      get a more authorative answer.

      BTW I'm using the chat.t.ha san.gaayana CD as my source.

      Any help appreciated.

      Regards
      Michael
    • bodhi2500
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003
        Hi Michael

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "mahaabaala" <mahaabaala@y...> wrote:
        > IN the first verse of the metta sutta (Sn 1.) there is this phrase:
        >
        > suuvaco cassa mudu anatimaanii
        >
        > I can't find the word "cassa" in any dictionary. I think I can see
        > from various translations what it might mean, but I'm interested to
        > get a more authorative answer.
        >
        > BTW I'm using the chat.t.ha san.gaayana CD as my source.
        >
        > Any help appreciated.
        >
        > Regards
        > Michael

        From the PTS translation of the Metta Sutta and commentary from the
        Kuddakapaa.tha. The Pali of the verse is > suuvaco c'assa mudu
        anatimaanii

        The Atthakatha says > "He would be: assa = bhaveyya (alternative
        grammatical form)."

        So my guess* is that the c'assa = ca + assa ??

        This is just a guess so i'm hoping someone will either confirm or
        correct this.

        Steve
      • bodhi2500
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003
          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "bodhi2500" <Bodhi2500@a...> wrote:
          > Hi Michael
          >
          > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "mahaabaala" <mahaabaala@y...> wrote:
          > > IN the first verse of the metta sutta (Sn 1.) there is this
          phrase:

          > > suuvaco cassa mudu anatimaanii
          > >
          > > I can't find the word "cassa" in any dictionary. I think I can
          see
          > > from various translations what it might mean, but I'm interested
          > > get a more authorative answer.
          > >
          > > BTW I'm using the chat.t.ha san.gaayana CD as my source.
          > >
          > > Any help appreciated.
          > >
          > > Regards
          > > Michael
          >
          > From the PTS translation of the Metta Sutta and commentary from the
          > Kuddakapaa.tha. The Pali of the verse is > suuvaco c'assa mudu
          > anatimaanii
          >
          > The Atthakatha says > "He would be: assa = bhaveyya (alternative
          > grammatical form)."
          >
          > So my guess* is that the c'assa = ca + assa ??
          >
          > This is just a guess so i'm hoping someone will either confirm or
          > correct this.
          >

          > Steve

          Hi Michael
          There is quite a bit on the meaning of "assa" in lesson 14
          of Warders introduction to pali.

          I had a look at the c'assa and im now thinking it may be ce+assa =
          c'assa--If he would be...

          But still only guessing :)

          Steve
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 5, 2003
            Hi Michael,

            cassa = ca (and) + assa (should be)

            Sukhi.

            P.
            > IN the first verse of the metta sutta (Sn 1.) there is this phrase:
            >
            > suuvaco cassa mudu anatimaanii
            >
            > I can't find the word "cassa" in any dictionary. I think I can see
            > from various translations what it might mean, but I'm interested to
            > get a more authorative answer.
            >
            > BTW I'm using the chat.t.ha san.gaayana CD as my source.
            >
            > Any help appreciated.
            >
            > Regards
            > Michael

          • mahaabaala
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 5, 2003
              Thanks Piya and others,

              This seems to make sense - "and he should be".

              Mettena
              Michael

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/