Pali - Every few days - [B040]

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2003
      Pali - Every few days - [B040]
      Gair/Karunatillake - Chapter 3 � Further Readings
      Ex. 2. (Part 3 of 5)

      �Naaha.m, bhikkhave, a~n~na.m ekadhammam pi
      samanupassaami, ya.m eva.m abhaavita.m apaatubhuuta.m
      mahato anatthaaya sa.mvattati, yathayida.m, bhikkhave,
      citta.m.
      Citta.m, bhikkhave, abhaavita.m apaatubhuuta.m mahato
      anatthaaya sa.mvattatii� ti.
      �Monks, indeed I do not perceive another single thing
      that when undeveloped and not manifested leads to such
      great misery, monks, as does the mind. The mind,
      monks, undeveloped and not manifested leads to great
      misery.�

      �Naaha.m, bhikkhave, a~n~na.m ekadhammam pi
      samanupassaami, ya.m eva.m bhaavita.m paatubhuuta.m
      mahato atthaaya sa.mvattati, yathayida.m, bhikkhave,
      citta.m.
      Citta.m, bhikkhave, bhaavita.m paatubhuuta.m mahato
      atthaaya sa.mvattatii� ti.
      �Monks, indeed I do not perceive another single thing
      that when developed and manifested leads to such great
      well-being, monks, as does the mind. The mind, monks,
      developed and manifested leads to great well-being.�

      Metta,
      John

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
    • nina van gorkom
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 6, 2003
        Dear John,
        It is always very useful, thank you very much. I just have one thing that
        puzzled me: apaatubhuuta.m: not manifested.
        I looked at PTS 1,4: footnote:
        According to Comy.: a mind involved in the round of rebirth, incapable of
        leaping up to, of taking delight in unworldly things, such as the Way,
        nibbaana. Comy. quotes the Elder Phussamitta as saying: The mind that is on
        the Way is cultivated, made lucid or manifest.
        End quote. Thus, another option: not made lucid.
        Nina.