Re: [Pali] Re: More Pali - Every few days - [C009]

  • kiepue@t-online.de
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2003
      What about "doctrine" for vaada? The opinion of single, but authoritative theras often is described by vaada.

      Best Wishes,
      Petra

      "paulocuana" <paulocuana@...> schrieb:
      > Hi John,
      >
      > Thanks again for sharing your answers.
      >
      > > vaada.m vadanti
      > > statement / they speak
      > > They utter the statement
      > Warder has "debate, argument, statement" for "vaada" which seems
      > to agree with the PED which uses "vaada" for "emphatic or formulated
      > speech". My own answer was "They make a statement." but Warder in his
      > answer key has the stronger, "They speak (state) an argument."
      >
      > > sama.ne attha.m pucchanti
      > > ascetics / meaning / they ask
      > > They ask the ascetics the meaning
      > How do you feel about "philosopher" for "sama.na"?
      > It seems that the only "sama.na's" worth talking about
      > today were of the "philosopher" variety.
      > Best Wishes,
      > Paul O Cuana
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • John Kelly
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2003
        Hi Paul,

        Thanks for your response.

        > vaada.m vadanti
        > My own answer was "They make a statement." but
        Warder in his
        >answer key has the stronger, "They speak (state) an
        argument."
        I like your answer here very much. I think all 3 -
        Warder's, yours, mine - are all equally valid, and
        ultimately one would make a choice based on context of
        the phrase within a larger extract, and the style of
        translation one wanted.

        > sama.ne attha.m pucchanti
        > ascetics / meaning / they ask
        > They ask the ascetics the meaning
        >How do you feel about "philosopher" for "sama.na"?
        "Philosopher" is fine, too, though it is a little more
        specific. What about "wanderer" as an another
        alternative?

        Best Wishes to you,
        John

        http://calendar.yahoo.com
      • paulocuana
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 7, 2003
          Hi John,

          Sorry for being so cryptic. I think Warder chose "philosopher"
          for "sama.na" to show that the word evolved from "ascetic" and
          "wanderer". For example, non-Buddhists refer to Buddha as
          "Sama.no Gotamo" and when Warder introduces Puura.no Kassapo
          he refers to him as a "sama.na".

          I think it is probably useful for other beginners like myself to
          see alternative translations. With that in mind, could you give
          Warder's answer when it differs from your own?

          Thanks again and the Best to you.
          Paul

          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, John Kelly <palistudent@y...> wrote:
          > Hi Paul,
          >
          > Thanks for your response.
          >
          > > vaada.m vadanti
          > > My own answer was "They make a statement." but
          > Warder in his
          > >answer key has the stronger, "They speak (state) an
          > argument."
          > I like your answer here very much. I think all 3 -
          > Warder's, yours, mine - are all equally valid, and
          > ultimately one would make a choice based on context of
          > the phrase within a larger extract, and the style of
          > translation one wanted.
          >
          > > sama.ne attha.m pucchanti
          > > ascetics / meaning / they ask
          > > They ask the ascetics the meaning
          > >How do you feel about "philosopher" for "sama.na"?
          > "Philosopher" is fine, too, though it is a little more
          > specific. What about "wanderer" as an another
          > alternative?
          >
          > Best Wishes to you,
          > John

          > http://calendar.yahoo.com
        • John Kelly
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 9, 2003
            Hi Paul,

            I appreciate your comment and agree that it is useful
            to see alternative translations. But, I'm assuming
            that the people reading these posts are those working
            through Warder themselves, and so I'll leave it up to
            them to look up the answers. I'm posting these from
            work done a few months ago on these earlier chapters,
            and I don't really have time right now to go back and
            revise my answer document to include Warder's answers.
            He only gives answers up to about lesson 6 anyway.

            I will however be including the Digha Nikaya
            references that he does provide for all the later
            exercises.

            >I think it is probably useful for other beginners
            like
            >myself to
            >see alternative translations. With that in mind,
            could you
            >give
            >Warder's answer when it differs from your own?

            All the best,
            John

            http://calendar.yahoo.com