More Pali - Every few days - [C009]

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2003

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
    • paulocuana
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2003
        Hi John,

        Thanks again for sharing your answers.

        > vaada.m vadanti
        > statement / they speak
        > They utter the statement
        Warder has "debate, argument, statement" for "vaada" which seems
        to agree with the PED which uses "vaada" for "emphatic or formulated
        speech". My own answer was "They make a statement." but Warder in his
        answer key has the stronger, "They speak (state) an argument."

        > sama.ne attha.m pucchanti
        > ascetics / meaning / they ask
        > They ask the ascetics the meaning
        How do you feel about "philosopher" for "sama.na"?
        It seems that the only "sama.na's" worth talking about
        today were of the "philosopher" variety.
        Best Wishes,
        Paul O Cuana
      • kiepue@t-online.de
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2003
          What about "doctrine" for vaada? The opinion of single, but authoritative theras often is described by vaada.

          Best Wishes,
          Petra

          "paulocuana" <paulocuana@...> schrieb:
          > Hi John,
          >
          > Thanks again for sharing your answers.
          >
          > > vaada.m vadanti
          > > statement / they speak
          > > They utter the statement
          > Warder has "debate, argument, statement" for "vaada" which seems
          > to agree with the PED which uses "vaada" for "emphatic or formulated
          > speech". My own answer was "They make a statement." but Warder in his
          > answer key has the stronger, "They speak (state) an argument."
          >
          > > sama.ne attha.m pucchanti
          > > ascetics / meaning / they ask
          > > They ask the ascetics the meaning
          > How do you feel about "philosopher" for "sama.na"?
          > It seems that the only "sama.na's" worth talking about
          > today were of the "philosopher" variety.
          > Best Wishes,
          > Paul O Cuana
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • John Kelly
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4, 2003
            Hi Paul,

            Thanks for your response.

            > vaada.m vadanti
            > My own answer was "They make a statement." but
            Warder in his
            >answer key has the stronger, "They speak (state) an
            argument."
            I like your answer here very much. I think all 3 -
            Warder's, yours, mine - are all equally valid, and
            ultimately one would make a choice based on context of
            the phrase within a larger extract, and the style of
            translation one wanted.

            > sama.ne attha.m pucchanti
            > ascetics / meaning / they ask
            > They ask the ascetics the meaning
            >How do you feel about "philosopher" for "sama.na"?
            "Philosopher" is fine, too, though it is a little more
            specific. What about "wanderer" as an another
            alternative?

            Best Wishes to you,
            John

            http://calendar.yahoo.com
          • paulocuana
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 7, 2003
              Hi John,

              Sorry for being so cryptic. I think Warder chose "philosopher"
              for "sama.na" to show that the word evolved from "ascetic" and
              "wanderer". For example, non-Buddhists refer to Buddha as
              "Sama.no Gotamo" and when Warder introduces Puura.no Kassapo
              he refers to him as a "sama.na".

              I think it is probably useful for other beginners like myself to
              see alternative translations. With that in mind, could you give
              Warder's answer when it differs from your own?

              Thanks again and the Best to you.
              Paul

              --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, John Kelly <palistudent@y...> wrote:
              > Hi Paul,
              >
              > Thanks for your response.
              >
              > > vaada.m vadanti
              > > My own answer was "They make a statement." but
              > Warder in his
              > >answer key has the stronger, "They speak (state) an
              > argument."
              > I like your answer here very much. I think all 3 -
              > Warder's, yours, mine - are all equally valid, and
              > ultimately one would make a choice based on context of
              > the phrase within a larger extract, and the style of
              > translation one wanted.
              >
              > > sama.ne attha.m pucchanti
              > > ascetics / meaning / they ask
              > > They ask the ascetics the meaning
              > >How do you feel about "philosopher" for "sama.na"?
              > "Philosopher" is fine, too, though it is a little more
              > specific. What about "wanderer" as an another
              > alternative?
              >
              > Best Wishes to you,
              > John

              > http://calendar.yahoo.com
            • John Kelly
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 9, 2003
                Hi Paul,

                I appreciate your comment and agree that it is useful
                to see alternative translations. But, I'm assuming
                that the people reading these posts are those working
                through Warder themselves, and so I'll leave it up to
                them to look up the answers. I'm posting these from
                work done a few months ago on these earlier chapters,
                and I don't really have time right now to go back and
                revise my answer document to include Warder's answers.
                He only gives answers up to about lesson 6 anyway.

                I will however be including the Digha Nikaya
                references that he does provide for all the later
                exercises.

                >I think it is probably useful for other beginners
                like
                >myself to
                >see alternative translations. With that in mind,
                could you
                >give
                >Warder's answer when it differs from your own?

                All the best,
                John

                http://calendar.yahoo.com