Re: [Pali] More Pali - Every few days - [C007]bhavo

  • nina van gorkom
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2003
      Dear Jim,
      Thank you very much for the trouble you took. I had no idea about all the
      different meanings of bhavo. I read this with great interest, I am delighted
      to learn more about different word meanings. I saw in my Pali Thai
      dictionary also some more meanings; good quality, khandha, etc. As to
      vuddhi: this makes sense: growth and prosperity.
      The Abhidhaanappadiipikaa from the 16th cent. seems most interesting.
      Nina.

      op 31-05-2003 16:10 schreef Jim Anderson op jimanderson_on@...:

      > There are at least 7 meanings given for the word "bhavo" whereas PED
      > seems to give only the one. I think Warder's translation "good
      > fortune" comes closest to the meaning of "sampatti" -- success,
      > prosperity, etc. ....
      > the meanings I can pick up so far are: vuddhi, sampatti, pu~n~na,
      > sahokaasaa khandhaa, sa.msaara, sassata.
    • Jim Anderson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2003

        I'm glad you found the information interesting. Just a comment on the
        following:

        > The Abhidhaanappadiipikaa from the 16th cent. seems most
        interesting.

        I don't know where you got the 16th cent. dating but according to
        Geiger and his sources the dating is the late 12th cent. and the
        author is Moggallaana who I thought was the famous grammarian. But
        apparently there were two Moggallaanas from around the same period.
        The older one is the grammarian who wrote his grammar a decade or two
        after Aggava.msa wrote his in the mid-12th cent. A second (Nava-)
        Moggallaana compiled the Abhidhaanappadiipikaa near the end of the
        12th cent. This dictionary is similar to the Sanskrit Amarako"sa. The
        Abh (CPD abbrev.) also lists the different meanings of each of the
        prefixes. I have found this little dictionary to be quite helpful and
        I use it quite a bit.

        Best wishes,
        Jim