More Pali - Every few days - [C007]

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 6 , May 28, 2003

      Message 2 of 6 , May 28, 2003
        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, John Kelly <palistudent@y...> wrote:
        > manussaa bhava.m icchanti
        > humans / good fortune / wish for
        > Humans wish for good fortune
        >
        > Metta,
        > John

        Hi John
        I was suprised by the use of "good fortune" as a translation
        for "bhava.m" I would of thought "Humans wish for existence". But I
        see in Warders book, it has "good fortune" as well as existence.
        Is the "good fortune" a common usage?

        Steve
      • nina van gorkom
        Message 3 of 6 , May 28, 2003
          Dear John,
          Although Warder gives this meaning to bhava, it is not in PED. I was
          puzzled. I think that hita.m is good fortune (we just had in the
          Saa.lhasutta), and bhava existence or life. I am inclined to: People cling
          to life.
          Nina
          op 28-05-2003 18:21 schreef John Kelly op palistudent@...:

          > manussaa bhava.m icchanti
          > humans / good fortune / wish for
          > Humans wish for good fortune
        • Jim Anderson
          Message 4 of 6 , May 31, 2003
            Dear Nina,

            There are at least 7 meanings given for the word "bhavo" whereas PED
            seems to give only the one. I think Warder's translation "good
            fortune" comes closest to the meaning of "sampatti" -- success,
            prosperity, etc. To study the different meanings of "bhavo", two good
            sources are the Abhidhaanappadiipikaa which is the oldest Pali
            dictionary/thesaurus (from the 12th cent.) with seven meanings given
            in the following verse:

            829. vuddhiya.m janane kaama-dhaatvaadimhi ca pattiya.m,
            sattaaya.m ceva sa.msaare bhaavo sassatadi.t.thiya.m.

            And the Saddaniiti (pp. 65-7) gives a number of meanings with
            explanations and some examples. I haven't studied it too closely but
            the meanings I can pick up so far are: vuddhi, sampatti, pu~n~na,
            sahokaasaa khandhaa, sa.msaara, sassata. Commentaries and
            subcommentaries would also be good sources for further study. But
            there is a word search conflict with the very frequent honorific
            "bhava.m" (sir -- nom. sing.).

            Best wishes,
            Jim

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2003
              Dear Jim,
              Thank you very much for the trouble you took. I had no idea about all the
              different meanings of bhavo. I read this with great interest, I am delighted
              to learn more about different word meanings. I saw in my Pali Thai
              dictionary also some more meanings; good quality, khandha, etc. As to
              vuddhi: this makes sense: growth and prosperity.
              The Abhidhaanappadiipikaa from the 16th cent. seems most interesting.
              Nina.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 2, 2003
                Dear Nina,

                I'm glad you found the information interesting. Just a comment on the
                following:

                > The Abhidhaanappadiipikaa from the 16th cent. seems most
                interesting.

                I don't know where you got the 16th cent. dating but according to
                Geiger and his sources the dating is the late 12th cent. and the
                author is Moggallaana who I thought was the famous grammarian. But
                apparently there were two Moggallaanas from around the same period.
                The older one is the grammarian who wrote his grammar a decade or two
                after Aggava.msa wrote his in the mid-12th cent. A second (Nava-)
                Moggallaana compiled the Abhidhaanappadiipikaa near the end of the
                12th cent. This dictionary is similar to the Sanskrit Amarako"sa. The
                Abh (CPD abbrev.) also lists the different meanings of each of the
                prefixes. I have found this little dictionary to be quite helpful and
                I use it quite a bit.

                Best wishes,
                Jim