Re: [Pali] Simile #7

  • Äìèòðèé Èâàõíåíêî (Dimit
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 7, 2001
      Hi, Derek and friends,

      DC> I think that for this seventh "simile" -- actually, I think "comparison"
      DC> would be a better word here -- we need only look at the first sentence,
      DC> since the pattern after that is the same as all the others.

      Well, I like to read suttas in full. The repetitions make sense. It is
      not the abstract sense which counts but what is going on in your mind when
      you read the sutta.

      So thus have I translated:

      Aarocayaami vo, bhikkhave, pa.tivedayaami vo, bhikkhave, yathaa
      etadeva tassa vara.m dussiilassa …pe… kasambujaatassa ya.m balavaa
      puriso uddha.mpaada.m adhosira.m gahetvaa tattaaya lohakumbhiyaa pakkhipeyya
      aadittaaya sampajjalitaaya sajotibhuutaaya: so tattha phe.nuddehaka.m
      paccamaano sakimpi uddha.m gaccheyya sakimpi adho gaccheyya sakimpi tiriya.m
      gaccheyya.

      Ta.m kissa hetu? Tatonidanañhi so, bhikkhave, mara.na.m vaa
      nigaccheyya mara.namatta.m vaa dukkha.m, na tveva tappaccayaa kaayassa
      bhedaa para.m mara.naa apaaya.m duggati.m vinipaata.m niraya.m
      upapajjeyya.

      Yañca kho so, bhikkhave, dussiilo …pe… kasambujaato
      khattiyamahaasalana.m vaa brahma.namahaasaalaana.m vaa
      gahapatimahaasaalaana.m vaa saddhaadeyya.m vihaara.m paribhuñjati,
      tañhi tassa, bhikkhave, hoti diigharatta.m ahitaaya dukkhaaya kaayassa
      bhedaa para.m mara.naa apaaya.m duggati.m vinipaata.m niraya.m
      upapajjati.

      Let me tell you, monks, let me answer you, monks, that it better for a
      person, immoral, wicked, unclean and suspect in conduct, secretive in
      deeds, not a contemplative though claiming to be one, not leading the
      holy life though claiming to do so, inwardly rotten, oozing with
      desire, filthy by nature, if a strong man, having gripped one heels up
      head down, were to put one down into a red-hot iron cauldron, burning,
      blazing, glowing; and where there is boiling scum on top, he were to
      go now up, now down, and now sideways.

      Why so? For, monks, because of that he would suffer death, or
      death-like agony, but on account of that, on the break-up of the body
      after death, he won't be reborn in a place of woe, a realm of misery,
      a state of punishment, a purgatory.

      And monks, for such a person, immoral, wicked, unclean and suspect in
      conduct, secretive in deeds, not a contemplative though claiming to be
      one, not leading the holy life though claiming to do so, inwardly
      rotten, oozing with desire, filthy by nature, who uses an abode
      given in faith by wealthy kshatriya, brahmins, or householders, for
      him, monks, there is a long-term harm and suffering, and on the
      break-up of the body after death, he is reborn in a place of woe, a
      realm of misery, a state of punishment, a purgatory.

      Dimitry