Mahaaraahulovaadasutta, to Piya

  • nina van gorkom
    Message 1 of 4 , May 22, 2003
      Dear Piya,
      Thank you for your kindness sending me an attachment with translation. I had
      just been thinking of you, missing you for quite a time. But I thought that
      you were busy with translations. Alas, my computer cannot open it. Also, it
      happens that my mail gets clogged up because of attachments, and thus I
      would rather not have them.
      Maybe we can find another way of communicating, by Email, I find it very
      important to coordinate the translation with you and I am very interested.
      Also the Web will not help me, I have limited access and that with
      difficulty.
      Another suggestion: when we are involved with part of the sutta, could you,
      time permitting, come in with your suggested translation? It would be a
      great help.
      Lately we had a difficult passage: <agreeable and disagreeable impressions
      that have arisen, impinging on
      the mind will not persist.²>
      uppannaa manaapaamanaapaa phassaa citta.m na pariyaadaaya .thassanti. >
      Jim found the placing of the na before pariyaadaaya worth considering and he
      suggested to me that I do research on the passage. He provided me with more
      than hundred text references of a passage similar to this. He could do this
      with a CDRom, I believe. I do some almost daily and it is fascinating to go
      across the whole Sutta Pitaka. My conclusion will follow after June 25 (Yong
      Peng's examination) but meanwhile I shall keep the list informed of my
      findings. Interesting how different people (of PTS) translate it and have
      remarks about others' transl. in footnotes.
      As you see from my Vesak discussion, the sutta does not go out of my mind.
      Meanwhile I also try to finish my Commentary transl and then I shall go back
      to the beginning doing a line by line transl. which Yong Peng suggested. I
      did not translate all in the beginning, I only had the Thai, and later on
      acquired the Pali text. I did not know I would get so involved with these
      texts.
      Thank you again,
      Message 2 of 4 , May 22, 2003
        Dear Nina,

        I've tried to send my file as normal email: it looks a little odd, but
        should work I think.

        I will try to participate as and when I can as what you are doing are useful
        and interesting.

        Sukhi.

        P.

        Message 3 of 4 , May 23, 2003
          Dear Piya, Nina and friends,

          thanks for the file, Piya. I have placed a copy of it in the Files
          section for download (MS-WORD format).

          The filename is m062.doc

          I just realised that Yahoo! reworked the links dynamics in the Files
          section. This caused the embedded links in the archive of Andy's
          Pali Page not to work correctly. I will move the archive to Tipitaka
          Network once my exams are over. I will keep the group updated on
          that.

          metta,
          Yong Peng
        • nina van gorkom
          Message 4 of 4 , May 24, 2003
            Dear Piya,
            Thank you very much for sending your file, I copied it in a document. Now I
            can study it at ease and I see already that it is most useful.
            Nina