Re: [Pali] Re: Mahaaraahulovaadasutta, bhavayato

  • nina van gorkom
    Message 1 of 30 , May 2, 2003
      Dear Jim,
      This is wonderful, thank you very much.
      I had thought of this possibility of a present participle, but then had
      doubts, I did not think of the causative bhaaveti. But now it is clear if we
      think of the causative: for someone who develops (cultivates, makes become).
      If I have got it right now: aya is derived from the e form. And this is
      interesting: Buddhadatta's dict. gives the variant on -maana as :
      bhaavayamaana (from bhaaveti).
      And the references form the Pa.tis-a are most helpful. Also in the Subco to
      this passage I find:paapento. The subco refers to vipassanaa and I shall
      translate this part of the subco next to the commentary.
      sammaa akkhaataani: From now on I shall be more careful with that inserted
      d, it is tricky. Thus, well declared.
      This is most helpful and inspiring, and thank you again,
      Nina.
      op 02-05-2003 04:10 schreef Jim Anderson op jimanderson_on@...:

      > I believe that 'bhaavayato' is a present participle derived from a
      > causative stem with either the dative or genitive (6th case) singular
      > ending (see Warder p. 169). Note that 'paapentassa' is a gloss
      > for 'bhaavayato' at Ps III 140 (also note 'bhaaventassa'
      > for 'bhaavayato' at Pa.tis-a II 468). I think it is more likely here
      > to be in the genitive case "of (in reference to) the one developing"
      > although instead of "of", "for" probably fits better.
      >
      > A while ago I saw that you and John K. were trying to figure
      > out "sammadakkhaataani" (samma-d-akkhaataani) but not sure if it was
      > ever solved satisfactorily. It is equivalent to "sammaa akkhaataani".
      > It is due to sandhi that the 'd' is inserted and the long 'a'
      > of 'sammaa' is shortened. The 'd' is technically called an augment
      > (aagama) which is also seen in 'sammadeva' (samma-d-eva). Other
      > letters are used in the same way for different combinations, eg.
      > yatha-y-ida.m. Several sandhi rules on this can be found in the
      > Saddaniiti (sandhikappo).
    • nina van gorkom
      Message 2 of 30 , May 2, 2003
        op 02-05-2003 11:26 schreef Ong Yong Peng op ypong001@...:

        N: pathaviisama~nhi te, raahula, bhaavana.m bhaavayato
        >pathaviisama~nhi te, raahula, bhaavana.m bhaavayato
        For you (te, dative) , Rahula, who is developing (bhaavayato, from bhaveti,
        present participle and also dative), the development (bhaavana.m) that is
        like the earth (pathaviisama ~nhi), agreeable and disagreeable, etc.

        Y: Here, 'te' ins./gen./dat. of 'tumha', you
        N: for you
        > 1. Is pathaviisama~nhi=pathaviisama.m+hi : for earthlike?
        N: I did not translate the word hi: points to what follows?
        Y: 2. Can 'bhaaveti' be written as 'bhaavayati'?
        N: Especially in the present participium. And here bhaavayato is gen. or
        dative, but in the transl here it can be said: for. (for you who)
        Y: 3. Is 'bhaavayato' a noun or a verb?
        N: It is present participle, and here in the dative .
        Message 3 of 30 , May 2, 2003
          Dear Nina, Jim and friends,

          thanks. I look at Charles Duroiselle's A Practical Grammar of the
          Pali Language and got this from Chapter 10:

          root: bhuu, to be
          (492) causative: bhaave, bhaavaya
          (496) causative base/stem: bhaaveti, to cultivate, practise
          (441) present participle: bhaaventa, bhaavaya.m, bhaavayanta,
          bhaavayamaana.

          Let us choose bhaavaya.m, cultivating, practising.

          "te bhaavayato"

          te = dative of tumha, for you

          then, 'bhaavayato' is 'bhaavaya.m' declined to 'te' which is dative,
          singular, masculine(?).

          I take it that 'bhaavaya.m' is declined similarly to araha.m [see
          Duroiselle Chpt.5 (167)]

          Araha.m > Dat. Sing. > Arahato

          Thus,
          bhaavaya.m > Dat. Sing. > bhaavayato

          Please correct me if I am wrong.

          metta,
          Yong Peng

          Message 4 of 30 , May 2, 2003
            Dear Nina, Jim and friends,

            I notice that Duoiselle Chpt.5 §166 has declension of bhava.m, so
            should bhaavaya.m be declined according to bhava.m or araha.m? Thanks.

            metta,
            Yong Peng

            I take it that 'bhaavaya.m' is declined similarly to araha.m [see
            Duroiselle Chpt.5 (167)]

            > Araha.m > Dat. Sing. > Arahato
            >
            > Thus,
            > bhaavaya.m > Dat. Sing. > bhaavayato
          • Jim Anderson
            Message 5 of 30 , May 3, 2003
              Dear Nina and Yong Peng,

              You've both gotten away ahead of me on this thread. Although I
              consider "bhaavayato" to be a present participle, I pointed this out
              at a time when I still had yet to consider it carefully in the context
              of the passage. I have since done some of that and I agree that "te"
              belongs with "bhaavayato" and that both are in the same case and
              number. However, I question that they are in the dative case. Could
              this not be a genitive absolute construction as described by Warder,
              p. 58 or Duroiselle, no. 603?

              pathaviisama~nhi te, raahula, bhaavana.m bhaavayato, . . . -- M I 423

              For while (or when, as) you, Rahula, are developing the development
              that is like the earth, . . .

              I'm not too clear on a number of parts in the sentence. I find
              'develeping the development' awkward in English. Also, the placement
              of the 'na' before 'pariyaadaaya' instead of before '.thassanti' seems
              unusual to me.

              Best wishes,

              Jim

              Message 6 of 30 , May 3, 2003
                Dear Nina, Jim and friends,

                Jim, you are probably right. If only others can also throw a light
                into this.

                Technically, if 'te' is genitive, and since 'bhaavayato' present
                participle, then "te bhaavayato" is <quote Warder page 58> a
                construction called the "genitive absolute" consists of a noun
                followed by a participle, both inflected in the genitive <end quote>.

                In that case, "te bhaavayato" becomes "as/while you are
                cultivating/developing/practising".

                Here is the abstract from the suttas provided by Dimitry at the
                beginning of the project:

                "Pathaviisama.m, Raahula, bhaavana.m bhaavehi. Pathaviisama~nhi te,
                Raahula, bhaavana.m bhaavayato uppannaa manaapaamanaapaa phassaa
                citta.m na pariyaadaaya .thassanti.

                (a) Ven. Anzan Hoshin sensei and Tory Cox
                Practise like the earth, Rahula. If you become like the earth then
                the sensations which arise, whether pleasant or unpleasant, do not
                take hold of the mind, nor do they establish themselves.

                (b)
                Rahula, develop a mind similar to earth, when you develop a mind
                similar to earth arisen contacts of like and dislike do not take hold
                of your mind and stay.

                I have tried to redo it again:

                According to PED:
                bhaavanna=producing, dwelling on something, putting one's thoughts
                to, application, developing by means of thought or meditation,
                cultivation by mind, culture.

                "Rahula, cultivate the mental quality that is like the earth. Rahula,
                while you are cultivating the mental quality that is like the earth,
                pleasant and unpleasant impressions that have arisen will not
                overwhelm the mind and persist.

                Message 7 of 30 , May 3, 2003
                  Dear Nina, Jim and friends,

                  allow me to add that, I have taken "Pathaviisama~nhi te bhaavana.m
                  bhaavayato" >> "te pathaviisama~nhi bhaavana.m bhaavayato"

                  te bhaavayato = while/as you are developing
                  pathaviisama~nhi bhaavana.m = development of the mind to be like the
                  earth??? If the enclitic 'hi' for 'pathaviisama~nhi' can be fully
                  understood, we could render a better sentence in English.

                  Message 8 of 30 , May 4, 2003
                    Dear Jim and all,
                    op 03-05-2003 17:48 schreef Jim Anderson op jimanderson_on@...:
                    Could
                    > this not be a genitive absolute construction as described by Warder,
                    > p. 58 or Duroiselle, no. 603?
                    >
                    > pathaviisama~nhi te, raahula, bhaavana.m bhaavayato, . . . -- M I 423
                    >
                    > For while (or when, as) you, Rahula, are developing the development
                    > that is like the earth, . . .
                    N: I think it is likely, because the sentence has more than one agent. the
                    other being: the impressions, etc. phassaa.
                    J: I'm not too clear on a number of parts in the sentence. I find
                    > 'develeping the development' awkward in English. Also, the placement
                    > of the 'na' before 'pariyaadaaya' instead of before '.thassanti' seems
                    > unusual to me.
                    N: I think na is for both. I compared the Co:
                    <citta.m na pariyaadaaya .thassantiiti ete phassaa uppajjitvaa
                    As to the words, they do not overcome the mind and persist, this means,
                    after these impressions have arisen,
                    tava citta.m antomu.t.thigata.m karonto viya
                    while the mind just makes as it were a clenched fist >
                    I compared with the Thai, and avoiding the awkward: having not overcome..
                    they do not persist, the Thai uses:they do not overcome the mind, but here
                    is not translated: and do not persist, .thassanti.
                    And there is also this in the Co:
                    pariyaadaaya gahetvaa .thaatu.m na sakkhissanti,
                    here we have gahetvaa and then at end: na sakkhissanti. I take the
                    gahetvaa: after (the mind) has seized them... ??they do not remain. In the
                    subco: this adds :pariggahetvaa, as a gloss to gahetvaa:
                    <gahetvaati kusalappavattiyaa okaasadaanavasena pariggahetvaa.
                    As to the words, having taken hold of, because of the opportunity given for
                    a skilful life, after he has comprehended. >
                    This is difficult for me. What is the gahetvaa, who is doing it.
                    Earlier in the Co. it was stated; Rahula had to develop vipassana pa~n~naa.
                    The meaning is just as in the Elephant's Footprint Discourse, where the
                    monk, after he has learnt the elements, is not disturbed by painful bodily
                    impressions nor by harsh words.
                    By the way if you have time, I stared so long on tava (in the Co.), va is:
                    just, only, indeed, but the ta: ta.m? Because indeed, or because just?
                    Thank you,
                    Nina.
                  • nina van gorkom
                    Message 9 of 30 , May 4, 2003
                      op 03-05-2003 02:02 schreef Ong Yong Peng op ypong001@...:

                      > thanks. I look at Charles Duroiselle's A Practical Grammar of the
                      > Pali Language and got this from Chapter 10:
                      >
                      > root: bhuu, to be
                      > (492) causative: bhaave, bhaavaya
                      > (496) causative base/stem: bhaaveti, to cultivate, practise
                      > (441) present participle: bhaaventa, bhaavaya.m, bhaavayanta,
                      > bhaavayamaana.
                      >
                      > Let us choose bhaavaya.m, cultivating, practising.
                      >
                      > "te bhaavayato"
                      >
                      > te = dative of tumha, for you
                      >
                      > then, 'bhaavayato' is 'bhaavaya.m' declined to 'te' which is dative,
                      > singular, masculine(?).
                      N:Now Jim just suggested it to be genitive absolute: when you, Rahula, are
                      cultivating (applying yourself to) the development that is like the earth...
                      What do you think of it?
                      Y: I take it that 'bhaavaya.m' is declined similarly to araha.m [see
                      > Duroiselle Chpt.5 (167)]
                      > Araha.m > Dat. Sing. > Arahato
                      > Thus,
                      > bhaavaya.m > Dat. Sing. > bhaavayato
                      N: I am afraid to say so, because then we are comparing a noun with a verb
                      form, the present participle.
                      Nina.

                    • nina van gorkom
                      Message 10 of 30 , May 4, 2003
                        Suggestions below seem good, it is a matter of choice now about deciding
                        what is best in English.
                        Nina.

                        Message 11 of 30 , May 5, 2003
                          Dear Nina and friends,

                          sorry for any confusion. Perhaps I should say that bhaavaya.m takes
                          the declension of adjectives ending in -vantu and -mantu? Kindly
                          enlighten me. Thanks.

                          metta,
                          Yong Peng

                          Message 12 of 30 , May 5, 2003

                            > Dear Jim and all,
                            > op 03-05-2003 17:48 schreef Jim Anderson op jimanderson_on@...:
                            > Could
                            > > this not be a genitive absolute construction as described by
                            Warder,
                            > > p. 58 or Duroiselle, no. 603?
                            > >
                            > > pathaviisama~nhi te, raahula, bhaavana.m bhaavayato, . . . -- M I
                            423

                            > > For while (or when, as) you, Rahula, are developing the
                            development
                            > > that is like the earth, . . .
                            > N: I think it is likely, because the sentence has more than one
                            agent. the
                            > other being: the impressions, etc. phassaa.

                            Offlist, Teng Kee has raised an interesting point about the correct
                            usage of the genitive absolute in the sense of disregard (anaadara)
                            "in spite of, despite" according to the native grammars. Warder also
                            discusses this sense but he and others seem to think that the gen.
                            abs. can be used a little more liberally. I'm not sure. For what it's
                            worth, the following is my response to Teng Kee:

                            << Warder does mention this usage (anaadaramhi ca. -- Sadd §633) on
                            p.58 as follows:

                            << Often the genitive absolute has the special sense of disregarding:
                            "despite (the noun doing the participle)." >>

                            I think that strictly speaking in accordance with the native grammars
                            this may be the only usage allowed which can also be used in the
                            locative absolute. It seems possible to translate the sutta passage in
                            the 'anaadara' sense which would go like:

                            For, Rahula, in spite of you developing the development that is like
                            the earth; without (you) having fully grasped (your) mind, the
                            impressions that arise, agreeable or disagreeable, will persist.

                            But this may not fit in too well in the context of the rest of the
                            paragraph. >>

                            > J: I'm not too clear on a number of parts in the sentence. I find
                            > > 'develeping the development' awkward in English. Also, the
                            placement
                            > > of the 'na' before 'pariyaadaaya' instead of before '.thassanti'
                            seems
                            > > unusual to me.
                            > N: I think na is for both. I compared the Co:
                            > <citta.m na pariyaadaaya .thassantiiti ete phassaa uppajjitvaa
                            > As to the words, they do not overcome the mind and persist, this
                            means,
                            > after these impressions have arisen,
                            > tava citta.m antomu.t.thigata.m karonto viya
                            > while the mind just makes as it were a clenched fist >
                            > I compared with the Thai, and avoiding the awkward: having not
                            overcome..
                            > they do not persist, the Thai uses:they do not overcome the mind,
                            but here
                            > is not translated: and do not persist, .thassanti.
                            > And there is also this in the Co:
                            > pariyaadaaya gahetvaa .thaatu.m na sakkhissanti,

                            I'm inclined to think that the 'na' in the sutta passage is intended
                            for 'pariyaadaaya' only. I think if both were negated it would have
                            been written like 'apariyaadaaya na .thassanti'. Note that in the cty.
                            there is no 'na' preceding 'pariyaadaaya' as is the case in the sutta.
                            I have checked three versions of the same cty. passage and all are the
                            same in this respect. I'm not sure why this is so. One possibility
                            could be that the cty. is explaining in opposite terms for what would
                            occur if the citta were fully grasped.

                            > here we have gahetvaa and then at end: na sakkhissanti. I take the
                            > gahetvaa: after (the mind) has seized them... ??they do not remain.
                            In the
                            > subco: this adds :pariggahetvaa, as a gloss to gahetvaa:
                            > <gahetvaati kusalappavattiyaa okaasadaanavasena pariggahetvaa.
                            > As to the words, having taken hold of, because of the opportunity
                            given for
                            > a skilful life, after he has comprehended. >
                            > This is difficult for me. What is the gahetvaa, who is doing it.

                            It is difficult for me too. I'm not yet sure who or what is grasping
                            the mind. It seems that it would either have to be the impressions or
                            Rahula. It's certainly not at all clear.

                            > Earlier in the Co. it was stated; Rahula had to develop vipassana
                            pa~n~naa.
                            > The meaning is just as in the Elephant's Footprint Discourse, where
                            the
                            > monk, after he has learnt the elements, is not disturbed by painful
                            bodily
                            > impressions nor by harsh words.
                            > By the way if you have time, I stared so long on tava (in the Co.),
                            va is:
                            > just, only, indeed, but the ta: ta.m? Because indeed, or because
                            just?

                            'tava' (also 'tuyha.m') like 'te' is the genitive (or dative) singular
                            of 'tva.m', so 'tava citta.m' = your mind or thought.

                            Best wishes,

                            Jim
                          • nina van gorkom
                            Message 13 of 30 , May 6, 2003
                              op 05-05-2003 12:21 schreef Ong Yong Peng op ypong001@...:

                              Perhaps I should say that bhaavaya.m takes
                              > the declension of adjectives ending in -vantu and -mantu? Kindly
                              > enlighten me.
                              N: I think as gaccha.m or gacchanto, Warder Ch 21,
                              and also: Ch 13: as causative: kaarento, kaarayato.
                              -vantu and -mantu seems a different matter.
                              Nina.
                            • nina van gorkom
                              Message 14 of 30 , May 6, 2003
                                Dear Jim,
                                Thank you very much. It is well worth considering.
                                Thank you for the tava, from tvam
                                By the way, it is helpful if Teng Kee would let us share his observations on
                                the list, I would like to follow such discussions, interesting and useful
                                for all of us here.
                                op 06-05-2003 01:54 schreef Jim Anderson op jimanderson_on@...:

                                > << Often the genitive absolute has the special sense of disregarding:
                                > "despite (the noun doing the participle)." >>
                                >
                                > I think that strictly speaking in accordance with the native grammars
                                > this may be the only usage allowed which can also be used in the
                                > locative absolute. It seems possible to translate the sutta passage in
                                > the 'anaadara' sense which would go like:
                                >
                                > For, Rahula, in spite of you developing the development that is like
                                > the earth; without (you) having fully grasped (your) mind, the
                                > impressions that arise, agreeable or disagreeable, will persist.
                                >
                                > But this may not fit in too well in the context of the rest of the
                                > paragraph. >>
                                N: alternatives:this is the old one: A:
                                pathaviisama~nhi te, raahula, bhaavana.m bhaavayato

                                For when you apply yourself to the mental development that is like the
                                earth, Rahula,

                                uppannaa manaapaamanaapaa phassaa citta.m na pariyaadaaya .thassanti.

                                agreeable and disagreeable impressions that have arisen, will not overwhelm
                                the mind and persist.
                                The alternative:B:
                                I looked again at pariyaadaaya: pariyaadati: put an end to, master,
                                destroy.
                                PED: SIII, 155: it is said of raaga.m. To master attachment.

                                For while you apply yourself to the mental development that is like the
                                earth, Rahula, and you do not control the mind, agreeable and disagreeable
                                impressions that have arisen will stay.

                                Now comparing with Co and Subco:
                                Co: citta.m na pariyaadaaya .thassantiiti ete phassaa uppajjitvaa
                                With reference to the words, when you do not control your mind: this means,
                                after these impressions have arisen,

                                tava citta.m antomu.t.thigata.m karonto viya
                                and your mind makes just as it were a clenched fist,

                                pariyaadaaya gahetvaa .thaatu.m na sakkhissanti,
                                and it has controlled and mastered them, they cannot stay.
                                The Subco:
                                gahetvaati kusalappavattiyaa okaasadaanavasena pariggahetvaa.

                                As to the words, after it (the mind) has taken hold of them (mastered them),
                                afterit has comprehended them, because of the opportunity that was given for
                                a skilful course of action.
                                Conclusion: pariyaadaaya, gahetvaa and pariggahetvaa: they seem more or less
                                synonyms for mind control. The citta is doing this (of course not without
                                the right condiitons: it is by vipassana). If this does not happen, those
                                impressions remain.
                                This is as far as I have got. With B the Co and subco seems to agree more.
                                We shall have to make a choice between alternatives A and B, or is there a
                                C?

                                Message 15 of 30 , May 6, 2003
                                  Dear Nina and friends,

                                  thanks, Nina. As my exams are just a few weeks away, perhaps my brain
                                  is not working well on Pali. May I suggest that we take a break for
                                  now, and resume after 24 June. My exams starts on 10 June.

                                  metta,
                                  Yong Peng

                                  Message 16 of 30 , May 6, 2003

                                    Thanks for all the hard work you've put into this so far. I think it's
                                    going to be rather difficult to come to a clear understanding of this
                                    sentence any time soon. It just seems that the more we delve into it,
                                    the more confusing and unclear it becomes, at least for me. Often it
                                    becomes necessary to undertake a lot of research (in tens of hours) to
                                    get just a slightly better understanding of a word or a phrase here
                                    and there. When I came forward to offer some help in identifying
                                    'bhaavayato' as a pres. participle, it wasn't my intention to get too
                                    involved as I have been rather busy lately with other projects of my
                                    own which I would like to get back to soon.

                                    I thought that in order to get a better understanding of "citta.m na
                                    pariyaadaaya .thassanti" it might be wise to study this or other
                                    similar phrases in the context of other suttas along with their
                                    commentaries. I did a search on the CSCD for the word 'pariyaadaaya'
                                    which frequently goes with 'citta.m' and the results were that it
                                    occurs in the Suttantapi.taka 189 times and in the Majjhimanikaaya 62
                                    times. There could be more in the peyyala passages. A good place to
                                    start might be at M I 91 or 239-240 which I think will shed some more
                                    light. It appears that if one goes by the passage at M I 91 the
                                    'impressions' is the agent of 'pariyaadaaya' with 'citta.m' as the
                                    patient. Also in looking at 'tassa' in the M I 239f passage without
                                    any accompanying pres. part. there is the suggestion that the genitive
                                    absolute may not be a correct interpretation of 'te . . . bhaavayato'
                                    in our sentence.

                                    Best wishes,

                                    Jim
                                  • nina van gorkom
                                    Message 17 of 30 , May 7, 2003
                                      I sympathize with your exams and wish you every success. Of course these
                                      need your full attention. I hope you will tell us the outcome.
                                      Meanwhile, I shall keep on with the sutta text and commentaries. I shall
                                      come back June 25 on these texts, if I may. Then we can be at it again full
                                      force. Although you will have to prepare again for exams in October,
                                      November.
                                      These difficult sentences are repeated all the time in the sutta, and thus
                                      we have to arrive at a conclusion somehow.
                                      I shall be away (conditions permitting) May 10 until May 24.
                                      All the best,
                                      Nina.
                                      Message 18 of 30 , May 7, 2003
                                        Dear Jim,
                                        op 07-05-2003 04:29 schreef Jim Anderson op jimanderson_on@...:
                                        > I thought that in order to get a better understanding of "citta.m na
                                        > pariyaadaaya .thassanti" it might be wise to study this or other
                                        > similar phrases in the context of other suttas along with their
                                        > commentaries.A good place to start might be at M I 91 or 239-240 which I
                                        think will shed some more
                                        > light. It appears that if one goes by the passage at M I 91 the
                                        > 'impressions' is the agent of 'pariyaadaaya' with 'citta.m' as the
                                        > patient. Also in looking at 'tassa' in the M I 239f passage without
                                        > any accompanying pres. part. there is the suggestion that the genitive
                                        > absolute may not be a correct interpretation of 'te . . . bhaavayato'
                                        > in our sentence.
                                        N: Thank you for your suggestions, I shall study these passages, I had not
                                        thought of this before, and I have the relevant Pali texts. However, I do
                                        not have the means at my disposal as you have. I like the types of
                                        discussions on texts we just had, it is not confusing, just considering
                                        alternatives. I understand that it is time consuming for you, since you have
                                        other projects. Meanwhile, I cannot let go of texts, I will not give up. I
                                        am glad you have given some directions. It is great if you can come in
                                        sometimes, always inspiring.
                                        I do not expect that I can make a translation without mistakes, but I try
                                        the best I can. If I would be afraid, I would never make any translation and
                                        this goes also for my Commentary translations.
                                        Thank you very much for all the efforts you have put in,
                                        Message 19 of 30 , May 8, 2003
                                          Dear Nina and friends,

                                          thanks very much. Thanks for your advise for Word-by-Word too. Have
                                          a happy holiday.

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jul 13, 2003
                                            Dear Nina and friends,

                                            here is the next paragraph from Maharahulovada Sutta. It follows very
                                            much what Nina has set out in the last paragraph. Please correct me
                                            if I am wrong.

                                            "Aaposama.m, Raahula, bhaavana.m bhaavehi.
                                            water-like / Rahula / mental development / cultivate
                                            "Rahula, cultivate the mental development that is like the water.

                                            aaposama (adj.) water-like.

                                            Aaposama~nhi te, Raahula, bhaavana.m bhaavayato
                                            water-like / for you / Rahula / mental development / is cultivating
                                            Rahula, for you who are cultivating the mental development that is
                                            like the water,

                                            uppannaa manaapa-amanaapaa phassaa citta.m na pariyaadaaya .thassanti.
                                            arisen / pleasant and unpleasant / impressions / mind / not / having
                                            overcome / will persist
                                            pleasant and unpleasant impressions that have arisen will not
                                            persistently overwhelm the mind.

                                            Seyyathaapi, Raahula, aapasmi.m sucimpi dhovanti, asucimpi dhovanti,
                                            just as / Rahula / in water / also clean thing / (they) wash / also
                                            dirty thing / wash
                                            Rahula, just as (people) wash in the water what is clean and what is
                                            dirty

                                            dhovati (v.) washes.

                                            guuthagatampi dhovanti, muttagatampi dhovanti, khe.lagatampi
                                            dhovanti, pubbagatampi dhovanti, lohitagatampi dhovanti,
                                            also faeces / wash / also urine / wash / also spittle / wash / also
                                            pus / wash / also blood / wash
                                            -- faeces, urine, spittle, pus and blood,

                                            na ca tena aapo a.t.tiiyati vaa haraayati vaa jigucchati vaa;
                                            not / and yet / because of it / water / is afflicted / or / is
                                            vexed / or / is disgusted / or
                                            and yet the water is not afflicted, vexed or disgusted because of it.

                                            evameva kho tva.m, Raahula, aaposama.m bhaavana.m bhaavehi.
                                            likewise / indeed / you / Rahula / water-like / mental development /
                                            cultivate
                                            Likewise, Rahula, you should cultivate the mental development that is
                                            like the water.

                                            Aaposama~nhi te, Raahula, bhaavana.m bhaavayato uppannaa manaapa-
                                            amanaapaa phassaa citta.m na pariyaadaaya .thassanti.
                                            water-like / for you / Rahula / mental development / is cultivating /
                                            arisen / pleasant and unpleasant / impressions / mind / not / having
                                            overcome / will persist
                                            Rahula, for you who are cultivating the mental development that is
                                            like the water, pleasant and unpleasant impressions that have arisen
                                            will not persistently overwhelm the mind.

                                            metta,
                                            Yong Peng
                                          • nina van gorkom
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jul 14, 2003
                                              I am hesitant about the use of the article before: water. Piya gave some
                                              tips about the use of the article. Is this better: like water, namely, water
                                              in general? I am not sure. We also had: the earth. Is earth better?
                                              PTS used: the earth, but water, fire and wind without articles. A question
                                              of feeling how it sounds?
                                              Nina.

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jul 15, 2003
                                                Dear Nina and friends,

                                                thanks. I agree it is better not to have the article before 'water',
                                                since we are referring to a general body of water. Grammatically, it
                                                is right, and I think it sounds great. :-)

                                                metta,
                                                Yong Peng