Re: Mahaaraahulovaadasutta, bhaavayato: help urgently needed

    Message 1 of 30 , May 2, 2003
      Dear Nina, Jim and friends,

      allow me to ask another question:

      4. Is 'bhaavayato' derived from 'bhaava' or 'bhaaveti'? I have tried
      working on both as suggested, but still can't get to 'bhaavayato'.

      metta,
      Yong Peng

      > pathaviisama~nhi te, raahula, bhaavana.m bhaavayato
      >
      > Here, 'te' ins./gen./dat. of 'tumha', you
      >
      > 1. Is pathaviisama~nhi=pathaviisama.m+hi : for earthlike?
      >
      > 2. Can 'bhaaveti' be written as 'bhaavayati'?
      >
      > 3. Is 'bhaavayato' a noun or a verb?
    • nina van gorkom
      Message 2 of 30 , May 2, 2003
        Dear Jim,
        This is wonderful, thank you very much.
        I had thought of this possibility of a present participle, but then had
        doubts, I did not think of the causative bhaaveti. But now it is clear if we
        think of the causative: for someone who develops (cultivates, makes become).
        If I have got it right now: aya is derived from the e form. And this is
        interesting: Buddhadatta's dict. gives the variant on -maana as :
        bhaavayamaana (from bhaaveti).
        And the references form the Pa.tis-a are most helpful. Also in the Subco to
        this passage I find:paapento. The subco refers to vipassanaa and I shall
        translate this part of the subco next to the commentary.
        sammaa akkhaataani: From now on I shall be more careful with that inserted
        d, it is tricky. Thus, well declared.
        This is most helpful and inspiring, and thank you again,
        Nina.
        op 02-05-2003 04:10 schreef Jim Anderson op jimanderson_on@...:

        > I believe that 'bhaavayato' is a present participle derived from a
        > causative stem with either the dative or genitive (6th case) singular
        > ending (see Warder p. 169). Note that 'paapentassa' is a gloss
        > for 'bhaavayato' at Ps III 140 (also note 'bhaaventassa'
        > for 'bhaavayato' at Pa.tis-a II 468). I think it is more likely here
        > to be in the genitive case "of (in reference to) the one developing"
        > although instead of "of", "for" probably fits better.
        >
        > A while ago I saw that you and John K. were trying to figure
        > out "sammadakkhaataani" (samma-d-akkhaataani) but not sure if it was
        > ever solved satisfactorily. It is equivalent to "sammaa akkhaataani".
        > It is due to sandhi that the 'd' is inserted and the long 'a'
        > of 'sammaa' is shortened. The 'd' is technically called an augment
        > (aagama) which is also seen in 'sammadeva' (samma-d-eva). Other
        > letters are used in the same way for different combinations, eg.
        > yatha-y-ida.m. Several sandhi rules on this can be found in the
        > Saddaniiti (sandhikappo).
      • nina van gorkom
        Message 3 of 30 , May 2, 2003
          op 02-05-2003 11:26 schreef Ong Yong Peng op ypong001@...:

          N: pathaviisama~nhi te, raahula, bhaavana.m bhaavayato
          >pathaviisama~nhi te, raahula, bhaavana.m bhaavayato
          For you (te, dative) , Rahula, who is developing (bhaavayato, from bhaveti,
          present participle and also dative), the development (bhaavana.m) that is
          like the earth (pathaviisama ~nhi), agreeable and disagreeable, etc.

          Y: Here, 'te' ins./gen./dat. of 'tumha', you
          N: for you
          > 1. Is pathaviisama~nhi=pathaviisama.m+hi : for earthlike?
          N: I did not translate the word hi: points to what follows?
          Y: 2. Can 'bhaaveti' be written as 'bhaavayati'?
          N: Especially in the present participium. And here bhaavayato is gen. or
          dative, but in the transl here it can be said: for. (for you who)
          Y: 3. Is 'bhaavayato' a noun or a verb?
          N: It is present participle, and here in the dative .
          Message 4 of 30 , May 2, 2003
            Dear Nina, Jim and friends,

            thanks. I look at Charles Duroiselle's A Practical Grammar of the
            Pali Language and got this from Chapter 10:

            root: bhuu, to be
            (492) causative: bhaave, bhaavaya
            (496) causative base/stem: bhaaveti, to cultivate, practise
            (441) present participle: bhaaventa, bhaavaya.m, bhaavayanta,
            bhaavayamaana.

            Let us choose bhaavaya.m, cultivating, practising.

            "te bhaavayato"

            te = dative of tumha, for you

            then, 'bhaavayato' is 'bhaavaya.m' declined to 'te' which is dative,
            singular, masculine(?).

            I take it that 'bhaavaya.m' is declined similarly to araha.m [see
            Duroiselle Chpt.5 (167)]

            Araha.m > Dat. Sing. > Arahato

            Thus,
            bhaavaya.m > Dat. Sing. > bhaavayato

            Please correct me if I am wrong.

            metta,
            Yong Peng

            Message 5 of 30 , May 2, 2003
              Dear Nina, Jim and friends,

              I notice that Duoiselle Chpt.5 §166 has declension of bhava.m, so
              should bhaavaya.m be declined according to bhava.m or araha.m? Thanks.

              metta,
              Yong Peng

              I take it that 'bhaavaya.m' is declined similarly to araha.m [see
              Duroiselle Chpt.5 (167)]

              > Araha.m > Dat. Sing. > Arahato
              >
              > Thus,
              > bhaavaya.m > Dat. Sing. > bhaavayato
            • Jim Anderson
              Message 6 of 30 , May 3, 2003
                Dear Nina and Yong Peng,

                You've both gotten away ahead of me on this thread. Although I
                consider "bhaavayato" to be a present participle, I pointed this out
                at a time when I still had yet to consider it carefully in the context
                of the passage. I have since done some of that and I agree that "te"
                belongs with "bhaavayato" and that both are in the same case and
                number. However, I question that they are in the dative case. Could
                this not be a genitive absolute construction as described by Warder,
                p. 58 or Duroiselle, no. 603?

                pathaviisama~nhi te, raahula, bhaavana.m bhaavayato, . . . -- M I 423

                For while (or when, as) you, Rahula, are developing the development
                that is like the earth, . . .

                I'm not too clear on a number of parts in the sentence. I find
                'develeping the development' awkward in English. Also, the placement
                of the 'na' before 'pariyaadaaya' instead of before '.thassanti' seems
                unusual to me.

                Best wishes,

                Jim

                Message 7 of 30 , May 3, 2003
                  Dear Nina, Jim and friends,

                  Jim, you are probably right. If only others can also throw a light
                  into this.

                  Technically, if 'te' is genitive, and since 'bhaavayato' present
                  participle, then "te bhaavayato" is <quote Warder page 58> a
                  construction called the "genitive absolute" consists of a noun
                  followed by a participle, both inflected in the genitive <end quote>.

                  In that case, "te bhaavayato" becomes "as/while you are
                  cultivating/developing/practising".

                  Here is the abstract from the suttas provided by Dimitry at the
                  beginning of the project:

                  "Pathaviisama.m, Raahula, bhaavana.m bhaavehi. Pathaviisama~nhi te,
                  Raahula, bhaavana.m bhaavayato uppannaa manaapaamanaapaa phassaa
                  citta.m na pariyaadaaya .thassanti.

                  (a) Ven. Anzan Hoshin sensei and Tory Cox
                  Practise like the earth, Rahula. If you become like the earth then
                  the sensations which arise, whether pleasant or unpleasant, do not
                  take hold of the mind, nor do they establish themselves.

                  (b)
                  Rahula, develop a mind similar to earth, when you develop a mind
                  similar to earth arisen contacts of like and dislike do not take hold
                  of your mind and stay.

                  I have tried to redo it again:

                  According to PED:
                  bhaavanna=producing, dwelling on something, putting one's thoughts
                  to, application, developing by means of thought or meditation,
                  cultivation by mind, culture.

                  "Rahula, cultivate the mental quality that is like the earth. Rahula,
                  while you are cultivating the mental quality that is like the earth,
                  pleasant and unpleasant impressions that have arisen will not
                  overwhelm the mind and persist.

                  Message 8 of 30 , May 3, 2003
                    Dear Nina, Jim and friends,

                    allow me to add that, I have taken "Pathaviisama~nhi te bhaavana.m
                    bhaavayato" >> "te pathaviisama~nhi bhaavana.m bhaavayato"

                    te bhaavayato = while/as you are developing
                    pathaviisama~nhi bhaavana.m = development of the mind to be like the
                    earth??? If the enclitic 'hi' for 'pathaviisama~nhi' can be fully
                    understood, we could render a better sentence in English.

                    Message 9 of 30 , May 4, 2003
                      Dear Jim and all,
                      op 03-05-2003 17:48 schreef Jim Anderson op jimanderson_on@...:
                      Could
                      > this not be a genitive absolute construction as described by Warder,
                      > p. 58 or Duroiselle, no. 603?
                      >
                      > pathaviisama~nhi te, raahula, bhaavana.m bhaavayato, . . . -- M I 423
                      >
                      > For while (or when, as) you, Rahula, are developing the development
                      > that is like the earth, . . .
                      N: I think it is likely, because the sentence has more than one agent. the
                      other being: the impressions, etc. phassaa.
                      J: I'm not too clear on a number of parts in the sentence. I find
                      > 'develeping the development' awkward in English. Also, the placement
                      > of the 'na' before 'pariyaadaaya' instead of before '.thassanti' seems
                      > unusual to me.
                      N: I think na is for both. I compared the Co:
                      <citta.m na pariyaadaaya .thassantiiti ete phassaa uppajjitvaa
                      As to the words, they do not overcome the mind and persist, this means,
                      after these impressions have arisen,
                      tava citta.m antomu.t.thigata.m karonto viya
                      while the mind just makes as it were a clenched fist >
                      I compared with the Thai, and avoiding the awkward: having not overcome..
                      they do not persist, the Thai uses:they do not overcome the mind, but here
                      is not translated: and do not persist, .thassanti.
                      And there is also this in the Co:
                      pariyaadaaya gahetvaa .thaatu.m na sakkhissanti,
                      here we have gahetvaa and then at end: na sakkhissanti. I take the
                      gahetvaa: after (the mind) has seized them... ??they do not remain. In the
                      subco: this adds :pariggahetvaa, as a gloss to gahetvaa:
                      <gahetvaati kusalappavattiyaa okaasadaanavasena pariggahetvaa.
                      As to the words, having taken hold of, because of the opportunity given for
                      a skilful life, after he has comprehended. >
                      This is difficult for me. What is the gahetvaa, who is doing it.
                      Earlier in the Co. it was stated; Rahula had to develop vipassana pa~n~naa.
                      The meaning is just as in the Elephant's Footprint Discourse, where the
                      monk, after he has learnt the elements, is not disturbed by painful bodily
                      impressions nor by harsh words.
                      By the way if you have time, I stared so long on tava (in the Co.), va is:
                      just, only, indeed, but the ta: ta.m? Because indeed, or because just?
                      Thank you,
                      Nina.
                    • nina van gorkom
                      Message 10 of 30 , May 4, 2003
                        op 03-05-2003 02:02 schreef Ong Yong Peng op ypong001@...:

                        > thanks. I look at Charles Duroiselle's A Practical Grammar of the
                        > Pali Language and got this from Chapter 10:
                        >
                        > root: bhuu, to be
                        > (492) causative: bhaave, bhaavaya
                        > (496) causative base/stem: bhaaveti, to cultivate, practise
                        > (441) present participle: bhaaventa, bhaavaya.m, bhaavayanta,
                        > bhaavayamaana.
                        >
                        > Let us choose bhaavaya.m, cultivating, practising.
                        >
                        > "te bhaavayato"
                        >
                        > te = dative of tumha, for you
                        >
                        > then, 'bhaavayato' is 'bhaavaya.m' declined to 'te' which is dative,
                        > singular, masculine(?).
                        N:Now Jim just suggested it to be genitive absolute: when you, Rahula, are
                        cultivating (applying yourself to) the development that is like the earth...
                        What do you think of it?
                        Y: I take it that 'bhaavaya.m' is declined similarly to araha.m [see
                        > Duroiselle Chpt.5 (167)]
                        > Araha.m > Dat. Sing. > Arahato
                        > Thus,
                        > bhaavaya.m > Dat. Sing. > bhaavayato
                        N: I am afraid to say so, because then we are comparing a noun with a verb
                        form, the present participle.
                        Nina.

                      • nina van gorkom
                        Message 11 of 30 , May 4, 2003
                          Suggestions below seem good, it is a matter of choice now about deciding
                          what is best in English.
                          Nina.

                          Message 12 of 30 , May 5, 2003
                            Dear Nina and friends,

                            sorry for any confusion. Perhaps I should say that bhaavaya.m takes
                            the declension of adjectives ending in -vantu and -mantu? Kindly
                            enlighten me. Thanks.

                            metta,
                            Yong Peng

                            Message 13 of 30 , May 5, 2003

                              > Dear Jim and all,
                              > op 03-05-2003 17:48 schreef Jim Anderson op jimanderson_on@...:
                              > Could
                              > > this not be a genitive absolute construction as described by
                              Warder,
                              > > p. 58 or Duroiselle, no. 603?
                              > >
                              > > pathaviisama~nhi te, raahula, bhaavana.m bhaavayato, . . . -- M I
                              423

                              > > For while (or when, as) you, Rahula, are developing the
                              development
                              > > that is like the earth, . . .
                              > N: I think it is likely, because the sentence has more than one
                              agent. the
                              > other being: the impressions, etc. phassaa.

                              Offlist, Teng Kee has raised an interesting point about the correct
                              usage of the genitive absolute in the sense of disregard (anaadara)
                              "in spite of, despite" according to the native grammars. Warder also
                              discusses this sense but he and others seem to think that the gen.
                              abs. can be used a little more liberally. I'm not sure. For what it's
                              worth, the following is my response to Teng Kee:

                              << Warder does mention this usage (anaadaramhi ca. -- Sadd §633) on
                              p.58 as follows:

                              << Often the genitive absolute has the special sense of disregarding:
                              "despite (the noun doing the participle)." >>

                              I think that strictly speaking in accordance with the native grammars
                              this may be the only usage allowed which can also be used in the
                              locative absolute. It seems possible to translate the sutta passage in
                              the 'anaadara' sense which would go like:

                              For, Rahula, in spite of you developing the development that is like
                              the earth; without (you) having fully grasped (your) mind, the
                              impressions that arise, agreeable or disagreeable, will persist.

                              But this may not fit in too well in the context of the rest of the
                              paragraph. >>

                              > J: I'm not too clear on a number of parts in the sentence. I find
                              > > 'develeping the development' awkward in English. Also, the
                              placement
                              > > of the 'na' before 'pariyaadaaya' instead of before '.thassanti'
                              seems
                              > > unusual to me.
                              > N: I think na is for both. I compared the Co:
                              > <citta.m na pariyaadaaya .thassantiiti ete phassaa uppajjitvaa
                              > As to the words, they do not overcome the mind and persist, this
                              means,
                              > after these impressions have arisen,
                              > tava citta.m antomu.t.thigata.m karonto viya
                              > while the mind just makes as it were a clenched fist >
                              > I compared with the Thai, and avoiding the awkward: having not
                              overcome..
                              > they do not persist, the Thai uses:they do not overcome the mind,
                              but here
                              > is not translated: and do not persist, .thassanti.
                              > And there is also this in the Co:
                              > pariyaadaaya gahetvaa .thaatu.m na sakkhissanti,

                              I'm inclined to think that the 'na' in the sutta passage is intended
                              for 'pariyaadaaya' only. I think if both were negated it would have
                              been written like 'apariyaadaaya na .thassanti'. Note that in the cty.
                              there is no 'na' preceding 'pariyaadaaya' as is the case in the sutta.
                              I have checked three versions of the same cty. passage and all are the
                              same in this respect. I'm not sure why this is so. One possibility
                              could be that the cty. is explaining in opposite terms for what would
                              occur if the citta were fully grasped.

                              > here we have gahetvaa and then at end: na sakkhissanti. I take the
                              > gahetvaa: after (the mind) has seized them... ??they do not remain.
                              In the
                              > subco: this adds :pariggahetvaa, as a gloss to gahetvaa:
                              > <gahetvaati kusalappavattiyaa okaasadaanavasena pariggahetvaa.
                              > As to the words, having taken hold of, because of the opportunity
                              given for
                              > a skilful life, after he has comprehended. >
                              > This is difficult for me. What is the gahetvaa, who is doing it.

                              It is difficult for me too. I'm not yet sure who or what is grasping
                              the mind. It seems that it would either have to be the impressions or
                              Rahula. It's certainly not at all clear.

                              > Earlier in the Co. it was stated; Rahula had to develop vipassana
                              pa~n~naa.
                              > The meaning is just as in the Elephant's Footprint Discourse, where
                              the
                              > monk, after he has learnt the elements, is not disturbed by painful
                              bodily
                              > impressions nor by harsh words.
                              > By the way if you have time, I stared so long on tava (in the Co.),
                              va is:
                              > just, only, indeed, but the ta: ta.m? Because indeed, or because
                              just?

                              'tava' (also 'tuyha.m') like 'te' is the genitive (or dative) singular
                              of 'tva.m', so 'tava citta.m' = your mind or thought.

                              Best wishes,

                              Jim
                            • nina van gorkom
                              Message 14 of 30 , May 6, 2003
                                op 05-05-2003 12:21 schreef Ong Yong Peng op ypong001@...:

                                Perhaps I should say that bhaavaya.m takes
                                > the declension of adjectives ending in -vantu and -mantu? Kindly
                                > enlighten me.
                                N: I think as gaccha.m or gacchanto, Warder Ch 21,
                                and also: Ch 13: as causative: kaarento, kaarayato.
                                -vantu and -mantu seems a different matter.
                                Nina.
                              • nina van gorkom
                                Message 15 of 30 , May 6, 2003
                                  Dear Jim,
                                  Thank you very much. It is well worth considering.
                                  Thank you for the tava, from tvam
                                  By the way, it is helpful if Teng Kee would let us share his observations on
                                  the list, I would like to follow such discussions, interesting and useful
                                  for all of us here.
                                  op 06-05-2003 01:54 schreef Jim Anderson op jimanderson_on@...:

                                  > << Often the genitive absolute has the special sense of disregarding:
                                  > "despite (the noun doing the participle)." >>
                                  >
                                  > I think that strictly speaking in accordance with the native grammars
                                  > this may be the only usage allowed which can also be used in the
                                  > locative absolute. It seems possible to translate the sutta passage in
                                  > the 'anaadara' sense which would go like:
                                  >
                                  > For, Rahula, in spite of you developing the development that is like
                                  > the earth; without (you) having fully grasped (your) mind, the
                                  > impressions that arise, agreeable or disagreeable, will persist.
                                  >
                                  > But this may not fit in too well in the context of the rest of the
                                  > paragraph. >>
                                  N: alternatives:this is the old one: A:
                                  pathaviisama~nhi te, raahula, bhaavana.m bhaavayato

                                  For when you apply yourself to the mental development that is like the
                                  earth, Rahula,

                                  uppannaa manaapaamanaapaa phassaa citta.m na pariyaadaaya .thassanti.

                                  agreeable and disagreeable impressions that have arisen, will not overwhelm
                                  the mind and persist.
                                  The alternative:B:
                                  I looked again at pariyaadaaya: pariyaadati: put an end to, master,
                                  destroy.
                                  PED: SIII, 155: it is said of raaga.m. To master attachment.

                                  For while you apply yourself to the mental development that is like the
                                  earth, Rahula, and you do not control the mind, agreeable and disagreeable
                                  impressions that have arisen will stay.

                                  Now comparing with Co and Subco:
                                  Co: citta.m na pariyaadaaya .thassantiiti ete phassaa uppajjitvaa
                                  With reference to the words, when you do not control your mind: this means,
                                  after these impressions have arisen,

                                  tava citta.m antomu.t.thigata.m karonto viya
                                  and your mind makes just as it were a clenched fist,

                                  pariyaadaaya gahetvaa .thaatu.m na sakkhissanti,
                                  and it has controlled and mastered them, they cannot stay.
                                  The Subco:
                                  gahetvaati kusalappavattiyaa okaasadaanavasena pariggahetvaa.

                                  As to the words, after it (the mind) has taken hold of them (mastered them),
                                  afterit has comprehended them, because of the opportunity that was given for
                                  a skilful course of action.
                                  Conclusion: pariyaadaaya, gahetvaa and pariggahetvaa: they seem more or less
                                  synonyms for mind control. The citta is doing this (of course not without
                                  the right condiitons: it is by vipassana). If this does not happen, those
                                  impressions remain.
                                  This is as far as I have got. With B the Co and subco seems to agree more.
                                  We shall have to make a choice between alternatives A and B, or is there a
                                  C?

                                  Message 16 of 30 , May 6, 2003
                                    Dear Nina and friends,

                                    thanks, Nina. As my exams are just a few weeks away, perhaps my brain
                                    is not working well on Pali. May I suggest that we take a break for
                                    now, and resume after 24 June. My exams starts on 10 June.

                                    metta,
                                    Yong Peng

                                    Message 17 of 30 , May 6, 2003

                                      Thanks for all the hard work you've put into this so far. I think it's
                                      going to be rather difficult to come to a clear understanding of this
                                      sentence any time soon. It just seems that the more we delve into it,
                                      the more confusing and unclear it becomes, at least for me. Often it
                                      becomes necessary to undertake a lot of research (in tens of hours) to
                                      get just a slightly better understanding of a word or a phrase here
                                      and there. When I came forward to offer some help in identifying
                                      'bhaavayato' as a pres. participle, it wasn't my intention to get too
                                      involved as I have been rather busy lately with other projects of my
                                      own which I would like to get back to soon.

                                      I thought that in order to get a better understanding of "citta.m na
                                      pariyaadaaya .thassanti" it might be wise to study this or other
                                      similar phrases in the context of other suttas along with their
                                      commentaries. I did a search on the CSCD for the word 'pariyaadaaya'
                                      which frequently goes with 'citta.m' and the results were that it
                                      occurs in the Suttantapi.taka 189 times and in the Majjhimanikaaya 62
                                      times. There could be more in the peyyala passages. A good place to
                                      start might be at M I 91 or 239-240 which I think will shed some more
                                      light. It appears that if one goes by the passage at M I 91 the
                                      'impressions' is the agent of 'pariyaadaaya' with 'citta.m' as the
                                      patient. Also in looking at 'tassa' in the M I 239f passage without
                                      any accompanying pres. part. there is the suggestion that the genitive
                                      absolute may not be a correct interpretation of 'te . . . bhaavayato'
                                      in our sentence.

                                      Best wishes,

                                      Jim
                                    • nina van gorkom
                                      Message 18 of 30 , May 7, 2003
                                        I sympathize with your exams and wish you every success. Of course these
                                        need your full attention. I hope you will tell us the outcome.
                                        Meanwhile, I shall keep on with the sutta text and commentaries. I shall
                                        come back June 25 on these texts, if I may. Then we can be at it again full
                                        force. Although you will have to prepare again for exams in October,
                                        November.
                                        These difficult sentences are repeated all the time in the sutta, and thus
                                        we have to arrive at a conclusion somehow.
                                        I shall be away (conditions permitting) May 10 until May 24.
                                        All the best,
                                        Nina.
                                        Message 19 of 30 , May 7, 2003
                                          Dear Jim,
                                          op 07-05-2003 04:29 schreef Jim Anderson op jimanderson_on@...:
                                          > I thought that in order to get a better understanding of "citta.m na
                                          > pariyaadaaya .thassanti" it might be wise to study this or other
                                          > similar phrases in the context of other suttas along with their
                                          > commentaries.A good place to start might be at M I 91 or 239-240 which I
                                          think will shed some more
                                          > light. It appears that if one goes by the passage at M I 91 the
                                          > 'impressions' is the agent of 'pariyaadaaya' with 'citta.m' as the
                                          > patient. Also in looking at 'tassa' in the M I 239f passage without
                                          > any accompanying pres. part. there is the suggestion that the genitive
                                          > absolute may not be a correct interpretation of 'te . . . bhaavayato'
                                          > in our sentence.
                                          N: Thank you for your suggestions, I shall study these passages, I had not
                                          thought of this before, and I have the relevant Pali texts. However, I do
                                          not have the means at my disposal as you have. I like the types of
                                          discussions on texts we just had, it is not confusing, just considering
                                          alternatives. I understand that it is time consuming for you, since you have
                                          other projects. Meanwhile, I cannot let go of texts, I will not give up. I
                                          am glad you have given some directions. It is great if you can come in
                                          sometimes, always inspiring.
                                          I do not expect that I can make a translation without mistakes, but I try
                                          the best I can. If I would be afraid, I would never make any translation and
                                          this goes also for my Commentary translations.
                                          Thank you very much for all the efforts you have put in,
                                          Message 20 of 30 , May 8, 2003
                                            Dear Nina and friends,

                                            thanks very much. Thanks for your advise for Word-by-Word too. Have
                                            a happy holiday.

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jul 13, 2003
                                              Dear Nina and friends,

                                              here is the next paragraph from Maharahulovada Sutta. It follows very
                                              much what Nina has set out in the last paragraph. Please correct me
                                              if I am wrong.

                                              "Aaposama.m, Raahula, bhaavana.m bhaavehi.
                                              water-like / Rahula / mental development / cultivate
                                              "Rahula, cultivate the mental development that is like the water.

                                              aaposama (adj.) water-like.

                                              Aaposama~nhi te, Raahula, bhaavana.m bhaavayato
                                              water-like / for you / Rahula / mental development / is cultivating
                                              Rahula, for you who are cultivating the mental development that is
                                              like the water,

                                              uppannaa manaapa-amanaapaa phassaa citta.m na pariyaadaaya .thassanti.
                                              arisen / pleasant and unpleasant / impressions / mind / not / having
                                              overcome / will persist
                                              pleasant and unpleasant impressions that have arisen will not
                                              persistently overwhelm the mind.

                                              Seyyathaapi, Raahula, aapasmi.m sucimpi dhovanti, asucimpi dhovanti,
                                              just as / Rahula / in water / also clean thing / (they) wash / also
                                              dirty thing / wash
                                              Rahula, just as (people) wash in the water what is clean and what is
                                              dirty

                                              dhovati (v.) washes.

                                              guuthagatampi dhovanti, muttagatampi dhovanti, khe.lagatampi
                                              dhovanti, pubbagatampi dhovanti, lohitagatampi dhovanti,
                                              also faeces / wash / also urine / wash / also spittle / wash / also
                                              pus / wash / also blood / wash
                                              -- faeces, urine, spittle, pus and blood,

                                              na ca tena aapo a.t.tiiyati vaa haraayati vaa jigucchati vaa;
                                              not / and yet / because of it / water / is afflicted / or / is
                                              vexed / or / is disgusted / or
                                              and yet the water is not afflicted, vexed or disgusted because of it.

                                              evameva kho tva.m, Raahula, aaposama.m bhaavana.m bhaavehi.
                                              likewise / indeed / you / Rahula / water-like / mental development /
                                              cultivate
                                              Likewise, Rahula, you should cultivate the mental development that is
                                              like the water.

                                              Aaposama~nhi te, Raahula, bhaavana.m bhaavayato uppannaa manaapa-
                                              amanaapaa phassaa citta.m na pariyaadaaya .thassanti.
                                              water-like / for you / Rahula / mental development / is cultivating /
                                              arisen / pleasant and unpleasant / impressions / mind / not / having
                                              overcome / will persist
                                              Rahula, for you who are cultivating the mental development that is
                                              like the water, pleasant and unpleasant impressions that have arisen
                                              will not persistently overwhelm the mind.

                                              metta,
                                              Yong Peng
                                            • nina van gorkom
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jul 14, 2003
                                                I am hesitant about the use of the article before: water. Piya gave some
                                                tips about the use of the article. Is this better: like water, namely, water
                                                in general? I am not sure. We also had: the earth. Is earth better?
                                                PTS used: the earth, but water, fire and wind without articles. A question
                                                of feeling how it sounds?
                                                Nina.

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jul 15, 2003
                                                  Dear Nina and friends,

                                                  thanks. I agree it is better not to have the article before 'water',
                                                  since we are referring to a general body of water. Grammatically, it
                                                  is right, and I think it sounds great. :-)

                                                  metta,
                                                  Yong Peng