Ayu vanna sukha bala

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2003
      Dear Pali friends,

      I came across a beautiful teaching some time ago where the Buddha
      interprets "aayu va.n.na sukha bala" in terms of a monk, that is,
      when is a monk long-lived?
      when is a monk beautiful?
      when is a monk happy?
      when is a monk endowed with power?

      (or something to this effect)

      Could someone give me the exact Pali reference for this.

      Thanks and sukhi.

      Piya.
    • nina van gorkom
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2003
        Dear Piya Tan,
        op 30-04-2003 18:24 schreef Piya Tan op libris@...:

        > I came across a beautiful teaching some time ago where the Buddha
        > interprets "aayu va.n.na sukha bala" in terms of a monk, that is,
        > when is a monk long-lived?
        > when is a monk beautiful?
        > when is a monk happy?
        > when is a monk endowed with power?
        N:9 Oct 2002, Rob Edison wrote about Appamadasutta, Sam. Nikaya,
        Kosalasamyuttam, comparing tr by Ven. Thanissaro and Ven. Bodhi. Maybe this
        helps for further reference?
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2003

          Sorry Nina, I need the 4 four blessings in reference to monks, where they
          are interpreted in a radically different way.

          Hope someone can help.

          BTW I am planning to buy a set of the BUDSIR Pali CD from Mahidol
          University, Thailand, for the benefit of Pali enthusiasts in Singapore. Any
          advice from anyone.

          Sukhi.

          P.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2003