Re: [Pali] Para 12

  • Äìèòðèé Èâàõíåíêî (Dimit
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2001
      Hi Derek,

      DC> Q1: I'm not sure about the "ta.m tassa" ... does tassa refer to the
      DC> strong man, i.e., "his"?

      'tassa' is Genitive-Dative, so 'his' or 'to him'. See my
      interpretation below.

      DC> Q2: Presumably it's the "enjoying" of the alms-food that's not so
      DC> good ... monks are supposed to just eat it without enjoyment?

      Well, before Enlightenment Buddha discovered that happiness is neither
      bad nor good, if you don't cling to it, and through jhanas went to
      Awakening.

      It seems that the point here is that a person partaking alms-food, i.e.
      bhikkhu, should take care before being immoral, as it's
      dangerous for an immoral person to live on alms-food given in faith.

      I'm starting to value Buddha's sense of humor.

      So here we go:

      Aarocayaami vo, bhikkhave, pa.tivedayaami vo, bhikkhave, yathaa
      etadeva tassa vara.m dussiilassa …pe… kasambujaatassa ya.m balavaa
      puriso tattena ayosa"nkunaa mukha.m vivaritvaa tatta.m
      lohagu.la.m aaditta.m sampajjalita.m sajotibhuuta.m mukhe
      pakkhipeyya; ta.m tassa o.t.thampi daheyya mukhampi daheyya jivhampi
      daheyya ka.n.thampi daheyya urampi daheyya antampi antagu.nampi
      aadaaya adhobhaagaa nikkhameyya.

      Ta.m kissa hetu? Tatonidanañhi so, bhikkhave, mara.na.m vaa
      nigaccheyya mara.namatta.m vaa dukkha.m, na tveva tappaccayaa kaayassa
      bhedaa para.m mara.naa apaaya.m duggati.m vinipaata.m niraya.m
      upapajjeyya.

      Yañca kho so, bhikkhave, dussiilo …pe… kasambujaato
      khattiyamahaasalana.m vaa brahma.namahaasaalaana.m vaa
      gahapatimahaasaalaana.m vaa saddhaadeyya.m pi.n.dapaata.m
      paribhuñjati, tañhi tassa, bhikkhave, hoti diigharatta.m ahitaaya
      dukkhaaya kaayassa bhedaa para.m mara.naa apaaya.m duggati.m
      vinipaata.m niraya.m upapajjati.

      Let me tell you, monks, let me answer you, monks, that it better for a
      person, immoral, wicked, unclean and suspect in conduct, secretive in
      deeds, not a contemplative though claiming to be one, not leading the
      holy life though claiming to do so, inwardly rotten, oozing with
      desire, filthy by nature, if a strong man, having opened the mouth
      with a red-hot iron spike, were to hurl into the mouth a red-hot iron
      ball, burning, blazing, glowing; and it would burn this person's lip,
      and would burn the mouth, and would burn the tongue, and would burn
      the throat, and would burn the chest, and having been received by
      the lower intestine, it would be expelled from the lower part of
      the body.

      Why so? For, monks, because of that he would suffer death, or
      death-like agony, but on account of that, on the break-up of the body
      after death, he won't be reborn in a place of woe, a realm of misery,
      a state of punishment, a purgatory.

      And monks, for such a person, immoral, wicked, unclean and suspect in
      conduct, secretive in deeds, not a contemplative though claiming to be
      one, not leading the holy life though claiming to do so, inwardly
      rotten, oozing with desire, filthy by nature, who eats the food