Re: [Pali] Sword in the butt

  • Äìèòðèé Èâàõíåíêî (Dimit
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 5, 2001
      Derek,

      I'll explain in detail:

      'na tveva' = 'but not'
      'tappaccayaa' = ta.m + paccayaa (Ablative), 'on that account'
      'na tveva tappaccayaa' = 'but on account on that ... not'

      You wrote: 'oil-clean sword'
      I would propose 'oil-washed', or taking in account that boiling in
      special oils is an ancient method for keeping iron from staining,
      'oil-bleached' or something like this.

      Moving right along now ...

      Aarocayaami vo, bhikkhave, pa.tivedayaami vo, bhikkhave, yathaa
      etadeva tassa vara.m dussiilassa …pe… kasambujaatassa ya.m balavaa
      puriso ti.nhaaya sattiyaa teladhotaaya paccorasmi.m pahareyya.

      Ta.m kissa hetu? Tatonidanañhi so, bhikkhave, mara.na.m vaa
      nigaccheyya mara.namatta.m vaa dukkha.m, na tveva tappaccayaa kaayassa
      bhedaa para.m mara.naa apaaya.m duggati.m vinipaata.m niraya.m
      upapajjeyya.

      Yañca kho so, bhikkhave, dussiilo …pe… kasambujaato
      khattiyamahaasalana.m vaa brahma.namahaasaalaana.m vaa
      gahapatimahaasaalaana.m vaa añjalikamma.m saadiyati, tañhi tassa,
      bhikkhave, hoti diigharatta.m ahitaaya dukkhaaya kaayassa bhedaa
      para.m mara.naa apaaya.m duggati.m vinipaata.m niraya.m upapajjati.

      Let me tell you, monks, let me answer you, monks, that it better for a
      person, immoral, wicked, unclean and suspect in conduct, secretive in
      deeds, not a contemplative though claiming to be one, not leading the
      holy life though claiming to do so, inwardly rotten, oozing with
      desire, filthy by nature, if a strong man were to strike with a sharp,
      oil-bleached sword in the nether-quarters.

      Why so? For, monks, because of that he would suffer death,
      or death-like agony, but on account of that, on the break-up of the body
      after death, he won't be reborn in a place of woe, a realm of misery,
      a state of punishment, a purgatory.

      And monks, for such a person, immoral, wicked, unclean and suspect in
      conduct, secretive in deeds, not a contemplative though claiming to be
      one, not leading the holy life though claiming to do so, inwardly
      rotten, oozing with desire, filthy by nature, who makes a salutation
      [wai or namaste gesture] to rich kshatriyas, or rich brahmins, or rich
      householders, for him, monks, there is a long-term harm and suffering,
      and on the break-up of the body after death, he is reborn in a place
      of woe, a realm of misery, a state of punishment, a purgatory.

      Metta,
      Dimitry