Re: [Pali] Re: 4 jhanas - vitakka & vicara

  • Lars Siebold
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 3, 2003
      Hi Derek,

      > See the PED article on vitakka.

      O.K. But isn't it still just different kinds of thought?
      Compare the definition of vaci-sankhara as vitakka and vicara: After having
      vitakka'd and vicara'd one breaks out into speach, thus they are called the
      vaci-sankhara.
      Certainly it would be quite a subtle kind of thought in the jhana. (see also
      http://www.buddhadust.org/dhammatalk/give_ear/rethinking_vitakka.htm)

      Greetings
      Lars
    • Lars Siebold
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 3, 2003
        See also
        http://www.buddhadust.org/dhammatalk/dhamma_talk/pajapatis_problem.htm
        It's not really about our problem here, but the beginning is also about
        vitakka and vicara. Anyway it makes an interresting read, also in
        combination with
        http://www.buddhadust.org/dhammatalk/sitting_practice/koan_n_samma_ditthi.ht

        Lars
      • Derek Cameron
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 3, 2003
          Hi, Lars,

          For me, Ajahn Brahmavamso puts it well:

          QUOTE

          However, it should be known and recognised that thinking, as you
          normally perceive it, is not present in these jhanas at all.

          That which we call thought has completely subsided.

          What these two terms refer to is a last vestige of the movement of
          the mind which, if it was continued, would give rise to thinking.

          ENDQUOTE

          That's from his talk titled "Travelogue to the four jhanas" at
          http://www.saigon.com/~anson/ebud/ebmed042.htm

          Derek.
        • ������� ���������� ��������� (Dimitry A.
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 3, 2003
            Dear John,

            JK> In a highly
            JK> concentrated state, there doesn't seem to be a place
            JK> for deliberation and reasoned reflection.

            I would translate "vitakka" and "vicara" as "reasoning" and "study".
            Vitakka shifts to the object with the help of the logical analysis of
            the designations, and vicara investigates the object on the basis of
            its concept. There's surely a place for those processes in the first
            jhana.

            The rendering 'applied and sustained thought' shows the consequential
            roles that vitakka and vicara play, yet it removes the exact meanings
            of these processes.

            Metta,
            Dimitry
          • Lars Siebold
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 4, 2003
              Derek Cameron wrote:
              > For me, Ajahn Brahmavamso puts it well:

              Hi Derek,

              That's about what I had in mind when I said "subtle kind of thought". I have
              in no way anything to say about vitakka and vicara in the jhana (not yet
              :-)). What I wanted to point out was, that also in Buddhist use it certainly
              has the meaning of "thought". Your post sounded like you said it wouldn't
              have that meaning in the Buddhas teaching at all. I hope I didn't
              missunderstand you there.

              Lars
            • nina van gorkom
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 5, 2003
                Hi Derek and all,

                op 03-04-2003 21:38 schreef Derek Cameron op derekacameron@...:about
                vitakka and vicaara.

                N:You may find it helpful to read the Visuddhimagga, Ch III and IV. It makes
                very good reading anyway.This part is on Rob K's web:
                http://www.abhidhamma.org/

                It is described that vitakka is still needed in the first jhana, it is
                accompanying the jhanacitta and it hits or strikes the meditation subject
                again and again. Vicara causes the citta to be occupied with the medtation
                subject. These two factors are among the jhanafactors which have to be
                cultivated and they perform their functions also in access concentration and
                in attainment concentration, when jhanacitta arises. Now here we should not
                think of <thinking> as we use the word in conventional language. When the
                yogaavacaara develops the meditation subject, for example a kasina, he has
                to look at it first, and then he acquirs a mental image. When calm is
                developed and he attains jhana he experiences the meditation subject with
                absorption. He does not think of the kasina, but the cetasikas vitakka and
                vicara that accompany the jhanacitta are performing their functions. In the
                second jhana (of the fourfold system) these factors are no longer needed in
                order to experience the meditation subject. There is a greater calm so that
                vitakka and vicara are abandoned. Also in samatha (not only in vipassana)
                great pa~n~naa is needed so that the different jhanafactors can be
                discerned. This is most difficult, because vitakka and vicara are very
                close.
                But, by the way, Derek, you know, I am missing your suttas. But I
                understand it if it is difficult to find time.
                Nina.
              • Derek Cameron
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 5, 2003
                  Hi, Nina,

                  > Now here we should not
                  > think of <thinking> as we use the word in conventional language.

                  That's an excellent way of putting it.

                  > But, by the way, Derek, you know, I am missing your suttas. But I
                  > understand it if it is difficult to find time.

                  Yes, it's fun doing a whole sutta provided it's of a reasonable
                  length. Since I can't get to the internet as much as I used to, would
                  you or anyone else like to start one?

                  Derek.
                • nina van gorkom
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 6, 2003
                    Dear Derek and Yong Peng,
                    op 05-04-2003 20:27 schreef Derek Cameron op derekacameron@...:

                    > Yes, it's fun doing a whole sutta provided it's of a reasonable
                    > length. Since I can't get to the internet as much as I used to, would
                    > you or anyone else like to start one?
                    N: But I am not a webgoer either, and my Email crashes when people send me
                    attachments, except Jim's texts. I am now thinking of something else. I
                    finished part of commentary to Mahaaraahulovaadasutta, but this is further
                    on in the Sutta than the part of the sutta we had before, on the element of
                    heat (fire). I like to coordinate with Yong Peng and decided to wait with my
                    translation.
                    I have the Pali sutta text on line (Jim gave it to me) and would like to ask
                    Yong Peng whether I can bring it here, I mean, part by part. Perhaps first
                    up to the element of air, later the element of space?
                    I know that Yong Peng is so busy now, and can we perhaps help? I realize
                    though that the three linear method also takes extra time. I wonder whether
                    you could help here, bit by bit?
                    Tomorrow I go away for three days, but I am interested to know what we can
                    do after I come back.
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 6, 2003
                      Dear Nina, Derek and friends,

                      Yes, I would be very glad if more people join in the translation of
                      Maharahulovada Sutta. I'm sure all members will benefit from such a
                      participation. I welcome those interested to reply to this mail. If
                      we can gather just four or five persons, we can rotate among
                      ourselves to post the translation of one paragraph each week (just
                      one paragraph per person per month). If we have more participants,
                      then a lighter load each will get.

                      Nina, actually, I wanted to ask if you could do a translation (not
                      necessary word by word) of the commentary so that I can put on
                      Tipitaka.net. I'm glad to learn that you are already doing that. Yes,
                      I look forward to you putting up the work here. Please do as you see
                      fit.

                      Do have a pleasant and safe trip, Nina.

                      metta,
                      Yong Peng

                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 10, 2003
                        Dear Yong Peng and friends,
                        let us do it. Wo is doing what?
                        Trilinear is important, we have many silent participants who like to start
                        reading suttas. The PTS translation and Wheel 101, Elephant's Footprint can
                        help us.
                        I am also thinking of the Pali week by week, but here helping you Yong Peng,
                        may still give you extra work, having to react, etc. And there is the word
                        of the week. But as to translation of these sentences, we ourselves could do
                        more.
                        Nina

                        This is the last translation on the Water Element:
                        "And what, Rahula, is the water element? The water element may be
                        internal or external. And what, Rahula, is the internal water
                        element? That, internally, and individually, is liquid, liquefied,
                        and clung to, namely: bile, phlegm, pus, blood, sweat, fat, tears,
                        tallow, saliva, snot, synovia, urine, or whatever else internally,
                        and individually, is liquid, liquefied, and clung to. This, Rahula,
                        is called the internal water element. But that very internal water
                        element and that external water element are simply water element.
                        Thus "this is not mine, this I am not, this is not myself" is to be
                        seen with right wisdom just as it is. Having seen this with right
                        wisdom just as it is, the mind is detached from and becomes
                        dispassionate towards the water element.

                        117. ``katamaa ca, raahula, vaayodhaatu?
                        /what\ |and| | element of wind|
                        And what, Rahula, is the wind element?

                        vaayodhaatu siyaa ajjhattikaa, siyaa baahiraa.
                        /internal\ /external\
                        The wind element may be internal or external.

                        katamaa ca, raahula, ajjhattikaa vaayodhaatu?
                        And what, Rahula, is the internal wind element?

                        ya.m ajjhatta.m paccatta.m vaayo vaayogata.m upaadinna.m,
                        /what\| internal||individual| |wind| |windy| |clung to|
                        That, internally, and individually, is wind, windy, and clung to.

                        (Who is next? I like to be corrected. Note: wind or motion, it has the
                        characteristic of motion or pressure.)

                        seyyathida.m -- uddha"ngamaa vaataa,
                        adhogamaa vaataa, kucchisayaa vaataa, ko.t.thaasayaa {ko.t.thasayaa } vaataa
                        , a"ngama"ngaanusaarino vaataa, assaaso passaaso, iti ya.m vaa
                        pana~n~nampi ki~nci ajjhatta.m paccatta.m vaayo vaayogata.m upaadinna.m --
                        aya.m vuccati, raahula, ajjhattikaa vaayodhaatu. yaa ceva kho pana
                        ajjhattikaa
                        vaayodhaatu yaa ca baahiraa vaayodhaatu vaayodhaaturevesaa. ta.m `neta.m
                        mama,
                        nesohamasmi , na meso attaa'ti -- evameta.m yathaabhuuta.m sammappa~n~naaya
                        da.t.thabba.m. evameta.m yathaabhuuta.m sammappa~n~naaya disvaa
                        vaayodhaatuyaa
                        nibbindati, vaayodhaatuyaa citta.m viraajeti.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 10, 2003
                          op 06-04-2003 12:23 schreef Ong Yong Peng op ypong001@...:

                          > Nina, actually, I wanted to ask if you could do a translation (not
                          > necessary word by word) of the commentary so that I can put on
                          > Tipitaka.net. I'm glad to learn that you are already doing that. Yes,
                          > I look forward to you putting up the work here. Please do as you see
                          > fit.
                          N: Please, use anything you like for the net. I cannot upload myself, but
                          did you keep the parts in an archive?If not, I kept them in my doc. I can
                          send html attachments to others, so long as I do not receive them (Email
                          crash).
                          History: I started to translate parts from the Thai Co, then, I received the
                          Pali hard copy, and I still translated parts, added with summaries. Then Jim
                          gave me the text on line and I wanted to translate every line. I did not
                          know before I would become so involved with the text.
                          Now my question: If you like all line by line I can go back and do it after
                          I have gone to the end first. I would rather coordinate now with the sutta.
                          But I like to conform to your ideas about it.
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 11, 2003
                            Dear Nina and friends,

                            thanks a lot, Nina, you are the only person replying to this mail.
                            But nevertheless, thanks very much too for everyone on the list for
                            the lively discussion of other topics.

                            Nina, I would love to hear your idea of Pali week by week. However, I
                            can't commit too much, not until I graduate from my undergraduate
                            study in November.

                            I am currently working on some enhancements to the site, as well as
                            planning to put back a forum. Although Dimitry has suggested to join
                            an existing forum, but I think in the long run, the site will need
                            its own forum. I have removed the last Yabb forum due to web space
                            constraints, now I am contemplating on something other than Yabb.

                            As for sutta translation, I really appreciate your kind contribution.
                            May I suggest that we each do just one paragraph per month. In that
                            case, it will be something like one paragraph every two weeks,
                            allowing for discussion in between, as well as some time for me to
                            compile and put them online. What do you think?

                            metta,
                            Yong Peng

                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 13, 2003
                              op 11-04-2003 13:12 schreef Ong Yong Peng op ypong001@...

                              > Nina, I would love to hear your idea of Pali week by week. However, I
                              > can't commit too much, not until I graduate from my undergraduate
                              > study in November.
                              N: I understand the study is heavy for you. One sentence is also fine, I am
                              happy with anything. Will it help you if you just prepare, but leave more
                              work to us translating? I have the books for reference, no problem. I want
                              my daily Pali tr. anyway, so I do not mind what it is.
                              As to sutta: I like everybody just to see it as pleasure, not as duty. It is
                              difficult to organize rotating on a list. Say, if I jump to it, someone else
                              may jump at it at the same time. I enjoy teamwork more, but if this is
                              difficult to organize I can do more if you like. Maybe some more later next
                              week, I have some family duties first.
                              Y: I am currently working on some enhancements to the site, as well as
                              > planning to put back a forum. Although Dimitry has suggested to join
                              > an existing forum, but I think in the long run, the site will need
                              > its own forum.
                              N: This will be very hard work and it means more mails. We are already so
                              busy here, I feel, with the texts. I do not know what to say about it.
                              Y: As for sutta translation, I really appreciate your kind contribution.
                              > May I suggest that we each do just one paragraph per month. In that
                              > case, it will be something like one paragraph every two weeks,
                              > allowing for discussion in between, as well as some time for me to
                              > compile and put them online. What do you think?
                              N: is a para a sentence, or three lines? Anything you suggest. No problem.
                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 14, 2003
                                Dear Nina and friends,

                                thanks for your understanding and your generous offer to help on Pali
                                Word by Word. However, I think it is not quite fair if I were to just
                                put the sentence and leave it for others to work out the translation.
                                I would like to make the first attempt, and then invite everyone to
                                look through and help up on the difficult parts.

                                For sutta translation, yes, please put up more as your time permit.
                                And, yes, sutta translation is a voluntary work (of high regard), but
                                certainly family and individual matters do take precedence. It is
                                actually fine whether it is one paragraph or one sentence. Although
                                one paragraph is appropriate for most of the time, sometimes a
                                difficult sentence is enough to start a good discussion.

                                For the forum, it will function separately from this mailing list. A
                                survey of current online Buddhist activites shows that there are a
                                good number of active forums and mailing lists. So, having another
                                one might seems sort of redundant, and therefore a waste of resource
                                to build and maintain. Therefore, my plan for rebuilding the forum
                                will be a slow process. Though separate, it will have to integrate
                                into what Tipitaka.net is having currently. An active forum, as I
                                perceive, is necessary to make Tipitaka.net an online community,
                                though that is yet to be proven. :-)

                                metta,
                                Yong Peng

                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 18, 2003
                                  Dear Nina and friends,

                                  thanks. It will be great if you can provide a line by line English
                                  translation of MN62 comm. although the simplified summary form that
                                  you are currently doing is just as great. I am sure there are many
                                  people, including myself, who would like to see such a line by line
                                  comm.. I appreciate your generous participation and assistance, and I
                                  shall respect your decision on how to go about doing it.

                                  metta,
                                  Yong Peng

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 18, 2003
                                    I am glad you put the sutta tr. together, I felt somewhat clumsy with the
                                    trilineair.
                                    As to comm. I have done in the last sets, no 6-8, a litteral tr, but I have
                                    done it in groups of two or more sentences. Now I shall change to one
                                    sentence, or, do you prefer one line? A problem: how to break apart a whole
                                    sentence? One sentence may be three lines.
                                    I would rather not do a trilineair, because I have noticed with the sutta
                                    that this takes a lot of time.
                                    As I said, afterwards I can go back to the beginning and do line by line, do
                                    also those parts I had not translated, only summarized.
                                    Nina
                                    op 18-04-2003 18:05 schreef Ong Yong Peng op ypong001@...

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 19, 2003
                                      Dear Nina and friends,

                                      thanks. It may be possible to break a sentence if there is a logical
                                      pause, usually indicated by a comma. I can't say to have a preference
                                      in that aspect, but for trilinear, I prefer to keep sentences apart
                                      from each other. Long sentences can be broken into several parts.

                                      metta,
                                      Yong Peng