Re: [Pali] paatimokkha.

  • nina van gorkom
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2003
      op 02-04-2003 09:48 schreef Rene Salm op rsalm@...:

      > The paatimokkha is briefly mentioned in par. 42. (“He adopts and trains
      > himself in the paatimokkha.”) Are we
      > to assume that this implies ordination and involvement of the sangha? Or
      > does bhikkhu here just mean
      Nina: I think so. I have some texts on paatimokkha:
      There are two kinds of Paatimokkha: the Ovaada-paatimokkha and the
      aa.naa-paatimokkha. The Ovaada-paatimokkha, the exhortation to the
      Paatimokkha, is an important principle of teaching or instruction. The
      aa.naa-paatimokkha are the rules of the Vinaya which are an important
      foundation to be applied by the monks in their conduct.
      We read in the Suma"ngalavilaasinii, the Co to the Mahaapadaana Sutta,
      Dialogues of the Buddha II, no. XIV):
      <The word ³paatimokkhe²(according to the paatimokkha) means, it liberates
      completely, that is, the highest síla; it guards in a supreme way, namely,
      it guards happy states; it liberates from danger, the danger of an unhappy
      destination. Or it guards happy states and liberates from unhappy states.
      Therefore, this síla is called paatimokkha.>

      Paati means to guard or protect, and mokkheti means to liberate.