Addendum and correction

  • Rene Salm
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2 1:30 AM
      I wrote:

      He becomes homeless (anagaariya.m) and therefore in sec. 42 is now
      referred to as a samaa.no (recluse). But he is a samaa.no only in this
      short paragraph. At the beginning of 43 he is bhikkhu.

      ---------
      I must make a correction here: samaa.no (being, existing) is not the
      same as sama.no (recluse). So we have no reference to the recluse in 42
      (even though RD uses 'recluse' here not once, but twice!-- very
      confusing...) Sorry!

      A related word is saama~n~no (as in the sutta's title) which means
      "sama.naship, striving to be a sama.na" (PTSD)

      --------
      But the main question remains: how does the pabbajito of 41 become the
      bhikkhu of 43?

      As regards the word paatimokkha, one original meaning is 'binding,
      obligatory.' Maybe in 42 it has no reference to the codified rules of
      the sangha?

      -- Rene