Introduction

  • Y Win
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 3, 2001
      Hi everyone

      I am sending this email message to introduce myself.

      I am a young buddhist who have recently become
      interested in learning Pali, so that I may understand
      the Theravada Buddhist Texts on reading them.

      I have therefore joined this discussion group as I
      believe that the group will, firstly get me started in
      learing Pali, and secondly give me opportunities to
      improve my skills in this subject, once I have grasped
      the basics.

      As I am new in learning Pali, I would very much
      appreciate it if you would kindly let me know of the
      books and websites that I should be using to learn
      Pali. Thanking you in anticipation.

      Yours faithfully

      Yamin

      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 3, 2001
        Welcome aboard, Yawin!

        You might like to start by checking out www.accesstoinsight.org/pali/index.html and
        look up John Bullitt's A Guide to Learning the Pali Language.

        If you have questions on basic Buddhism, you could ask me at www.dharma.per.sg.

        The webmaster Yong Peng will contact you in due ocurse.

        Piya.

          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 29, 2001
            1. Are you a Buddhist? If not, what makes you interested in Theravada
            Buddhism?
            2. Are you learning/teaching the Pali language? If yes, what do you
            think are the common difficulties faced by students?
            3. Do you read and study the suttas, or other Tipitaka/Pali literature
            (such as Abhidhamma, Vinaya)?
            4. Do you use any tools/guidebooks in your study of the Pali canon, or
            do you apply any methods in your study?
            5. Do you meditate regularly? If you do, where do you learn/practise and
            what are the methods that you use?
            6. Were/Are you involved in any translation works of the Tipitaka? Are
            you interested in such works?

            --------

            Namo Buddhaya...

            My name is Gunasaro Fang, I was born in a very small town cold Ketapang,
            West Borneo (Indonesia).
            Our family's faith background was Taoism, as mostly Chinese in our
            hometown (the rest were Catholic).
            But ever since the Maitreya (Taiwan) & Nichiren Syoshu (Japan) Sects
            arrived there; not only the Chinese turned their Taoism, but also the
            native tribe (Dayak) turned their Catholic.
            I started to join to the Maitreya when I was at the final class in my
            Elementary School (Catholics)... until I was at my 4th semester in the
            university.
            Since that, I was in such circumstance learning Theravada Buddhism with
            one of my colleagues.

            --------

            1.. Yes, I'm a Theravada Buddhism
            2.. No, I'm not learning Pali
            3.. Yes, I started to learn Theravada Buddhism by reading Sutta
            Pitaka, but in Indonesian of course
            4.. No, I don't learn Pali
            5.. No, I don't, & I consider it as the most stupid attitude I've ever
            had as a Buddhist
            6.. No, I'm not... but soon we'll get into that part. As we are
            establishing an organisation, which one of its struggles is: translating
            The Tipitaka (from English into Indonesian)

            --------

            Thanking so much for the attention...

            Sukhi Hotu,
            Gunasaro

          • Kumaara Bhikkhu
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 30, 2001
              At 12:19 AM 30-10-01, Gunasaro Fang wrote:
              > 6.. No, I'm not... but soon we'll get into that part. As we are
              >establishing an organisation, which one of its struggles is: translating
              >The Tipitaka (from English into Indonesian)

              That's quite a Herculean task but nonetheless worthy. I've a few suggestion that you might like to consider:

              1. It's best if you could translate straight from Pali (instead of from English). You probably already know there are quite a number of words that are similar between Pali and Indonesian.

              Have you tried locating Indonesians (perhaps monks) who may have studied Pali in places like Sri Lanka or even a distant learning course offered by Buddhist and Pali University (like what we have there in Malaysia)?

              2. If that's impossible, I'd advise that you do not translate by using only the PTS version, especially the Vinaya Pitaka, which was done at a time when knowledge of Pali and of the Dhammavinaya in the English-speaking world was still rather limited. (Anyone knows of any attempt to produce a new translation of the VP?) Try get a few English translation (including Ven. Bodhi's).

              Good luck.

              peace

              Ven Kumaara
            • Kumaara Bhikkhu
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 7, 2001
                Let me answer the questions as well.

                >1. Are you a Buddhist? If not, what makes you interested in Theravada
                >Buddhism?

                Yes, I am.

                >2. Are you learning/teaching the Pali language? If yes, what do you
                >think are the common difficulties faced by students?

                I'm learning Pali, with the help of my teacher, Ven. Aggacitta, and some books. I've completed "Pali Primer" by Lily de Silva. Now, I'm going through chapters in Ven. Narada's "An Elementary Pali Course" which contains items not covered by "Pali Primer". I occasionally refer to Duroiselle's "A Practical Grammar of the Pali Language".

                Common difficulties:
                1. no satisfactory guide books. (That's what I hear Pali teachers say.) "Pali Primer" has a very well-sequenced syllabus, but is rather poor in choice of vocabulary and sentence examples. Where Pali Primer is poor at, Ven. Narada's book is much better. It even has sentences from the Pali text, which is quite inspiring to learners who learn Pali to gain direct access to the Pali scriptures (which I believe is the prime reason). However, it is not so learner-friendly like Pali Primer. They all require the help of a suitably qualified teacher.
                2. lack of suitably qualified teachers.

                >3. Do you read and study the suttas, or other Tipitaka/Pali literature
                >(such as Abhidhamma, Vinaya)?

                Just the Suttas in the Vinaya. Not touching Abhidhamma for the time being. As my knowledge in Pali is still elementary, I read them almost entirely in English. I do however occasionally compare translations with the Pali source (and dictionary) at hand, when preparing a talk.

                >4. Do you use any tools/guidebooks in your study of the Pali canon, or
                >do you apply any methods in your study?

                I don't quite understand this question. Can you give some examples?

                If you mean something like memorizing formulas like how the Burmese do it, no. (I've a big problem with memorization.)

                >5. Do you meditate regularly? If you do, where do you learn/practise and
                >what are the methods that you use?

                I try to do some sitting in the morning. But sometimes I don't, especially when I somehow need more sleep, or when the weather is cold and it's so cozy under my blanket that I just have to forgive myself. I do try to maintain mindfulness throughout the day, though, especially when I go for pindapata.

                I started of with a week-long Vipassana meditation retreat at Santisukharama (Kota Tinggi, Johor, Malaysia). It's of the Mahasi method, under the guidance of Ven. Sujiva (Malaysian), who's now mostly in European countries. That's how I really got into this Buddhist thing, by the way. Last year when I went to Burma, I found another method, thought by Shwe Oo Min Sayadaw, which seems to suit my temperament better. It almost identical to the Mahasi, except a few points:
                1. It emphasizes more on the mind, rather than the body.
                2. Labelling is discouraged.
                3. No fixed reporting method, as required in Panditarama. Be free to covey your experience in the way that suits you. If the teacher needs to know more, he'll ask.
                4. No super slow movement, as required in Chammyay. Move at a calm, natural speed.

                >6. Were/Are you involved in any translation works of the Tipitaka? Are
                >you interested in such works?

                No. I do feel that more work needs to be done though. I think the Vinaya scriptures are especially neglected. Would be happy to hear of any attempts on a new translation of the Vinaya Pitaka. The Vinayasangaha also deserves an English translation.

                peace

                Ven Kumaara Bhikkhu
                Sasanarakkha Buddhist Sanctuary <http://www.sasanarakkha.org>
                Shaping the future of Malaysian Theravada Buddhism....

              • Dimitry Ivakhnenko (������� ���������)
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 8, 2001
                  Dear Bhante Kumaara,

                  KB> I started of with a week-long Vipassana meditation retreat at
                  KB> Santisukharama (Kota Tinggi, Johor, Malaysia). It's of the Mahasi
                  KB> method, under the guidance of Ven. Sujiva (Malaysian), who's now
                  KB> mostly in European countries. That's how I really got into this
                  KB> Buddhist thing, by the way. Last year when I went to Burma, I
                  KB> found another method, thought by Shwe Oo Min Sayadaw, which seems
                  KB> to suit my temperament better. It almost identical to the Mahasi,
                  KB> except a few points:
                  KB> 1. It emphasizes more on the mind, rather than the body.
                  KB> 2. Labelling is discouraged.
                  KB> 3. No fixed reporting method, as required in Panditarama. Be free
                  KB> to covey your experience in the way that suits you. If the teacher
                  KB> needs to know more, he'll ask.
                  KB> 4. No super slow movement, as required in Chammyay. Move at a
                  KB> calm, natural speed.

                  Is there any text with the description of this method? Looking for
                  works of Shwe Oo Min Sayadaw on the Internet, I found only his picture
                  at the Mahasi Sayadaw website in Burma.

                  In fact Satipatthana sutta instructs rather to discern (jaanaati) 'I
                  am going', etc., than to label the action.

                  I would be very grateful for any information in this area.

                  Mettena cittena,
                  Dimitry
                • Kumaara Bhikkhu
                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 10, 2001
                    At 08:11 PM 08-11-01, Dimitry Ivakhnenko (äÍÉÔÒÉÊ é×ÁÈÎÅÎËÏ) wrote:
                    >Dear Bhante Kumaara,
                    >
                    >KB> I started of with a week-long Vipassana meditation retreat at
                    >KB> Santisukharama (Kota Tinggi, Johor, Malaysia). It's of the Mahasi
                    >KB> method, under the guidance of Ven. Sujiva (Malaysian), who's now
                    >KB> mostly in European countries. That's how I really got into this
                    >KB> Buddhist thing, by the way. Last year when I went to Burma, I
                    >KB> found another method, thought by Shwe Oo Min Sayadaw, which seems
                    >KB> to suit my temperament better. It almost identical to the Mahasi,
                    >KB> except a few points:
                    >KB> 1. It emphasizes more on the mind, rather than the body.
                    >KB> 2. Labelling is discouraged.
                    >KB> 3. No fixed reporting method, as required in Panditarama. Be free
                    >KB> to covey your experience in the way that suits you. If the teacher
                    >KB> needs to know more, he'll ask.
                    >KB> 4. No super slow movement, as required in Chammyay. Move at a
                    >KB> calm, natural speed.
                    >
                    >Is there any text with the description of this method? Looking for
                    >works of Shwe Oo Min Sayadaw on the Internet, I found only his picture
                    >at the Mahasi Sayadaw website in Burma.

                    Unfortunately, I do not know of any.

                    I did ask when I was there if there were anything of that sort. Usually, in Myanmar, written instructions comes from transcribed talks. The teacher in charge of foreigners himself (Sayadaw U Tezaniya) does not give any talks (although he would occasionally go in lengths to explain certain points during interviews). So, nothing written. Somehow, that's how the Sayadaws there prefer it.

                    It's actually not too different from the Mahasi method. Besides the points mentioned above, there's little difference. (I forgot to include that they ask that you practice mindfulness as you speak, just as it is stated in the Satipa.t.thaana Sutta.)

                    If you wish to know more, the best way is to go there. If you're willing to settle for less, you can ask me.

                    >In fact Satipatthana sutta instructs rather to discern (jaanaati) 'I
                    >am going', etc., than to label the action.

                    There's no doubt about that.

                    The Mahasi way recommends labelling only for those at the beginning of the retreat. It seems that it's a useful tool for many people to who have too restless a mind. The labelling helps them to anchor their minds on the meditation objects.

                    In response to a question by an American (I think), Sayadaw U Pandita, who's the successor to Mahasi Sayadaw, says that when one reaches the fourth insight (udayabbaya ñaana), one should not continue labelling.

                  • Hana Rubens
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 10, 2004
                      Dear Friends,

                      Greetings. I wish to introduce myself as a new subscriber to the Pali group. My name is Hana and I have been practicing meditation in various Buddhist traditions since 1983. In 1999 I took Upasika precepts and am currently considering taking Atta Sila Precepts. I relocated to the Chicago area in 2003 and as yet have not found a Temple to practice in. Currently I am teaching half time and doing some translation work (Chinese and Japanese languages.) I have had the opportunity to do some Sutta study in Mandarin and have been studying Pali by myself. I can read and chant from the romanized script.
                      Most of my experience with the Sangha has been with Sri Lankan Bikkhus and here in Illinois there is more of a Thai community (and so I have been hesitant about where to go.) I hope to benefit from the teaching and resources available on this site and will contribute as I am able. Thank you for your kind greeting of welcome.

                      Metta,
                      Hana Rubens

                    • nina van gorkom
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 11, 2004
                        Dear Hana,
                        welcome to this list.
                        I hope you find the exercises we are doing here useful.
                        Success with your study,
                        Nina.

                      • macdocaz1@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 12, 2004
                          Hello Hana, it is indeed a pleasure to be able to communicate with someone on
                          Buddhism with as much background as you have. Since you say you haven't
                          found a center in your area, you may like to know that I have been working on a
                          database of North American Buddhist centers. I have posted a list of 85
                          Buddhist centers in Illinois on a website I use for communicating to the Southwest
                          sangha. The database is in PDF format and should be very easy to use. The file
                          is called "IL Dharma Centers.pdf" and you will find it at this URL:

                          I am presently working on exporting the database into a form that is usable
                          by people, so if anyone would like a list of Buddhist centers in their region
                          or city, just ask, and I will output it as soon as I can.

                          Best regards,

                          Jeff Brooks

                          << Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 08:15:30 -0800 (PST)
                          From: Hana Rubens <hanarubens@...>
                          Subject: Introduction

[...]

                        • Marj Cannon/Hugh Moore
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 28, 2005
                            Hi,

                            I joined the group today after learning about it on the Access to Insight
                            web site. I am especially interested in Vipassana meditation and in the
                            Abhidhamma. I hope to eventually gain enough of a reading knowledge of Pali
                            to be able to read some of the Abhidhamma texts - especially commentaries -
                            that are in Roman script.

                            Metta,
                            -Hugh

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 30, 2005
                              Hi Hugh,
                              Welcome. I am also very interested in Abhidhamma and its commentaries. Let
                              us share this interest,
                              Nina.
                              op 29-07-2005 06:15 schreef Marj Cannon/Hugh Moore op marj-hugh@...:

                              > I joined the group today after learning about it on the Access to Insight
                              > web site. I am especially interested in Vipassana meditation and in the
                              > Abhidhamma. I hope to eventually gain enough of a reading knowledge of Pali
                              > to be able to read some of the Abhidhamma texts - especially commentaries -
                              > that are in Roman script.
                            • junet9876
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 2, 2005
                                Hi!

                                I have the same interest! But I'm also very interested in the Suttas!

                                It'll probably take some time though. Pali is one of the most
                                difficult languages I've come across (and I've come across Thai,
                                Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, German--though I've forgotten them all).

                                But I think lots of reading is the key.

                                June

                                --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@x> wrote:
                                > Hi Hugh,
                                > Welcome. I am also very interested in Abhidhamma and its
                                commentaries. Let
                                > us share this interest,
                                > Nina.
                                > op 29-07-2005 06:15 schreef Marj Cannon/Hugh Moore op marj-hugh@c...:
                                >
                                > > I joined the group today after learning about it on the Access to
                                Insight
                                > > web site. I am especially interested in Vipassana meditation and
                                in the
                                > > Abhidhamma. I hope to eventually gain enough of a reading
                                knowledge of Pali
                                > > to be able to read some of the Abhidhamma texts - especially
                                commentaries -
                                > > that are in Roman script.
                              • George Schneider at home
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 21, 2006
                                  Hi,

                                  I've just joined the group, and the moderator suggested I introduce myself. I'm George Schneider,
                                  and I live in Sierra Vista, Arizona, USA. I've been studying Buddhism for about 10 years. I've
                                  found a wonderful meditation teacher who uses Pali terms, so I'd like to learn Pali.

                                  Thank you all for creating this group.

                                  George

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                • anicchavatsankharo
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jun 8, 2007
                                    Dear Sir, I am gauri shanker sharma from Lucknow, India. I am in love
                                    with Pali and Tipitaka. Kindly do share your Pali knowledge with me.
                                    I do not know much Pali. I would do my best to learn it. With metta
                                    and regards. Yours faithfully, g.s. sharma
                                  • josesiem
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 23, 2008
                                      Hi all,
                                      I just joined the group. I'm living in Seoul, Korea now teaching
                                      English. I want to start learning Pali. My interest in Pali stems from
                                      my interest and practice of Buddhism. I plan on ordering a couple of
                                      books and to start studying.

                                      I'd like to take a Pali course. Anyone know of any this summer? I've
                                      been scouring the internet, but I haven't found anything yet.

                                      Thanks.
                                      Joseph
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 26, 2008
                                        Hello Joseph. Welcome to the group. It is nice to hear from someone in
                                        Korea. Generally, in East Asia, most Buddhists practise Mahayana
                                        Buddhism. However, there are still some locals and foreigners
                                        practising Theravada Buddhism. There is also monastic and academic
                                        interest in Pali Tipitaka and literature, for a whole list of reasons. ;-)

                                        I can't read Hangul, which makes it hard to help you. But, you can try
                                        this site to start with: http://www.ripl.or.kr/

                                        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, josesiem wrote:

                                        I just joined the group. I'm living in Seoul, Korea now teaching
                                        English. I want to start learning Pali. My interest in Pali stems from
                                        my interest and practice of Buddhism. I plan on ordering a couple of
                                        books and to start studying.

                                        I'd like to take a Pali course. Anyone know of any this summer? I've
                                        been scouring the internet, but I haven't found anything yet.
                                      • lucdelannoy
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Oct 10, 2009
                                          Hello,
                                          My name is Luc; I am new here. I am a writer and philospher from Brussels, Belgium; currently live and teach in Mexico. My interests are human perception, the Abhidhamma and commentaries (in particular the 7th book, Patthana) Glad to be around and hope to learn from you all.
                                          Luc
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Oct 11, 2009
                                            Dear Luc,
                                            welcome here. I do not know whether you have visited the homepage.Put
                                            cursor on the left side of the green bar on top, and here is all the
                                            info, grammars, exercises.
                                            Yong Peng posts Buddhadatta exercises here and if there is anything
                                            as to grammar, do ask.
                                            Questions are useful both for the person who asks and the person who
                                            answers.
                                            Patthaana means a lot for me, to be applied in our daily life.
                                            What do you teach?
                                            Nina.
                                            Op 11-okt-2009, om 3:38 heeft lucdelannoy het volgende geschreven:

                                            > My name is Luc; I am new here. I am a writer and philospher from
                                            > Brussels, Belgium; currently live and teach in Mexico. My interests
                                            > are human perception, the Abhidhamma and commentaries (in
                                            > particular the 7th book, Patthana) Glad to be around and hope to
                                            > learn from you all.

                                          • Luc Delannoy
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Oct 21, 2009
                                              Nina

                                              Thanks for writing. I teach philosophy and neuroaesthetics. I'm glad I found this group !
                                              Be well

                                              Luc

                                              www.lucdelannoy.com

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Oct 22, 2009
                                                Dear Luc,
                                                I do not know whether you may find helpful the intro to the Patthaana
                                                I wrote. It is online in <http://www.abhidhamma.org/Patthana%201.htm
                                                > and Zolag, <http://www.zolag.co.uk/ > . It will be printed end of
                                                the year and if you are interested I like to send it as a free book.
                                                Just give your postal address off line.
                                                Nina.
                                                Op 21-okt-2009, om 17:05 heeft Luc Delannoy het volgende geschreven: