Looking for the source

  • Dimitry Ivakhnenko
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 3, 2001
      Hi Pali friends,

      I have read somewhere that after first nins have been ordained and
      bhikkhuni (nuns) sangha has been established, Buddha told that his
      teaching would now be preserved not for 1000, but for 500 years.

      Can anyone please tell where this sutta can be found?

      Metta,
      Dimitry
    • Bruce Burrill
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 3, 2001
        Vin. Cv Kh. 10; AN VII 51. And in the commentaries to these texts, it
        states that the Dhamma will last five
        thousand years rather than five hundred. Sp 1291. Mp IV 136f.

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 3, 2001
          Dimitry,

          The account of the inception of the Bhikkhu.nii Order is given is the Vinaya at
          Cullavagga X. The exact reference is V 2:255:

          "Since, Aananda, women have gone forth...the Holy Life will not last long, the True
          Dharma will endure for only 500 years."

          It is no fault of the women. When oil is near fire, the fire will burn on, even burn
          bigger. Then again, some fire will burn without oil, consuming other kinds of fuel.

          The Buddha conceded to Aananda's argument that women, too, can realize Sainthood, and
          as such are just as eligible as men to join the Order. This is the first and only
          case where a religious founder admits "defeat" to a follower's argument in deciding a
          major modification in his movement. It clearly shows the Buddha's human and
          compassionate side.

          P.

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 3, 2001
            Yes Bruce, the period of the Dharma-ending age gets longer in later texts. The study
            of eschatalogy is a fascinating subject with various responses and results in
            Bdudhist history, such as the rise of millennial cults.

            P.

            Bruce Burrill wrote:

            > Vin. Cv Kh. 10; AN VII 51. And in the commentaries to these texts, it
            > states that the Dhamma will last five
            > thousand years rather than five hundred. Sp 1291. Mp IV 136f.
            >
            > At 05:28 PM 8/3/01 +0300, you wrote:
            > >Hi Pali friends,
            > >
            > >I have read somewhere that after first nins have been ordained and
            > >bhikkhuni (nuns) sangha has been established, Buddha told that his
            > >teaching would now be preserved not for 1000, but for 500 years.
            > >
            > >Can anyone please tell where this sutta can be found?
            > >
            > >Metta,
            > >Dimitry

          • Derek Cameron
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 6, 2001
              Hi, Dimitry,

              According to Bhikkhu Bodhi's report on the commentary, Channa's agitation
              and annihilationist views were due to his not having done the preliminary
              steps in the right order.

              MN 107 seems to give precise instructions -- no?

              For those who don't have easy access to the texts, I'll give a summary of
              the sequential method the Buddha teaches in MN 107.

              The brahmin after whom MN 107 is named, Ga.naka Moggallaana, requests the
              Buddha's instruction on the gradual, step-by-step method of training.

              Firstly, says the Buddha, the brahmin is to practice virtuous conduct.

              Then he is to keep his sense-doors guarded -- i.e., he must not grasp at his
              sense perceptions.

              After this, he is to practice eating in moderation. Then he is to practice
              sleeping in moderation.

              Then he is to practice mindfulness while walking, eating, etc. -- in other
              words, everyday practice, and NOT sit-down mindfulness practice of the
              Satipa.t.thaana Sutta.

              Once mindfulness is established, he sits down for formal samaadhi
              meditation.

              He begins by working on abandoning the five hindrances.

              And only then does he enter the jhaana-s -- in order, of course.

              In MN 61 the Buddha, talking to Raahula, gives more detailed instructions on
              how to work on practicing virtuous conduct.

              Is that what you want to do -- take MN 107 as a skeleton, and then flesh out
              the details from other sutta-s?

              Derek.
            • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 6, 2001
                Hi, Derek,

                DC> According to Bhikkhu Bodhi's report on the commentary, Channa's agitation
                DC> and annihilationist views were due to his not having done the preliminary
                DC> steps in the right order.

                Thank you once again for the details. Does Bhikkhu Bodhi suggest the
                right order?

                DC> MN 107 seems to give precise instructions -- no?

                Not too detailed.

                DC> For those who don't have easy access to the texts, I'll give a summary of
                DC> the sequential method the Buddha teaches in MN 107.

                By the way, it is available at
                http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/majjhima/mn107.html
                Similar sequence is described at DN 1-13
                http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/digha/dn2.html
                http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/digha/dn11.html
                http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/digha/dn12.html

                DC> Then he is to practice mindfulness while walking, eating, etc. -- in other
                DC> words, everyday practice, and NOT sit-down mindfulness practice of the
                DC> Satipa.t.thaana Sutta.

                There is much to be discussed about the differences and similarities
                between popular modern approaches and approaches described in the Tipitaka.

                DC> Is that what you want to do -- take MN 107 as a skeleton, and then flesh out
                DC> the details from other sutta-s?

                I have done something like this on 'Dhamma Wheel' Russian-language
                Theravada site http://users.iptelecom.net.ua/~koleso/dharma/ .
                However such approach is a bit artificial and involves the whole
                Tipitaka.

                The live thread of gradual Rahula's training has a natural integrity,
                and Buddha's advices to his son are amazingly clear and deep. Thus the
                whole Rahula's path is very inspirational and inviting to walk it out.

                Other descriptions of the path can serve to determine the original
                sequence of Buddha's advices to Rahula, and arrange them in the proper
                order. Though commentaries also have much to say about the age of
                Rahula when he was given particular advice. For example, I have read
                that MN 61 Ambalatthikarahulovada Sutta
                http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/majjhima/mn61.html
                was given to Rahula when he was seven years old.

                'Oral revelation' is also included in this sequence at MN 147
                Cuularaahulovaada sutta.m with a translation at
                http://www.metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/2Majjhima-Nikaya/Majjhima3/147-cularahulovada-e.htm

                Such a picture of a trodden path would require a moderate amount of
                work to compose it and would serve as an inspiring real-life example.

                Dimitry
              • Derek Cameron
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 6, 2001
                  Dimitry,

                  Interesting project ... "From Father to Son: The Buddha's Training of
                  Raahula." If you can get together a minimum of 5,000 words, the Buddhist
                  Publication Society might consider publishing it (if it hasn't already been
                  done). Query Bhikkhu Bodhi, Editor, Buddhist Publication Society, 54
                  Sangharaja Mawatha, P.O. Box 61, Kady, SRI LANKA.

                  As for Channa ... Bhikkhu Bodhi writes in his note 181 on Channa, AN 22.90:

                  QUOTE

                  Atha ko carahi me attaa ["but then who is my Self?" the question that
                  occurred to Channa]

                  Spk [Saaratthappakaasinii, Sa.myutta Nikaaya-a.t.thakathaa]: It is said that
                  this elder had started to practice insight meditation without having done
                  discernment of conditions. His weak insight could not eliminate the grip of
                  self (attagaaha), and thus when formations appeared to him as empty,
                  agitation arose in him along with the annihilationist view, "I will be
                  annihilated, I will be destroyed." He saw himself falling into an abyss.

                  Discernment of conditions (paccaya-pariggaha) is a stage in the development
                  of insight in which the meditator explores the conditions of the five
                  aggregates (see Vism., chap. 19). In the proper sequence of development this
                  stage should precede investigation of the aggregates as impermanent,
                  suffering, and nonself.

                  END QUOTE

                  You can probably find the relevant passage from the commentary -- in Pali,
                  of course! -- if you visit http://www.tipitaka.org

                  Derek.
                • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 6, 2001
                    Derek and all friends,

                    DC> Interesting project ... "From Father to Son: The Buddha's Training of
                    DC> Raahula." If you can get together a minimum of 5,000 words, the Buddhist
                    DC> Publication Society might consider publishing it (if it hasn't already been
                    DC> done). Query Bhikkhu Bodhi, Editor, Buddhist Publication Society, 54
                    DC> Sangharaja Mawatha, P.O. Box 61, Kady, SRI LANKA.

                    Hey, the goal here is not to get together some amount of words or to
                    publish something on paper under some name or another.
                    Every moment of translation is a moment of living contact with those who
                    wrote the texts, a moment of learning.
                    Every moment of translation is a moment of living contact with those
                    who read the texts, a moment of conveying knowledge.

                    This project is as much open as it can be, with no limits or set
                    rules, a living exploration of Buddha's teaching, so everyone is
                    invited to make a contribution, and the result will be exactly as good
                    as wisdom, patience and lovingkindness invested in it.

                    I really enjoy the work we do here at this group, and the natural
                    expression of it is sharing goals, so that we will be able to
                    cooperate.

                    DC> Discernment of conditions (paccaya-pariggaha) is a stage in the development
                    DC> of insight in which the meditator explores the conditions of the five
                    DC> aggregates (see Vism., chap. 19). In the proper sequence of development this
                    DC> stage should precede investigation of the aggregates as impermanent,
                    DC> suffering, and nonself.

                    You know, the prerequisites described by Buddha in Meghiya sutta
                    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/khuddaka/udana/ud4-1.html
                    are much more comrehensible and practical.

                    DC> You can probably find the relevant passage from the commentary -- in Pali,
                    DC> of course! -- if you visit http://www.tipitaka.org

                    Well, thanks to Vipassana Research Institute they are included on
                    Chattha Sangayana CD that they have sent me. So there is no problem,
                    just learning this language called Pali ... :)

                    Dimitry
                  • Derek Cameron
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 6, 2001
                      Hi, Dimitry,

                      > I really enjoy the work we do here at this group, and the natural
                      > expression of it is sharing goals, so that we will be able to
                      > cooperate.

                      Yes, I enjoy the translation too, and the learning in group, but I also like
                      to share my enjoyment with others. For example, maybe John Bullitt would
                      like our AN 7.7.8 translation for his Access to Insight site?

                      > You know, the prerequisites described by Buddha in Meghiya sutta
                      > http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/khuddaka/udana/ud4-1.html
                      > are much more comrehensible and practical.

                      Well ... that's the difference between Buddhaghosa and the Sutta-s!

                      > thanks to Vipassana Research Institute they are included on
                      > Chattha Sangayana CD that they have sent me.

                      Oh, you got the CD-ROM? I was wondering how to order it, so for now I just
                      use their website.

                      Derek.
                    • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 6, 2001
                        Hi, Derek,

                        DC> Yes, I enjoy the translation too, and the learning in group, but I also like
                        DC> to share my enjoyment with others. For example, maybe John Bullitt would
                        DC> like our AN 7.7.8 translation for his Access to Insight site?

                        It would be an honor. Can someone knowledgeable check the translation
                        before release? Or is there some translation to be compared with?

                        I have been told that there is an unorthodox translation available at
                        http://www.buddhadust.org/dcforum/DCForumID5/8.html

                        and that 'torture being spoken of in the bit about the rope, is one where
                        a rope is looped around the limb, a stick is inserted in the loop and
                        twisted...not that the rope is used as a saw.'

                        On the same site there is an interesting page
                        http://www.buddhadust.org/dcforum/DCForumID1/13.html#1
                        including some alternative versions of Buddhist terms.

                        For example, 'aggikhandha' can indeed be translated as 'pile of fire'.

                        Dimitry
                      • Dimitry A. Ivakhnenko (������� ���������
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 14, 2003
                          Dear Pali friends,

                          Does anybody know where to find a sutta in which venerable Ananda talks with Buddha
                          about the powers of Tathagata, and Buddha reveals that Tathagata even
                          thinks consciously?

                          Thank you in advance,

                          Dimitry
                        • Frank Kuan
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 14, 2003
                            --- "Dimitry A. Ivakhnenko (������� ����������
                            ���������)" <koleso@...> wrote:
                            > Dear Pali friends,
                            >
                            > Does anybody know where to find a sutta in which
                            > venerable Ananda talks with Buddha
                            > about the powers of Tathagata, and Buddha reveals
                            > that Tathagata even
                            > thinks consciously?
                            >
                            > Thank you in advance,
                            >
                            > Dimitry

                            This is probably not the one you're referring to, but
                            perhaps it's grouped in the same section as this:
                            [S LI.22] Ananda: Venerable sir, does the Blessed One
                            have direct experience of going to the Brahma world by
                            means of supranormal power with a mind-made body? The
                            Buddha: Yes, Ananda...
                            Ananda: But does the Blessed One also have direct
                            experience of going to the Brahma world by means of
                            supranormal power with this very physical body,
                            composed of the four great elements?
                            The Buddha: Yes...

                            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com