Re: [Pali] anger as a meal metaphor

  • Rene Salm
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3 4:20 PM
      Hello group. I recently joined this busy list, and am content to “lurk”
      for awhile-- and learn. I’ve been studying Pali for about two years now,
      mostly on my own, with one summer in Sri Lanka.

      The citation John asks about is from the first book of the Samyutta
      (Sagaathaavagga), chapter 7, 1 2 (Alternately, SN 161-2. Cf. Bodhi
      English edition, vol. 1 p.255f.)
      The following, however, is from the PTS translation:

      “Now the so-called ‘Reviler’ ... heard that the head of his clan had
      left society to enter the order of Gautama the Recluse. Vexed and
      displeased, he sought the presence of the [Buddha], and there reviled
      and abused the Exalted One with rude and harsh speech. When he had thus
      spoken, the Buddha said: ‘Do you, Brahmin, receive visits from friends
      and colleagues, from your kin by blood or by marriage, from guests?’
      ‘Yes, Master Gautama, sometimes I do.’ ‘But if they do not accept [your
      hospitality], Brahmin, to whom do those things go?’ ‘If they do not
      accept, Master Gautama, those things go back to us.’ ‘Even so, Brahmin.
      That wherewith you revile us who revile not, that we do not accept at
      your hands. It is for you only!... It is as if you and your visitors
      dined together and made good. We neither dine together with you nor make
      good. It is for you only Brahmin! It is only for you!’”