anger as a meal metaphor

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3 1:03 PM
      Dear Pali friends,
      I have a question. Where does the following metaphor
      appear in the Pali canon?
      "A man comes to the Buddha and spews anger at him.
      The Buddha asks
      him, "If one prepares a meal for a guest, but the
      guest declines to eat
      it, to whom does the food belong?" The man replies,
      "Well, to the
      host, of course." The Buddha then concludes, "Just so
      it is with
      anger. If it is not received, then it is belongs only
      to the
      offerer."

      Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

      John

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • Rene Salm
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3 4:20 PM
        Hello group. I recently joined this busy list, and am content to “lurk”
        for awhile-- and learn. I’ve been studying Pali for about two years now,
        mostly on my own, with one summer in Sri Lanka.

        The citation John asks about is from the first book of the Samyutta
        (Sagaathaavagga), chapter 7, 1 2 (Alternately, SN 161-2. Cf. Bodhi
        English edition, vol. 1 p.255f.)
        The following, however, is from the PTS translation:

        “Now the so-called ‘Reviler’ ... heard that the head of his clan had
        left society to enter the order of Gautama the Recluse. Vexed and
        displeased, he sought the presence of the [Buddha], and there reviled
        and abused the Exalted One with rude and harsh speech. When he had thus
        spoken, the Buddha said: ‘Do you, Brahmin, receive visits from friends
        and colleagues, from your kin by blood or by marriage, from guests?’
        ‘Yes, Master Gautama, sometimes I do.’ ‘But if they do not accept [your
        hospitality], Brahmin, to whom do those things go?’ ‘If they do not
        accept, Master Gautama, those things go back to us.’ ‘Even so, Brahmin.
        That wherewith you revile us who revile not, that we do not accept at
        your hands. It is for you only!... It is as if you and your visitors
        dined together and made good. We neither dine together with you nor make
        good. It is for you only Brahmin! It is only for you!’”