Pali Day by Day 03/03/2003 [A033]
- Pali Primer Exercise 3
Translate into English
15. Braahma.no puttena saha suriya.m vandati.
brahmin / with son / with / sun / worships
- The brahmin worships the sun with (his) son.
- Together with his son the Brahmin worships the sun.
16. Kassako so.nehi saddhi.m rukkhe rakkhati.
farmer / with dogs / with / trees / protects
The farmer protects the trees with the dogs.
17. Sugato saavakehi saha vihaara.m aagacchati.
Buddha / with disciples / with / (to) monastery / comes
Buddha comes to the monastery with (his) disciples.
- Hello Jayarava and friends,
In Norman's translation of the Dhammapada, in his note for v.259, he directs the reader's attention to verses 8, 128, 168, 172 and 177, where there is the same consonant doubling of p before na as in v.259 (pamajjati to nappamajjati) after what he calls the 'proclitic' use of na. So the formation seems to be a regular phonological feature in Pali.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]