Re: Pali Word by Word 2003/09 [003]

  • Ong Yong Peng <ypong001@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 251 , Mar 2, 2003
      Dear Dimitry and friends,

      thanks a lot, I had misunderstood Warder's. Now, it should be:

      Related words
      1. tv eva = tu + eva: however (PED tu);
      2. t'eva = ti + eva: "indeed", definitely;
      3. kin ti - how, how then (PED kin).

      [note: if you have problem searching "iti" on PED site, search
      for "itara" instead, and click on "itara 2". Although I have
      encountered similar problem with other words before, it only occurs
      to me now what has gone wrong. I guess this is because the word
      entry for "iti" runs over from page 118 to page 119, and so the
      indexing software include it under 'itara 2".]

      metta,
      Yong Peng

      Message 251 of 251 , Mar 31, 2004
        Dear Nina and friends,

        thanks for that, Nina.

        metta,
        Yong Peng

        > would you tell us roughly what the comparison is about? Thanks
        again.
        > what in comparison, lord, can these five hundred carts do... etc.
        > Wheel 67-69: What, O lord, are five hundred carts- nay six, seven...
        > etc...compared with this?
        N:
        28: Now what think you Pukusa, which is the more difficult thing to
        do or to meet with - that a man, being conscious and awake, should
        neither see , nor hear the sound of five hundred cars passing by...or
        that a man, being conscious and awake, should neither see, nor hear
        the sound thereof when the falling rain goes on beating splashing,
        and the lightnings are flashing forth, and the thunderbolts are
        crashing?

        We read, <Then, Pukkusa, the thought occurred to that man:- "How
        wonderful a thing it is, and marvellous, that those who have gone
        forth out of the world should pass their time in a state of mind so
        calm!-...">

        Thus, it is more difficult not to hear the sound of rain and thunder,
        but this occurs when a high degree of calm is reached.