Pali Word by Word 2003/09 [003]

  • Ong Yong Peng <ypong001@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 251 , Mar 1, 2003
      Dear friends,

      the word for this week is ti.

      From Warder (pp.35-36), the indeclinable ti means "end quote" and
      stands at the end of any passage in direct speech. It is used also
      to mark something thought. Anything quoted, whether a line of verse
      or a single word, is marked in the same way.

      This indeclinable sometimes appears in a fuller form: iti, which is
      emphatic and may generally be translated "this", "that", "thus". it
      may refer to a statement from a distance instead of marking the end
      of the actual words.

      The two forms may be used together for emphasis.

      Related word:
      1. tv eva (or t'eva) - ti + eva = end quote +
      emphasis: "indeed", "definitely"

      After some valuable suggestions from Dimitry, I have again refined
      the approach for this thread.

      Of the five sentences, three will be in prose from Digha Nikaya. I
      have chosen DN2 (Sama~n~naphala Sutta), DN22 (Mahasatipatthana
      Sutta) and DN31 (Sigalovada Sutta) to be the permanent texts we used
      for the sentence examples. There are multiple English translations
      available online from ATI and Metta-Net for these suttas. One
      important benefit of fixing with three suttas, as I have realised,
      is we can print/photocopy out a hardcopy of the three, and keep them
      separate just for this thread.

      The remaining two will be verses from the Dhammapada, one of the
      most widely read Pali text. Another reason for choosing it is
      because there is already a well-organised study of these verses in
      Pali and are made available by Dimitry here:
      http://users.i.com.ua/~sangha/dharma/in/dhp.zip

      Hopefully, this new arrangement is better for everyone. Of course,
      in the event that I am unable to get relevant sentences from the
      above-mentioned texts, I will switch to the other suttas in Digha
      Nikaya.

      The five sentences this week are:

      (1) DN2 Sama~n~naphala Sutta para.164 [PTS1.52]
      "Tena hi, mahaaraaja, bhaasassuu"ti.
      now / O king / speak
      "Now, O king, speak!"

      tena hi - now!;
      bhaasassu - speak! (bhaasati imper.pres.2nd sg.).

      (2) DN22 Mahasatipatthana Sutta para.372 [PTS2.290]
      Tatra kho bhagavaa bhikkhuu aamantesi - "bhikkhavo"ti.
      there / - / the Blessed One / monks / addressed / O monks
      There, the Blessed One addressed the monks, "O monks."

      kho - [emphatic];
      bhikkhuu - monks (nom.pl.);
      aamantesi - to call, address (aamanteti aor.);
      bhikkhavo - monks (voc.pl.).

      (3) DN31 Sigalovada Sutta para.245 [PTS3.181]
      Imassa cattaaro kammakilesaa pahiinaa hontii"ti.
      these / four / vices / eradicated / are
      "Â…These four vices are eradicated."

      kammakilesa - kamma (action, deed) + kilesa (lust, impurity): action
      of defilement, vice;
      pahiina - eradicated, eliminated, destroyed (pajahati p.p.);
      ???I am not sure why the word is "pahiinaa" instead of "pahiina". Is
      it due to sandhi?
      honti - verb to be (bhavati 3rd pl.).

      (4) Dhammapada 181
      pu~n~na.m me katan ti nandati bhiyyo nandati sugati.m gato
      good deed / by me / done / rejoices / even more / rejoices / [to]
      good rebirth / gone
      He rejoices [by the thought] "I have done good".
      He rejoices even more, having gone to a good rebirth.

      pu~n~na - good deed, merit;
      me - by me;
      katan - (adj.) done (from kata, p.p. of karoti, to do);
      nandati - to rejoice, to find delight, to be happy;
      bhiyyo - (adv.) even more;
      sugati - su (good) + gati (existence, destiny);
      gato - (adj.) gone (from gata, p.p. of gacchati, to go).

      (5) Dhammapada 63
      baalo ca pa.n.ditamaanii sa ve "baalo"ti vuccati
      fool / and / proud of his cleverness / he / indeed / fool / is called
      And a fool, [who is] proud of his cleverness, he is indeed called a
      fool.

      pa.n.dita - (adj.) wise, clever, intelligent;
      maanin - (adj.) proud (of);
      pa.n.ditamaanin - (adj.) proud of one's own cleverness;
      ti - in this case, the word is an emphatic part [PED iti].

      I look forward to your comments and suggestions.

      metta,
      Yong Peng
      Message 251 of 251 , Mar 31, 2004
        Dear Nina and friends,

        thanks for that, Nina.

        metta,
        Yong Peng

        > would you tell us roughly what the comparison is about? Thanks
        again.
        > what in comparison, lord, can these five hundred carts do... etc.
        > Wheel 67-69: What, O lord, are five hundred carts- nay six, seven...
        > etc...compared with this?
        N:
        28: Now what think you Pukusa, which is the more difficult thing to
        do or to meet with - that a man, being conscious and awake, should
        neither see , nor hear the sound of five hundred cars passing by...or
        that a man, being conscious and awake, should neither see, nor hear
        the sound thereof when the falling rain goes on beating splashing,
        and the lightnings are flashing forth, and the thunderbolts are
        crashing?

        We read, <Then, Pukkusa, the thought occurred to that man:- "How
        wonderful a thing it is, and marvellous, that those who have gone
        forth out of the world should pass their time in a state of mind so
        calm!-...">

        Thus, it is more difficult not to hear the sound of rain and thunder,
        but this occurs when a high degree of calm is reached.