RE: [Pali] GREATEST DISCOVERY IN PALI "Buddhism's Highest Revelation"

  • Rosati
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 24 9:33 PM
      > im a Docotrate in Buddhology

      which university gives out Docorates in Buddology?

      just wondering.....

      Dante
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 24 10:01 PM
        Yes, please do so.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 24 10:09 PM
          Dear kenw,

          please do not send passages by Ven. Shakya Aryanatta or Darkstar Publications anymore. Your cooperation will be very much appreciated.

          Metta,
          Moderator, Pali
          Pali-owner@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 24 10:11 PM
            I have to point out that the very notion of a "True Self" is very much a Hindu concept and seriously non-buddhist. The entire passage is like a Hindu interpretation of Buddhist doctrine!

            The Noble Eightfold Path has to be understood in the context of:
            1. The Four Noble Truths
            2. The Middle Way
            3. Dependent Origination

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 24 10:33 PM
              At 12:19 AM 7/25/01 -0400, you wrote:
              >I would recommend a tablespoon of salt and a dose of Nagarjuna.<><><><><
              >
              >Nagarjuna is no more of an expert in Pali then myself...
              >
              >how can you make such an OBTUSE remark which is unsupported?

              I'm just an obtuse kinda guy, but you are not winning friends and
              influencing people with your approach.

              What you have presented is interesting, but not all that novel.

              Let us put it this way: I am here for a discussion of Pali, an interesting
              rich language. I appreciate that you shared the information about this
              book, but you are making no points here with your true believer act. While
              I may disagree with the venerable author's conclusions and much of his
              argumentation as has been presented in the stuff you uploaded for us, I
              don't think this is the place to dissect the book. As for Nagarjuna, he was
              obviously a master of Sanskrit, and of the extant prakrits, Pali is not
              that far removed.

              Be that as it may, I shall obtusely blunder on, ignoring any further
              discussion of this subject.
            • Rosati
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 25 9:25 AM
                I asked you two simple questions:

                1) Where is the Nikayas does it say that "Every Being possesses a deathless
                Essence (Atta’: True Self, Spirit,
                that which transcends on, either to painful rebirth or to Nibbatta’)?

                2)Where did you receive your "Doctorate in Buddhology" from?

                If there is an actual answer to #2, then you should be able to deal with #1
                also (except for the small hitch that I don't think the Nikayas say any such
                thing. Is that perhaps why you do not answer?)

                Dante

              • Bruce Burrill
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 25 9:38 AM
                  Dante,

                  My suggestion: ignore our problem child and he or she will eventually go
                  away. There is no talking with a True Believer.