Opaneyyiko

  • Michel Henri DUFOUR
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2003
      Here are some hints related the meaning of opanayiko (misspelled as
      opaneyyiko).
      Childers says : « As an epithet of Dhamma this word no doubt means leading
      to Nibbaana. » He further compares it with niyyaaniko.
      As far as I remember, Ajahn Chah sometimes used the word opanayiko as
      meaning « that which invites to look inward (into the heart = citta) for the
      real world (free from suffering) » as opposed to that which compels us to
      look outward (to gratify our senses and therefore increase suffering). Ajahn
      Chah being mostly interested in the practice and personal experience his
      explanations were often at variance with any scholarly position.
      I offer this to your contemplation.
      Best wishes.

      Michel Henri