Re: [Pali] Re: Mass of Fire Simile, 5th sentence

  • Dimitry Ivakhnenko
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2001
      >> "Ta.m ki.m maññatha, bhikkhave, katama.m nu kho vara.m – ya.m
      >> amu.m mahanta.m aggikkhandha.m aaditta.m sampajjalita.m
      >> sajotibhuuta.m aali'ngetvaa upanisiideyya vaa upanipajjeyya vaa,
      >> ya.m vaa khattiyakañña.m vaa braahma.nakañña.m vaa gahapatikañña.m
      >> vaa mudutalunahatthapaada.m aali'ngetvaa upanisiideyya vaa upanipajjeyya
      >> vaa"ti?

      DC> Something like this:

      DC> What do you think, monks? Which is better? Having embraced that
      DC> large, burning, blazing, glowing mass of fire, to sit or lie down
      DC> with it? Or, having embraced a noblewoman, or a woman of high birth,
      DC> or a householder woman, or a woman of tender young hands and feet, to
      DC> sit or lie down with her?

      Maybe 'to sit or lie down close to'
      'to sit or lie down near'

      Also I would preserve 'khattiya' and 'braahma.na', with footnotes
      provided.

      'vaa' is used after the enumerated item, so 'of tender young hands and
      feet' probably refers to all three types of maidens.

      'kaññaa' = a young (unmarried) woman, maiden, girl.

      Dimitry